What luggage actually looks good on a 5th gen???

Epyon007

Am I the only one that thinks 5th gens generally look goofy with luggage on them?  It's too bad that at least in the states it doesn't seem to be a very well supported bike by luggage manufactures anymore.  I'd like something with semi quickly removable plumbing.  Givi makes a quick release set for 6th gen I see.  What do you guys have, got any pictures to share.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never seen anything look good on it. Givi or otherwise. The closest you're going to get is something reasonably curvy and colour-coded. What that would be, however? No idea.

I tend to use a large backpack adjusted to sit low on my back so that the weight is taken by the seat, and not my back. If i still need more storage: Tank bag, and then maybe something small-ish bungee-tied to the back using the grabs. Or you could forego the backpack, and get a waterproof carry, Something like the oxford Aqua T70/T50/T30.

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, hellindustries said:

I've never seen anything look good on it. Givi or otherwise. The closest you're going to get is something reasonably curvy and colour-coded. What that would be, however? No idea.

Curvy and colour coded... That sounds like Corbin's Beetle Bags.

They're hard to find, aren't quick mount, won't fit a helmet, and some members here turn their noses up at them (not naming any names, ZEERO) lol

They're all I've ever had and work just fine for a week on the road.

Not my bike in the pic.

IMG_00000241.png

• Member Contributer

Not mine.  It's hard to tell if this could be accomplished with the exhaust in the stock position.  If not, besides the Unobtainium Wolf Exhaust, the only 5th gen owner I'm aware of that's created the dual under-seat exhaust from scratch is Veefer800Canuk.   The mounts look to be standard 6th gen with some added bracketry for 5th gen fitment.   I'd give the 6th gen bags on a 5th gen a passing grade for looks.  The more I look at it, at first glance I'd probably mistake it for a 6th gen, so all in all I think they blend well. 

Z1.jpg

Z2.jpg

Z3.jpg

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Epyon007 said:

Am I the only one that thinks 5th gens generally look goofy with luggage on them?  It's too bad that at least in the states it doesn't seem to be a very well supported bike by luggage manufactures anymore.  I'd like something with semi quickly removable plumbing.  Givi makes a quick release set for 6th gen I see.  What do you guys have, got any pictures to share.

I agree the 5th gen aftermarket luggage situation is not the best for looks. 

There are a couple of threads on 5th gen luggage out there.  I may have started at least one. 

Anyways here is my solution after going with soft bags for years.  Hepco Becker bags with SW Motech quick disconnect racks.

med_gallery_2144_5984_10579.jpg

I've seen the Quick Lock stuff but no one in the states sells it that I can find.  I sent Motech a message to see if they ship to the states.  That would likely be the best choice.  Now that bike looks pretty good.  Having everything packed tight like that and not too high in the back looks good.  I have Givi throw over soft luggage which actually doesn't look to bad.  A tail bag with that would be alright.

I'm trying to get myself excited about touring on this thing.  I took a trip from Minneapolis to Chicago on a Concours 1400 and I enjoyed myself.  It was nice to have a nice big super tourer but I have seen so many people do lots of miles on VFR's that part of me doesn't think I really need anything more.   

• Member Contributer

You might try Twistedthrottle for the SW Motech mounts.  They don't show the Quick Lock EVO mounts for the 5th gen, but they do have them for other Honda models and may be able to get them for the 5th gen for you.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-by-bike/honda/vfr800-interceptor-98-01?brand=742&limit=all

9 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

You might try Twistedthrottle for the SW Motech mounts.  They don't show the Quick Lock EVO mounts for the 5th gen, but they do have them for other Honda models and may be able to get them for the 5th gen for you.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-by-bike/honda/vfr800-interceptor-98-01?brand=742&limit=all

I contacted them about getting the Quick Lock Evo stuff and they can no longer get it.....

• Member Contributer

I talked to the Givi guys at a motorcycle show last year.  Told them I wanted the V35 bags with 5g VFR mounts.

They said no problem.  I think the V35 bags would look as good or better than the 6g bags on a 5g,

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Epyon007 said:

I've seen the Quick Lock stuff but no one in the states sells it that I can find.  I sent Motech a message to see if they ship to the states.  That would likely be the best choice.  Now that bike looks pretty good.  Having everything packed tight like that and not too high in the back looks good.  I have Givi throw over soft luggage which actually doesn't look to bad.  A tail bag with that would be alright.

I'm trying to get myself excited about touring on this thing.  I took a trip from Minneapolis to Chicago on a Concours 1400 and I enjoyed myself.  It was nice to have a nice big super tourer but I have seen so many people do lots of miles on VFR's that part of me doesn't think I really need anything more.   

My VFRD touring thread about V4s to Utah has lost most of the pictures (many are in my gallery though) with VFRD software changes over the years so here is what my 99 looked like heading out. 

gallery_2144_7292_2707665.jpg

Too much crap here plus I have now added a cot to my camping burden.  Subtract the camping factor and you can get by with lots less stuff. That is a good way to start VFR touring ie no camping. I actually tried to find Timmy's bags when I finally pulled the trigger upgrading to hard bags but no such animal by then.  The V35 bags would be ideal but how to mount...never found a solution for that on a 5th gen.  One factor to consider is that junk expands to the room available so big bags means more well "junk".

The really clean and lighter look about 10 years ago. This is with camping gear too but no chair, cooler and much much smaller pad & tent then and few amenities and electronics.

gallery_2144_2004_285359.jpg

• Member Contributer

Twenty five years ago the only hard luggage you could get in the USA (that wasn't on a BMW) was the Krauser K2 panniers sold by Suzuki for the Katana (IIRC).  But having experienced a 4-month tour using soft luggage and having seen so many sport bikes in Europe with hard luggage I imported a set for my new VFR750FL, but had to weld my own brackets because the bike was too new.  Needless to say, riding that bike around California I was well "before my time", and some of the comments I got were not vey kind!  The one that sticks in my mind was "the dumpster look"...

Hard luggage is never going to be "attractive", and if anything the Beetle Bag proves that attempting to do so isn't always appreciated by other riders (and that is probably to nicest thing I have ever said about them!).  Above all, hard luggage is designed to be practical, so as long as it doesn't cause people to reach for the barf bag all that matters, IMHO, is that it works. 

Ciao,

8 hours ago, BonusVFR said:

gallery_2144_2004_285359.jpg

That really does look about as good as its going to get.  Maybe I'll just stay with soft luggage.  I don't know that I can even afford time or money to get to crazy with touring anyway.  But seeing this make excited to get on the road! :)

Yeah no thanks.  I don't want to ride that on any entertaining road and I'm sure I can't afford to buy one!  hahaha.  I mean your only one wheel off, may as well get a car then. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Epyon007 said:

Problem solved, oh yeah nevermind the US doesn't get this......

2015-Honda-VFR800X-Crossrunner5.jpg

Not sure we could use it either IF it dropped the same % in HP as the VFR1200X compared to the standard VFR1200F.  The reviews I read said 107 for the 1200X :wacko:

41 minutes ago, CornerCarver said:

Not sure we could use it either IF it dropped the same % in HP as the VFR1200X compared to the standard VFR1200F.  The reviews I read said 107 for the 1200X :wacko:

I'd be fine if they dropped the 1200X in favor of the 800X.  I want standard 17 inch wheels.  Do people really need 18 and 19 inch front wheels on these bikes?  Are they REALLY using them for any kind of serious off roading?  I know the best I would do is maybe some fire trails or something.  I have seen guys do serious off roading with stock Ducati Hyperstrada's.  So why do you NEED a big wheel on a bike that will likely never see dirt, besides road grime?

Archived