I need some guidance from the collective...

• Member Contributer

I am beginning to acquire some items for an epic trip next summer with my just retired uncle.  He has this crazy idea to ride to Alaska and up to the Arctic Circle then back to the southeast in 6-8 weeks.

I have recently purchased a 3 person hiking tent for those occasions when we will be just done for the day wherever we may be.  Also looking at a few hiking cots for a little more comfort.  I have secured some first aid travel kits for (wait for it) hiking.  We have settled on hiking/back packing equipment for the items we will be taking as they are typically lighter and pack more tightly.

Here is the area where I know I need some direction.  My uncle has ridden to the Black Hills, Milwaukee and Sturgis several times. He knows how to ride without a doubt. He started almost 50 years ago on a Triumph and purchased a new Harley in the early 70s.  He still has his 1978 75th anniversary something or other (kind of a dresser) as well as CPO Harley that is quit capable (stainless steel brake lines, very nice quality stuff along with some usable creature comforts) but he is going to purchase a new Road King in a few months and break it in before we head out.

That being said, I am not taking any of my VFR's.  I am strongly considering taking my 110,000 mile 2003 ST1300A.  I am also considering trying to get some "marketing support" from Motus or Aprilia or Kawasaki or even Honda to write about the trip briefly each day and give an honest opinion of how the bike I am on is doing and what changes I would make (if any) for others who may to make a similar trek.

So I am looking for a bike that can cut loose a bit (primarily in the sweepers), handle the lack of pavement in Alaska and not need to stop for repairs or to replace parts that have fallen off on a 7 week journey.  I have identified the usual liter class suspects Aprilia Caponard and Tuono 1100, a Ducati Multistrada, Triumph Explorer, and Africa Twin.  I was considering the VFR1200X until this video review http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/video-commute-2016-honda-vfr1200x  confirmed what I felt I would think of the specs.

So what do you guys think?  I am right now leaning towards the Multistrada having not put a leg over the Tuono 1100 if I can't get some kind of Motus marketing adjustment for writing about the bike as I review kit and ride stuff daily.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

CC, while not on my bucket list it sounds like you're planning a great adventure.

As to which bike - well, weight, fuel range, and reliability should be major factors in your decision. Nick Sanders rode an R1 around the world but no many of us have that kind of determination.

The Tuono seems to be a really odd choice - even with a set of TKC80s. And your ADV picks are all on the large size, excepting perhaps the Africa Twin. Don't forget that you'll be riding a lot of non-paved roads once you get to Alaska. Add a little moisture and those roads become extremely treacherous, and a tip over or two isn't out of the question.

I'd suggest a V-Strom 650 w/wire-spoke wheels (not so flashy, but cheap), or a BMW F800GS (cool, but pricey). Both seem to be reliable, offer great range, and are reasonably light.

It's a long round trip Tennessee. Have you given any thought to taking the Alaska Marine Highway from Bellingham, Wash to either Skagway or Whittier, Alaska?

• Member Contributer

Lorne,

Thanks for the input.  I considered many middle weight bikes primarily for the reasons you raise.  I have half a mind (many would say stop the statement right there) to take my ST up to Seattle and buy a left over KLR650 to thrash on the Alaskan Highway then pick up my ST in Seattle.  I do not think I could make the cross country parts of the trip on a wee-strom.

If I were going to attempt that I would probably just as soon take one of the VFRs. I kind of want to use one bike for the entire trip and am comfortable enough on loose dirt/gravel to attempt it on whatever I ride cross-continent.

My uncle has studied his routes and where he wants to go for many years and he has mentioned Skagway.  I am just "bandwagonning" onto his efforts so any and all input is greatly appreciated.  

• Member Contributer

I also agree on the V-strom, it is much more capable than you think, It is capable of high speeds with lots of gear, has lots of luggage options, has a huge range, is super reliable and comfortable and doesn't handle badly at all.

I deffinetly would not take an Aprillia of any sort.

Whatever you decide, sounds like it will be a blast.

• Member Contributer

With an 8 weeks window, I'd say it does not matter WHAT you ride... 

Heck a Dutch guy rode a Guzzi V7 from Deadhorse to Ushuaia... He is now on his way to Tokyo :goofy:

The one consideration I'd make is "do I want to be -at least have a chance to be- able to fix any issues myself along the way"  or not. A simple, older carburetor bike will allow for that to some degree. any hi-tech will involve calling and waiting for the AAA..

TN to Seatle ~4,500km one way, for which a Vstrom (or F800GS) would do nicely, assuming you two donot intend to superslab at high speed.  Redslut did 860km in one day to the north of Denmark (with some torrential rain).

Yes, have a few targets to hit (I had 2 Scandic NR's, a seriously ill former colleague, the crazy Fin and the Joey Dunlop memorial, the rest was up for grabs) but the biggest gift you and your uncle can give each other is the gift of being on the road, smelling the roses and shit by the roadside.  Thing is, life happens when you are busy making plans.

By accepting that weather/whim might bring you to other places, you might end up in unexpected places....

22_zps1qlemi3c.jpg

You need to stop for fuel anyway and you have the time.

Get into shape (last time I saw you in 2012 you look OK already....), do regularly fitness/exercise. Keep up the good work

6th gens do ok on gravel...

1adb839c.jpg

Yammie?

20_zps471296b8.jpg

Would I take this one to Alaska?

a7c878de.jpg

Or a Vstrom with additional options to keep me warm at night??

dl1000_zps3a6e7f64.jpg

(Man I was a fat f@cker then.....)

don't go overboard with the luggage (like my brother tends to do,,,,,,

20130427_03_zpsd318d9c1.jpg

Like I said....

