Need help deciding if I should switch to a VFR

14thumper

Hi,

First post, I hope everyone is well...

I'm considering a new leftover VFR, still deciding Deluxe or not.  Only real feature I crave is the remote preload as I feel the upgraded fork is nice but nothing special because not much adjustments are added.  Am I wrong about the fork?  ABS and TC not too critical but nice.  It's about a $1.5k difference it seems in otd pricing.

Right now I have a '14 CB1000R (may favorite bike ever!), a '09 FZ1 and a '14 WR250R.  I'm using the FZ1 for longer rides and two up with the lady.  It's ok for that but she's not interested in more than 150 miles a day.  The FZ1 is nice but I love the looks and everything of the VFR.

I'm 6'1" 235 and the lady is 5'4" 120 btw.

1. How's the VFR for long distance?  I imagine a lot better with bar risers.  How's the seat?

2. The clutch pull seems heavy to me.  How does everyone feel?  I have a bad left wrist but FZ1 is ok, although a little hard.  My CB1000R and WR250R are both smooth and easy.

3. Anyone ever own the FZ1 gen 2 and can compare?

4. Any main issues with the VFR?

5. How hard is it to adjust rear shock preload on the base model?

I sold my FJR thinking the FZ1 would be enough.  I'm also considering an ST1300 (not sure how hard the clutch pull is on it) but it seems a bit boring and the heat issue worries me.

Again, this will mainly be for two up or longer rides of 400-500 miles.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cannot answer all your questions.

Cover 250-300 miles in a day some solo and two up. No problems with stock bars and find seat comfortable for all day comfort.

Never noticed clutch pull so mustn't be a problem for me but also have the quickshifter which makes for smooth changes. Stops any hand banging when two up. No issues  to report with mine. 14,000 miles and just tyres changed. 

2 hours ago, 14thumper said:

1. How's the VFR for long distance?  I imagine a lot better with bar risers.  How's the seat?

2. The clutch pull seems heavy to me.  How does everyone feel?  I have a bad left wrist but FZ1 is ok, although a little hard.  My CB1000R and WR250R are both smooth and easy.

I sold my FJR thinking the FZ1 would be enough.  I'm also considering an ST1300 (not sure how hard the clutch pull is on it) but it seems a bit boring and the heat issue worries me.

I'm 6'2" @ 240 lbs and 58 years young.  I really needed the bar risers and got the Motopumnps 1.25" bar risers, which helps immensely.  I've done a couple 400 and 300 mile rides, and they've all left me with monkey butt squirming around on the seat.  Clutch pull is normal for me.  No issues with my 2015 DLX so far.  Don't know about the base model, as I never considered anything but the DLX due to shock adjustment, heated grips, ABS and center stand.  As a 2-up longer ride bike, the ST1300 would be a better choice IMHO - much better pillion comfort.  I had a 2004 ST1300 and it was a very nice bike, but I think the new FJR or Triumph Trophy SE would be a better tourer with more amenities, and still give you a sporty ride.

• Member Contributer

Of the touring bikes mentioned the FJR 2016 model would be the one to beat.  The st1300 whilst still a great bike is outclassed, because it has never been updated since 2002 so compared to a NEW FJR it sadly looses out due to lack of features.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Yes, the FJR is probably the best option but since I already had one for a while it's not so appealing to get another.  I also like the Concours 14 ABS and it's an option but I'm really trying to find something in between the FZ1 and the FJR.  Some of what I read leads me to believe the VFR is that platform, other content leads me to believe the VFR is very similar to my FZ1.

• Member Contributer

You might miss the cubes. 

I love my V4 but compared to the other bikes mentioned, it's a glorified moped.

It is plenty fast for public roads but you need to keep it in the right gear, especially two-up. Since you have a condition weakening your left hand, you may find it a bit onerous. 

Consider the vfr1200. There are like new fully sorted and equipped examples available for under $9k. 400 mile days @ 80mph and 40 mpg are the norm. The pillion is decent and roomy, vibration is minimal. Btw, I'm 67, 6'3", 220#. No mods to the ergos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you aware that 2012 was the last year for the ST1300 in the US?  If so, I'm guessing you're thinking of a used one?

