Help identify this mystery part!

carlitos92

• Member Contributer

So, my 2007 ABS model is currently disassembled, awaiting DMr suspension rework, and a Factory Pro shift kit and Galfer lines under the Christmas tree.

This little guy fell out as I was popping the bike off the center stand for a bit.  At that time, I had just removed the rear fender, so I figure it was held by one of the bolts in the rear of the bike, nominally under the seat.  I am guessing the round bar at one on end held electrical connectors but could be wrong.

Anybody recognize this piece?  Thanks in advance!

IMG_4519.JPG

IMG_4521.JPG

• Member Contributer

That goes on the battery side below the cover that wraps around the key hole for the seat latch.

item #7 in this diagram...

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2007/VFR800+AC/REAR+FENDER/parts.html

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, Duc2V4 said:

That goes on the battery side below the cover that wraps around the key hole for the seat latch.

item #7 in this diagram...

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2007/VFR800+AC/REAR+FENDER/parts.html

That was fast.  I recognize it now.  Thanks bud!

• Member Contributer
28 minutes ago, Epyon007 said:

How was the removal of the shock?

It was a royal PITA, and I am not talking about "a mediterranean flatbread fit for a king."

Kidding - it wasn't too bad.  But with all the stuff I am doing, it's a bit of a binge/purge maintenance situation for me.  I've filled up four egg cartons with nuts, bolts, and clips.  :wacko:

IMG_4516.JPG.jpeg

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Epyon007 said:

How was the removal of the shock?

By the time you are to the point of threading the remote preload adjuster out, you've already disassembled the bike anyway. I didn't find it a big deal.

If you follow the service manual literally, it will have you remove the rear headers. I called an early audible on that and said "no way."  I was right on that one; it is much easier to undo the linkage at the swingarm and drop the shock through the hole.

Did you take the Clevis out for the top or just take the bolts out of the shock?  It seems mind boggling that you need to pull the bike that far apart.  Every other bike I have ever seen was unbolt it and pull it out, basically.

• Member Contributer

Again, I am doing a LOT of stuff...  all the fluids, a shift kit, and some other tidbits.  It looks worse than what is truly needed for just shock removal.  I haven't even pulled the 13 brake/clutch lines yet!  :unsure:

I removed the clevis. I wanted to follow the service manual since it'll be a few weeks between disassembly and reassembly. I'm way too forgetful to not have an airtight roadmap for help. 

It really is quite easy. The op is performing other jobs so it looks worse.

Dismount remote preload adjuster from rear subchassis, remove rear wheel. Unbolt linkage. Jack up swing arm. Undo top bolt. Wiggle out.

I did not touch headers or anything much else. I believe I recall lifting the tank...

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Epyon007 said:

Well keep us informed!  I'm hoping to get a 6th gen for 2up and touring duties and I would like an ABS model, then send my stuff out to Jamie at DMr to get fixed up.

Will do.  It occurred to me that I am upgrading pretty much every human interface with the machine, other than the throttle.  It should feel like a brand new bike.  Which'll be nice, since for a 220 lb guy on 10-year old OEM suspension bits and fork oil, it's a bit like riding a waterbed on casters with a small block attached to it.  

I'm doing the suspension on my RC51 this winter.  I'm doing a track day at COTA next season and I figure stock 16 year old suspension isn't likely to be up to the job hahaha.

• Member Contributer
On 12/14/2016 at 5:34 AM, Epyon007 said:

I'm doing the suspension on my RC51 this winter.  I'm doing a track day at COTA next season and I figure stock 16 year old suspension isn't likely to be up to the job hahaha.

One of the first things I did to my 5 Gen was upgrade the suspension. Sent the forks and a Penske shock to Jamie Daugherty to do his magic and have nothing but good things to say. In fact JD has done all three of my bikes. Considering the Duc has Showa suspension and JD has a knack for Showa, I sent him the forks and shock off of my 900SS earlier this year and again, good stuff!

Will do.  It occurred to me that I am upgrading pretty much every human interface with the machine, other than the throttle.  It should feel like a brand new bike.  Which'll be nice, since for a 220 lb guy on 10-year old OEM suspension bits and fork oil, it's a bit like riding a waterbed on casters with a small block attached to it.  

220? What's all that about?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm going to have Jamie do my 5th Gen this coming season.  When and which items I haven't decided yet.  I'm tempted to go all the way on both ends.  But I may go in the middle with a rebuild/revalve on the rear and the fully adjustable front end swap...  I just wish I knew what my tax return and work bonus are going to look like so I can make a better decision.  Also with the announcement of the Ducati Multistrada 950 coming out I'm thinking it's time to start saving some money...

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

So my bike is all back together and I gave her a good shakedown run this afternoon. After all that work, I only lost one bolt (rear cowl hex bolt) so I think I did pretty good.  No parts left over!  :happy:

I did lose the centerstand, which wasn't intentional at first, but has its benefits.

Maintenance-wise, I replaced all the fluids and filters, and the brake pads. I also replaced the license plate light with a direct-swap LED which is quite nice.

While I was there, I also took a Dremel to the rear fender aka mudflap that hangs way the hell out there in back. I wanted the stock license plate location, but not the rest of it. All but the most discerning eye would not know my setup is OEM.

So, verdicts on the upgrades:

* Factory Pro shift kit: AWESOME. The bike should come from the factory this way. Great feel.  Very worth it. 

* DMr suspension rework: AWESOME.  The bike should come from the factory this way, too. Lol. I went with the re-sprung/valved OEM components, and it's night and day. I don't even have it dialed in yet. Totally worth it.

* Galfer SS brake/clutch line kit: PENDING. It's been months since I've ridden the OEM setup, and it's hard to do a back-to-back comparison here. But I'm not blown away so far. It may be that there's still a little air in the system, or the fact that the pads are new. Not sure. 

* EBC HH brake pads: PENDING. See above.

I'll put up some pics shortly. 

Archived