Pillion seat storage 6g

boOZZIE

• Member Contributer

I always ride solo and have been doing so for many years now (pillions add weight☺), all the while only carrying the basic tools. On the weekends, just day trips up to the mountains seeking out the corners and the commute to work during the week. 

Over the years I have been fortunate enough not to have any bike troubles or flat tyres until the other week when a 2" bolt punctured the rear. Luckily enough I was only a couple of minutes away from home before it was completely flat.

This got me to thinking that I need more and better tools - puncture repair kit more to the point - and a place to put them and no, as big as her rear is there is not much room in there.

I didn't want to rely on the top box for the storage solution because for the weekends I don't like an air brake.

So after a couple of days of pondering I came up with this, a spare seat, cutting out the foam where a anchor would usually sit.20160902_164737.jpg

And this is the amount of foam that came out

20160902_164957.jpg

20160902_165030.jpg

• Member Contributer

For a sport touring bike the storage capacity is pathetic.  How is the added storage volume accessed?   Maybe through the bottom of the seat pan, or how?   

• Member Contributer

On my 6g, I am able to stuff a flat repair kit, 2 co2 cartridges, the tool kit with a few extras, my paperwork, a GPS chain oiler module, fuses, disposable gloves and a rag. Storage isn't soooo bad.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

For a sport touring bike the storage capacity is pathetic.  How is the added storage volume accessed?   Maybe through the bottom of the seat pan, or how?   

I put some pop snaps around the under side of the fabric and the plastic.

So the cowl goes over as usual. Security still good.

To access :- unlock seat, - take seat off, - take cowl off, - undo pop snaps 

148195718098078597224.jpg

• 3 months later...

I did something similar just the other year. Managed to source a cheap seat off the bay, cut off the pillion section of the foam, recovered the seat and added the seat hump. This pivots forward from the two frankenstein bolts with just a 5mm extension of the slot that the lug sits in. The rear was secured with a simple lock. If I could do it again then I wouldn't have lopped off the two rear retaining lugs completely but was quite pleased with the result. I now have enough space (just) for waterproofs, some water or my DSLR - just not all at once. Still, made a handy little cubby...

IMG_2300 (Small).jpg

IMG_2302 (Small).jpg

IMG_2304 (Small).jpg

IMG_2305 (Small).jpg

IMG_2308 (Small).jpg

IMG_2311 (Small).jpg

IMG_2313 (Small).jpg

DSC00466 (Small).JPG

• Member Contributer

I b

12 hours ago, Ghostrider said:

I did something similar just the other year. Managed to source a cheap seat off the bay, cut off the pillion section of the foam, recovered the seat and added the seat hump. This pivots forward from the two frankenstein bolts with just a 5mm extension of the slot that the lug sits in. The rear was secured with a simple lock. If I could do it again then I wouldn't have lopped off the two rear retaining lugs completely but was quite pleased with the result. I now have enough space (just) for waterproofs, some water or my DSLR - just not all at once. Still, made a handy little cubby...

I made something similar for a Suzuki I had. I made a fibreglass Hump and added a hatch to access the contents, I removed the back of the seat base and that gave me even more space but the lock assembly on Honda is at the back so a bit more difficult.

I may do something similar for my 6th Gen.

seatbox.jpg

Archived