Based on all your info, I'm not sure the VFR800 would be the best fit for your garage.  You're looking at over 350 lbs of people weight + gear and stuff, being pushed by only 100 hp.  If you're looking for the "perfect 2-up sport tourer", there are probably better options.  However, if cost is a deciding factor, it is hard to beat the current prices on leftover VFRs (there is a new 2014 Deluxe here in Denver for $7800...that's $5700 off of original MSRP!).  The VFR800 is a great do-it-all bike for the "one bike" owner, but it doesn't really have that dedicated purpose for a multi-bike garage.  That being said, if you do go for the 800, get the Deluxe.

As for the VFR1200...even though leftover 2013's are available, and it has tons more power, it has a short range for an ST, and no real electronics package besides ABS.  But it would probably be slightly better as a dedicated 2-up sporty bike than the 800, just because of the power.  But it too is designed as a do-it-all sport bike, so it's not an expert at any one thing...besides horsepower...it has gobs of it!!  And it is fairly lightweight compared to the other big ST's.

As great as the 8th gen is, if I had a dedicated sporty bike like your CB and was in the market for a 2-up ST where cost wasn't a critical factor, my short list would include the current FJR 1300ES, Kawi Concours 14, the new BMW R1200RT, Ducati Multistrada 1200S, and the KTM 1290 Super Adventure.

33 minutes ago, DriverDave said:

Are you aware that 2012 was the last year for the ST1300 in the US?  If so, I'm guessing you're thinking of a used one?

Actually, there are new 2012 ST1300s still being sold - my local dealer has 2 of them on the floor.  But at over $18k, no thank you.

• Member Contributer

St 1300 are a great bike for 2 up and do not have all the hype of the other ones mentioned but are very bit as good in the right hands as the others . There are also lots of aftermarket things to set it up for your personal needs . Clutch pull is very easy and can be adjusted by the lever . Tires and oil changes are about the only maintenance needed .

12 hours ago, 14thumper said:

Hi,

First post, I hope everyone is well...

I'm considering a new leftover VFR, still deciding Deluxe or not.  Only real feature I crave is the remote preload as I feel the upgraded fork is nice but nothing special because not much adjustments are added.  Am I wrong about the fork?  ABS and TC not too critical but nice.  It's about a $1.5k difference it seems in otd pricing.

Right now I have a '14 CB1000R (may favorite bike ever!), a '09 FZ1 and a '14 WR250R.  I'm using the FZ1 for longer rides and two up with the lady.  It's ok for that but she's not interested in more than 150 miles a day.  The FZ1 is nice but I love the looks and everything of the VFR.

Again, this will mainly be for two up or longer rides of 400-500 miles.

My man you have come to the right place as I own both of these lovely machines.

1.VFR is pretty comfy long distance, I bought mine and rode it nearly 1000km home the same day I bought it. The only issue I had was my butt got kind sore after about 600-700km but if you put one of those gel pads on or even get a Sergeants seat or something aftermarket I'm sure that would disappear completely

2. Yeah clutch is kinda on the heavy side being a hydraulic they tend to be, you can change springs and get aftermarket levers to adjust the feel, the stock levers do adjust but not enough for my taste, I bought a set of shorty AVG style levers from a place here in OZ that makes custom ones and they pretty much eliminated how heavy it felt just because of how much I can adjust them

3.So comparing the FZ1 and VFR is kinda difficult as they are two completely different beasts, I find the FZ-1 exhilarating to ride (As an aside, my FZ-1 is heavily modded to the point the only thing left I can do is supercharge or turbo it to get more power. Which I am looking to do later this year.) the VFR is quite obviously more subdued, and with the VFR honestly even though my VFR is an '02 the engine feels more "refined" much more linear torque curve makes the ride feel almost effortless when accelerating. The VFR is basically my daily workhorse(down at the moment though coz Seb is modding my clutch cover) at your height I would recommend an aftermarket windshield, I got a double bubble dark smoke and at me being 5'8" it completely eliminated any wind buffeting. The VFR is more flickable with the 180/55 rear tyre which to "ME" felt a little squirly at first coz I was so used to the 190/50 on the FZ1 but if you're riding two up I doubt you'll be laying down the knee like I tried when I first bought it and nearly dumped it. Honestly two up and touring is where it is at with the VFR, it's not a sports bike in it's body style or riding position but the engine is of racing origin(although obviously tuned for touring and not racing)

4.Depending on the year there are some different issues, the revised model from '14 up as far as I know doesn't have any notorious issues but I'm sure someone will correct me on this.

