BRP planning help needed

Sweeper

I'm planning a one day out and one day back trip for spring or early summer. My daughter rides well enough to ride the Parkway at legal speeds and I think it would be safer than any of the other mountain roads because most hooligans avoid it.  I was looking at Cherokee to Little Switzerland or Ashville north to the state line.  Any thoughts? Planning lots of stops because she has never ridden more than a couple of hours in a day before. We'll work on that this spring. My wife may ride with me on the VFR so that will also mean more stops. I'd appreciate any tips from those who have done it or you locals.IMG_3166.JPG

• Member Contributer

Very nice road, even when the weather was as shyte as it was when I was there. riding from Little Switzerland to Franklin...

But I had not flown across the Atlantic to do super slab did I now?

2dadbb94.jpg

986ab24f.jpg

495af6e1.jpg

I reckoned the police would be sheltering, so I cannot say I stuck to the posted limit...... 5th amendment and all that :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I think it is a great idea!  I would suggest starting near the VA/NC border and working your way south.  From the border south to Mt Mitchell is more farm land, rolling hills, less distracting scenery and normally less traffic.  That would give you a few hours of "learning" before you get to the better views, sharper turns, more elevation changes and more traffic of the BRP between Mt. Mitchell and Ashville.

That way you also get to tempt her with Ashville to Cherokee in the future with all the high points of the parkway and tunnels.

BRP 2014.jpg

Thanks Sam that's a good point. I keep trying to think of how tired the girls will be compared to me. That way I can go back for the truck if either of them ops out of day two without excess travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

That is another good thing about the BRP, with all the pull offs, you can take breaks every so often to get off the bike and walk around a bit.  Hopefully that will keep them from wanting to turn around, plus you get to tell them it (the road/scenery) keeps getting better!!!

• Member Contributer

If you venture too close to Squirrel Spur, there are hooligans nearby.  But you will need to pass that to get to Mabry Mill and the Poor Farmer's Market in Meadows of Dan, VA.  Route 8 through Tuggle's Gap to the South is fun, too.  Let me know when you go, I might meet up for lunch if you come up this way.

2 hours ago, Auspanglish said:

Hooligans?

Are they that bad? What do they do? Rob you at gunpoint? I thought hooligans only happened at football matches...

emoji43.png

IMG_3109.JPG

IMG_3106.JPG

• Member Contributer

I see you caught one of the hooligans napping.  Hard to get a picture of them in the wild, otherwise.

Archived