P6207533_zpsxjc59wzr.jpg

No power, but it will go on and on....

d2.jpg

Last for now, GEAR!

Get and start using nice outdoor gear (Polartec fleeces, beanie etc). I *think* you've been around the world too so know that weather and home comforts are not like home everywhere.  There is no bad weather, only bad clothing....

Cold head while cycling with a helmet on at 6AM in winter?

Not me!!!!!

IMAG5890.jpg

• Member Contributer

Just remember your uncle will be on a road King, while it will do ok on the highway, it will be slow going off highway, in dirt in Alaska.

Ride the ST to California, borrow Chris's CB and ride it to Alaska.  The CB has the same ergos and weight as the Multi without all that pesky horsepower. 

• Member Contributer

used Tiger 800's are getting cheap....... and the 650 Versys will do anything a Strom will with more comfort imho. Smaller DS will do just fine riding with a Road King and the low speed limits in Canada.

• Member Contributer

With regards to VFROZ and Lorne I will have to revisit the wee Strom.  We will find triple digit cruising in many areas as we traverse the continent so I was discounting anything smaller than a VFR800 or so because at triple digits I get about 140 miles per tank and fuel stops can become the primary consideration in more isolated areas of the west.

I could do a Guzzi Timmy and test rode EVERY american classic at Daytona bike week this past year in trying to find something that I could love on this trip knowing that my uncle will not budge from his brand.  I kind of like the Indian Roadmaster and there are a couple of Victorys that I could do this trip on and I did not mind the Road King and Road Glide that tested. None of them in Police bike spec :wink:

• Member Contributer

Excellent feedback Dutchy, thank you for sharing your vast experience with road trips on two wheels.  6-8 weeks for the ride is good and could probably be done by Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels on a moped but we are leaving from SC during the week following Memorial Day and taking a southerly route across the US to the Grand canyon and then up the coast of California to the Arctic Circle.  I know we will hit Idaho and Yellowstone but think he is planning that for the ride home.  I want to do Zion on the way out so the trip will be about 10,000 - 11,000 miles or 16-18,000 km.

I will be linked on my phone working many days while riding, stopping to say hello and buy lunch for some clients on the way and therefore hauling a small lap top for daily ride notes and emails so I can just as easily plug into a power commander and check a fuel injector issue as pull apart a carb on the side of the road.  

I do like that you brought the wrenching vs towing issue to front of mind as I decide how much is enough for roadside tools to carry.

All great recommendations on packing lightly and the newer tech type under garments allow for a sink wash and drying while bungeed to a soft tail bag on the road.

• Member Contributer

3DCylce has nailed the point that has my net cast wide for suitable bike.  The pacing item will be the Road King on the Alaskan Highway and through the Yukon.

Randy I haven't ruled out a "swap" while in Cali for the little CB500X.  And thanks to my Canadian brother for the 800 Cross Runner link.  It's good to have options.

Regarding the inexpensive used Tiger 800s I think I am going to want to start with a new bike as opposed to a new to me bike.  If I take a used bike it will be one of my current bikes as I know them and know what expendables and maintenance they will need on a 10,000 mile trip.

• Member Contributer

So I rented a Super Tenere in Australia, and expected to return it knowing that I had to have one. I didn't. It was nice, but not life-changing. I just bought a V-Strom 650 and love it every bit as much, and for the price it is outstanding!

Polarbear and I recently did a little Vancouver Island ride on our V-Stroms (I'm a terrible influence), and over coffee and cookies he said "tell me again why we need our VFRs?"

what made the police FLH so comfy for me was the foot, butt, hand triangle was perfect. Also the seat on a police bike is an ass cradling solo seat that has its own suspension.

RoadKingSeatAfter.jpg

Depending on how deep your pockets are the KTM super duke would do well here. I believe a tad better over the Aprilia IMO,  though it be close. but on the gravel off pavement I think the KTM well hold up better.   On a side note if you make it to Seattle, and the timing is good, drop me a note,  be fun to hook up. ;)

• Member Contributer

RVFR, thanks for the invite (pending schedule match).  We will definitely take you up if the timing works for you.

I found this test and while it is biased toward the off-road section they do offer candid and insightful feedback on the road portion of the bikes tested. They really like the KTM 1190R.

One consideration that hadn't been mentioned is the type of fuel available. many new bikes and especially those of a higher tune will have minimum requirements that may not be met in out-of-the-way locales. 

Also, get some space saver bags for your clothes. They're waterproof and have a one way valve so you can seal and compress the contents with a vacuum type seal.

Another great tip is to pack some items ahead of time and ship to a known waypoint. Nothing like having a bottle of bourbon and clean socks/underwear waiting for you after a long day or week!

I would love to try the new Africa Twin myself.

Harley has an upper hand with their dealer network and being able to plan for cost of tire and oil changes ahead of time at those locations.

I would love to try the new Africa Twin myself.

I was so close to buying one for my birthday but the wife would have killed me!!

Seriously considering the DCT version.

That video posted above doesn't help...

• Member Contributer
On 12/10/2016 at 7:58 PM, timmythecop said:

what made the police FLH so comfy for me was the foot, butt, hand triangle was perfect. Also the seat on a police bike is an ass cradling solo seat that has its own suspension.

RoadKingSeatAfter.jpg

I know that if WWII was held today that we wouldn't have video of all the Harleys riding through the forest and over bombed out roads of Europe because a different design would be chosen but they do have the history of being able to get it accomplished with pretty much the same bike they are selling today. 

When you think about it, it's kind of weird that most people on this site have only motorcycles manufactured by the Axis power countries.  I am sure we have a few Triumph and Harley owners here as well but the vast majority of bikes today are made by German, Japanese or Italian companies.

Archived