5.It'll be easier than mine I can tell you that much

If you only want better suspension, I think spending $1k on DMr would probably give you better results. As a commuter, I think I probably should have gone with ABS, but I was impatient and wanted to take a bike home that day. Not really missed, but probably would have been a good idea.

Mmm,  truthfully the VFR is a tad small for what you're asking of it IMO. if it were me looking for a bike with those numbers, easy FJR here.  I like the STs too but the Yamaha just has it together     Meh...  maybe a VFR1200 maybe,  nice bike and all,  just doesn't do it for me. Now if your one up that"s a whole other ball game.  One might take a peek at the BMWs as well. 

• Member Contributer

I'm 54, 165# and have one bike - a 2005 6th Gen VFR800. It's perfect for me right now - Dirt cheap; I ride solo mostly, but do an annual trip with a brother who has a '95 Valkyrie. We run 3-400 mile days for a week, which I can do easily. We avoid the interstates, so there's a fair amount of stop-and-go in those miles and we find the twistiest ones out there, which speaks to your clutch question.

for 2-up rides and your size, you definitely need more than the 800, especially with other great bikes in your garage. I'm debating an upgrade to the VFR1200 since my riding buddies have bikes like the BMWR1200RT, FJR1300 & Valkyrie. I've always liked the Triumph Sprint 1050 (2008 or newer), and also been drooling over the BMWR1200RS, if money's not a problem, but think the VFR1200 can do everything I need for under $10k. Like another poster, I would like better range, but it hasn't been a showstopper yet.

Good luck!

• Member Contributer

Kinda out of the box but you might want to investigate a bmw k1300s. if you like it you might consider swapping the cb1000r and the fz1 for a new one ... i hear its a great bike and if you can find a new one deals can be had since it is being discontinued. And bmw typically have soft clutch pull (at least the boxer motors do but the s1000r does not) and they come with a 3 year warranty.

And just to reiterate since it seems an important requirement, the bmw boxer bikes have very soft clutch pulls so you might want to try one (like a r1200rs like mentioned above).

Well, you guys raise some good points.  I'm open to other bikes but no BMW or Triumph, too many friends have had problems.  I barely have time to ride so prefer minimal wrenching.  As for the CB1000R, that will be buried with me so can't sell it. :)

I feel a bit that I'm attracted to the VFR because it's unique.  I love the idea of a V4, I dig single sided swingarms, I love the wheels, etc.

How does everyone feel the power is compared to my FZ1?  I know my FZ1 ultimately has more power but I mean midrange and touring two up.  I don't mod bikes btw.  I do still love the ST1300 just worried about if the clutch is stiff, the fact it's dated and also the heat issue.  For whatever reason I'm craving Honda lately...

2 hours ago, 14thumper said:

Well, you guys raise some good points.  I'm open to other bikes but no BMW or Triumph, too many friends have had problems.  I barely have time to ride so prefer minimal wrenching.  As for the CB1000R, that will be buried with me so can't sell it. :)

I feel a bit that I'm attracted to the VFR because it's unique.  I love the idea of a V4, I dig single sided swingarms, I love the wheels, etc.

How does everyone feel the power is compared to my FZ1?  I know my FZ1 ultimately has more power but I mean midrange and touring two up.  I don't mod bikes btw.  I do still love the ST1300 just worried about if the clutch is stiff, the fact it's dated and also the heat issue.  For whatever reason I'm craving Honda lately...

