I need some guidance from the collective...

• Member Contributer

Whoever suggested the ST or VFR for the cross continent then pick up Stephen's 500 for the north and south trip was barking up the right tree!

As far as building an 800X, the engine and drivetrain would be proven VFR durable (possibly with a spare R/R!) and the forks are just making sure the bolts are tight. After verifying geometry, of course. GMD is a short drive away in North GA. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
44 minutes ago, KevCarver said:

I can tell you the review. It's great but has tubed tires...

I felt the same way until I started reading that some KTM 1190R folks are putting tubes in the fronts as a bent rim does not hold air (tube does though).

My KLR rear after I cleaned the dirt off courtesy of one MF huge Alaska pothole.

19219630274_14c49588ec_z.jpg /url]

• Member Contributer
35 minutes ago, KevCarver said:

Oh man, you're not helping...:rolleyes::goofy:

Most likely I would still want tubeless but ..............you never know?  I guess the correct answer is ......IT Depends or the Perfect Bike for what? 

OK I am ready for the review now.

• Member Contributer
On 12/27/2016 at 11:18 PM, Sweeper said:

So you can't buy an 800x here but you can build one. Is it not mostly a parts bin special?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears to be not as much a parts bin special as we initially hoped.  Still we will press on, the 1200X wheel is in route from Germany.  It does not appear that it will directly bolt to an 8G rear hub so we will call on some VFRD brothers to help fab some additional parts.  Still trying to determine how to raise the rear and fit a shock with additional travel.

Have pretty much settled on 1000 V Strom front end as the forks are the same as the 650 but have cartridge internals in place of the cheaper 650 internals. Lots of discussions on the Vstrom forum regarding fork flex and it appears that the fork tubes are pretty close together and flexy so still looking at options for the triples and possibly late model VStrom USD forks.

Stay tuned and please keep the input coming, especially if you see us about to step into something that you have already done and regretted.

• Member Contributer
On 12/28/2016 at 7:31 AM, 007 said:

This makes the most sense of any of the recommendations.  The only problem will be getting it done before the trip, and as I recall there are already a number of unfinished projects hanging in the balance.  Even if it is completed just before the trip, the idea of taking an untested Frankenviffer to Alaska is tenuous at the least.

Only one of those projects you see in the shop has to be done soon (the 25th anniversary VFR) and we think we can have a running Frankenviffer to ride around here before mid-March.

• Member Contributer

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ohio-alaska-honduras-as-long-as-it-takes-me.362479/

Here is a link to my buddy's Istvan's trip. He was pretty much trying to do it on a low budget solo on a terrible KLR650. Some pretty good info once you get closer to the pacific NW part. It is a highly entertaining read, as he is a pretty good writer. I can always give you his contact info if you want to ask specific questions on his experience.

My takeaway from his experience is: always have extra gas cans. Don't do it on a KLR. Don't ride bicycles maintained by hippies.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for that link Yoshi!  I am going to lose most of my day reading it.

This has me thinking I really need to get a leg over on the AT this week.

• Member Contributer

A good friend of mine (who in the 70's rode a XT500 from NL to South Africa) recently traded his XT1200Z -and his GF her 1200GS) for a set of AT's, they are very very happy.

They are keen offoaders but value comfort on tarmac too.

If you have the chance, do try one!

• Member Contributer

No.  Great idea though.  And I am heading to the Clemson beating of Alabama in the morning so it will be later in the week before I get to try it out.  Running into a few issues with off set on the 1200X wheel mounting face versus 3/4/5/6/8 Gen offsets.

If we don't find a wheel solution by the end of the month we are moving in a different direction AT?).

14 hours ago, CornerCarver said:

Running into a few issues with off set on the 1200X wheel mounting face versus 3/4/5/6/8 Gen offsets.

If we don't find a wheel solution by the end of the month we are moving in a different direction AT?).

It's really only a single issue, and if my idea pans out it will work beautifully.

Waiting with wild anticipation for the AT review...

• Member Contributer
On 1/7/2017 at 7:37 PM, CornerCarver said:

And I am heading to the Clemson beating of Alabama in the morning so it will be later in the week before I get to try it out.

Step #1 complete!

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer
19 hours ago, 007 said:

Wow! That is... something. I get the feeling the left hand and foot would get bored. But I can't tell for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

CC - Thought of you when I saw this in San Diego yesterday. 

large.588e1af70e2e3_WP_20170127_002CRF10

Apparently riding in Alaska is not great in January!  Tires biased for long distance seems to be his choice.  So at least an Africa Twin is an option for heading South. 

Now that padding for camping (?) would not be my preference.  I opted for a cot a few years back and it has been HUGE!  I will post up if you are still looking for options here.

