What luggage actually looks good on a 5th gen???

Epyon007

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes the mra spoiler is worth it in slower traffic you can lower it to be level with the windscreen and it will still deflect are overhead as well as in hot weather you can aim the wind down towards your torso 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, gmtech94 said:

Or as in the case above just wing it !

Sometimes my Wing is the only way to go.  More storage is just one factor it seems.  The perfect bike is .......it depends.

gallery_2144_2760_1093730.jpg

I had Givi kit on my 800FiY and took record pix of it in various combinations on the WingRack (a Mk1). The set of five is in my gallery: -

Here's a couple more giving three-quarter views of the E21s. Slightly larger and more rectilinear E22s are now available.

If you do not know, Kappa stuff is the same as Givi, to the extent they share the same rack installation instructions, which can be found on the 'net.

HTH

5 castles run 4&5 Sept 013.jpg

5 castles run 4&5 Sept 014.jpg

• Member Contributer

It would appear so, though the emblem and reflector have been removed.  Too bad the bag and exhaust are covering up that 8 spoke! 

This would appear to answer the question of using 6th gen bags with the stock exhaust.  They're mounted higher on the red bike - the top of the case is nearly flush with the seat - but also further back.    My personal preference is for the the height on the red bike and fore to aft position of the silver one.    It's just a matter of figuring out how to attach it all to the bike.

Z1.jpg

81a2030fd2f3f82826d25b4080412d7d.jpg

All you need is a metallurgist/welder w decent creative solutions abilities... Take the original mounts and have him adapt them. If you lived in New York, Sebspeed would surely be the guy to contract. There's no reason the bags couldn't end up higher and the passenger pegs be kept in situ.

• Member Contributer

I wasn't a huge fan of riding with just the top case on my bike as it lowoked like something was missing.  Found a guy locally who was selling his Givi Wingrack, 2 bag setup (side cases only) for his bike since it was cheap, I jumped at it.  When I saw the mounts they were in great shape except for a crack on one of the plates the side case attached too.  Guy said he had never had an issue, but it was one of the reasons it was soooo cheap.  Found a Wingrack 2, new and in original packing for sale on Canada's Motorcycle that was being advertised for liquidation as the mounting brackets were no longer available and voila, I had a full Wingrack.  Overall I think the bike looks pretty decent with all three bags and there's LOTS of storage.  

Here's a photo with the Givi 257FZ mounting arms and the E55 Maxia top case only. 

IMG_1936.JPG 

And here's a photo with the Wingrack 2 and all three bags.  Top case is a Givi E55 Maxia and side bags are Givi E360.  

IMG_4278.JPG

IMG_4288.JPG

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys for this thread and replies. I have been running dualsports for decades where the job of fitting panniers (I use a Motofizz top bag) has been a cakewalk compared to figuring out what to do with my new to me Gen 5 VFR. I have looked at just about everything without solution. Have hard shell FRP ideas for a "U" case that would give the impression of a U bag. So far for me the soft looks the best, but the hard offers so much more as we know, it's just that eyewash factor.  

Do not want to jinx us but does anyone know how well the plastic cases hold up when the bike is put down at 35 mph.  

Steve 

After seeing everything I really feel that soft is the way to go.  There are some semi rigid solutions out there that could look good as they are roundish.  I'll be looking more into them.  Of course the brackets for them aren't made for 5th gens.  It would be great to have hard everything!  IMO this bike doesn't lend itself well to scaffolding and design has moved on so the current crop of luggage isn't exactly optimal. 

Right now it's fricken freezing and snow everywhere so this is just farkle torture for me hahaha.

So, knowing that it's all ugly going into it makes the decision easier I think.  I have a Rigid Tool Chest as a top case (I like that it's very tough and unique.  I think if it flew off the bike it'd be fine.).  I use soft luggage for the side bags when traveling and a 46L dry bag over the passenger seat.  It works and is very cheap.  

key%20scool.jpg

Having a rack and top case to add when going long would be nice.  It doesn't look like it's that difficult to add one.  Having that solid water proof box would be a great addition for sure.

On December 24, 2016 at 9:26 PM, OntarioHawk said:

Givi E22s on one, mounted on PL257 tubular racks. 

IMG_2416.JPG

IMG_2417.JPG

IMG_2418.JPG

I believe I've seen those cases before and they look pretty good actually!

20 hours ago, timmythecop said:

Thats groovy.  Givi took the E21 (that all agree is pretty fugly) and made those E22s.

I love em.

Thanks. I think the look pretty good. 22 litres per side, which is just big enough to stuff a size 40L aerostich roadcrafter jacket with the aerostich back protector in it. 

They're top loaders too, which is a bit more functional for me and my daily commuting routine. I have to park in a parking garage and walk through downtown to get to my office. The ability to lock my gear on the bike so I don't have to carry it with me is the big selling feature for me. 

Archived