As I said before I have both an 06 FZ1 and an 02 VFR which is engine wise pretty much the same as the newer ones just a lower engagement range for the VTEC. In all honesty I prefer my VFR, my FZ1 is my future track bike, on the road it's just no where near as practical as the VFR. The VFR has better range, much more comfortable to ride long distances be it with panniers, passengers or both.

The linear respose of the V4 is satisfying to ride, the growl of the pipes (especially with an aftermarket slip on). It's a bike that doesn't require modding especially the Deluxe model, if I ever sell my 02 VFR i'll be buying the deluxe. TC, ABS, heated grips, self cancelling turn signals, cruise control. It's kitted the fuck out as is and yet still weighs some 10 pounds less than my year's VFR. 

I like the ST1300 on paper, but aesthetically it looks gawdy to me. The VFR1200 is also to me a great option, I'd love to test ride the DCT version seems interesting though not sure if I'd actually own a DCT one.

• Member Contributer

I test rode an 8th gen, own a modified 5th, and also a 1990 ST1100. Although the ST initially feels a bit sluggish (very heavy crank I think), once you recalibrate your expectations it is a FAR better long distance mount, with a relaxed ride position, good wind protection, huge tank range and a comfy seat. With some cheap mods it actually has plenty of ground clearance and the cornering stability on rough roads is excellent. My 5th gen is marvelous fun, a great handler and pretty zippy, but not a patch on the ST for long distances. I haven't ridden a ST1300 or FJR, but for a 500 mile day these would be where I would look. There are quite a few former St1300 owners now riding FJR's.

I haven't ridden an FZ1 but I moved from a CB1000R to the 8th gen VFR so can compare a bike you know with the VFR.  I'm 6'2" tall and weigh 165lb so it's worth considering that your extra weight is going to have quite an effect on the VFR's performance.

The CB1000R flicks between tight S-bends much more readily than the heavy VFR but the VFR flows beautifully on less tight roads.  I always loved the CB1000R's easy grunt.  You can ride that bike in fifth or sixth and still overtake traffic with ease.  The VFR lacks torque compared with the CB so I find myself changing down into third for most overtakes and sometimes second.  There's very little power below 8000rpm, which is a big change from the CB where I rarely went over 7000rpm in everyday riding.  So you have to keep the VFR on the boil and that can become a literal pain in the clutch hand.  I too have a ligament problem in that hand from mountain biking and I sometimes end up with a lot of pain on a long ride.

I fitted the bar risers and have the seat in the higher position.  The position is pretty comfortable and I don't suffer any issues with wind buffeting.  The seat is generally comfortable but my long legs are more cramped than on the CB so I end up with a sore in the top of my legs, along the edges of the seat.

So, what's to like about the VFR?  Refinement.  That engine is so smooth compared with the CB's and the noise is intoxicating.  It's not very fast unless you thrash it but it's a lovely experience.  The bike flows beautifully.  The gearbox is a revelation after the CB and everything feels more refined.  The fairing works well and the heated grips are a real boon.

I use the VFR1200 almost exclusively for 2up touring. The wife and I are not big people, but there is WAY more than enough power for anything I want to do. It's very stable at high speed and with a skilled rider, can carve corners with some of the best liter bikes. With the DCT, there are no concerns about clutch pull. The wife finds the pillion accommodations quite comfortable for longer (3-400 mile) rides, but I feel that it leans a little too far towards the sport end of the sport-touring segment for the way we use it. You'd probably not feel that way if you've been touring on an FZ1.

6 hours ago, Blazerdman said:

It's a bike that doesn't require modding especially the Deluxe model, if I ever sell my 02 VFR i'll be buying the deluxe. TC, ABS, heated grips, self cancelling turn signals, cruise control. It's kitted the fuck out as is and yet still weighs some 10 pounds less than my year's VFR. 

Here in the US, we have no OEM cruise control option on the 8th gen VFR.  That would be very nice to have, but the OEM quick shifter option is quite good.

Cruise control would have made that package much more appealing. An included quick shifter definitely would have sealed the deal. I've never heard overwhelming praise for self-cancelling turn signals. If automatic transmissions annoy the piss out of me, I can't see living with the turn signals.

I don't think a vehicle exists that doesn't require modding, but that's just me.

Archived