So based on what you have ridden so far:

1. Save money and take the ST1300 which would be great for most of the trip to get there and adequate in Alaska.  Rent a KLR up there if you want to ride really tough stretches in dirt/gravel to Artic Circle etc. That way your Uncle could rest and see the sights for a few days.  One of our problems in our 3 week trip is that we did not have time to explore a town/city for a day or so.

2. Spend the $$ and buy a GSA which would be perfect for the trip up and better than the ST for crappy roads under repair etc in Alaska.  Have to love the big tank too.  Ideal bike for loafing along with a Harley.  That bike would be superb for most conditions but would be a handful if the weather turned to crap and you were fully loaded with street focused tires in the mud.  I passed a bunch of the Big BMWs struggling on the "Top of the World" Highway in the pouring rain for example.  The pristine GSA could have a few dings though when you get back.

When I go back to Alaska I will either do a repeat of my KLR voyage or buy a CRF1000.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Wow, so many great suggestions, and an Epic trip that has been on my bucket list for over 15 years. (my original plan was to do it on the Vmax's with my cousin and pulling a trailer with fuel and supplies (I do tow a dirt bike around)

I also of course ride many bikes and if you are going new so you can write about the tip etc. I would look at amore adventure bike and with that shoot out and how you want to ride I think the KTM 1190R would be the right ticket to have fun no matter how you are riding.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, wonder how the bike selection panned out.

When you are sitting on a fastball and the guy on the mound flings one in towards your head that bends gently over the plate for strike three...

To review the selection criterion for the new mount was a bike that would pair nicely with the HD that my uncle was taking to Alaska. This is his trip that he has been planning for several years. So, the bike that I would have purchased for myself for such an adventure was 60/40 the Triumph Explorer 1200 over the BMW GS. I loved the Triumph test ride and it seems that the transmission issues of the of the 2014-2015 models have been resolved in the 2017 release.  Still don't get the warm fuzzies about some of the warranty issues I had read about from other Triumph owners when I consider what was ahead for this bike on this trip.  

My like affair with the big BMW is documented in this this thread on the test ride.  I think the initial vague feel from the front on turn in would be soon forgotten and the bikes reputation and capabilities are as stellar as everything you have read on it.

That being said, Tim (my uncle) last owned something other than a Harley when he sold his Triumph in 1978 (IIRC) and bought his first Harley. The outcome of my efforts to seduce him to an ST1300 were destined to fall as flat as North Korean missile test. So what's a guy to do?

I swerved back to the tried and true Honda tent and tossed an F6B in the back of the Tundra for the ride home.  The Honda dealer in Rockingham North Carolina (Sport Cycle) does a well enough job in accommodating out of town buyers.  They buy Hondas in bulk and offer great pricing.  I picked up the GL1800 F6B Deluxe for $16,498 plus TTL. List price is $21,500 or so.  We only had one SNAFU, the bike that I reserved to pick up at noon on Wednesday was not out of the crate yet when I arrived at 1212...the sales guy (Keith) had confused the dates and had me down for a pick up a week later.

We waited 3 hours for it to be assembled and stuffed in the back of the truck so we could head back to Maryville.  I had initially hoped to pick it up and ride it down to SC to Tim's house so we could leave from the same place for the trip. That wouldn't work as there are many farkles that need to be added for a trip like this.  I brought it back to Casa de Carver and starting farkling.  Here are a few pictures of the stocker and then some of the upgrades as we added them.592e220d78e81_20170512_1642251.thumb.jpg.58f7592e3ba3fcfd9cc2e8812415acd1.jpg

Pardon the mess, we just moved 3 homes into this one and the over flow is filling my garage.  For this reason I sent the bike home with my "shop foreman" for a few days to install the Heli Bars.  He refused to open the brake lines in this mess. 

Allow me to get a few more pics tomorrow to show the highway pegs, Heli bars and some others mods.

I spoke to a moderator today and we are going to make sure that this is in the correct area of the forum and I will begin posting daily trip updates during our time on the road here.  I know this is not a VFR but I call it my Honda-Davidson as it is the most Harley-esque bike that my favored brand makes and I think it pairs perfectly with Tim's new HD.

Our official departure is next Wednesday June 7 from Clemson, SC.

Stay tuned as I will give ride reports of the various farkles and gear as well as some of the stuff we will use for camping and documenting the trip.

• Member Contributer

Et sic incipit!!!   Wahey!!! :cheerleader:

Into the great wide open!!!

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Et sic incipit!!!   Wahey!!! :cheerleader:

Into the great wide open!!!

Now begins a new life unless I part with it upon return home I suppose.

Archived