2016-17 Wind Chill Games

V-FORE

• Member Contributer

Let the games begin!!

I thought I would start this again this year since it was a chilly ride in.

Here is the start, before our big snow.... Very nice to go to Hot Yoga (105 degrees) after a 25 mile commute!

Old Wind Chill Index 68 MPH @ 27F = -10.69F New Wind Chill Index 68 MPH @ 27F = 4.97F

Wind Chill Calculator

Last ride of the year was two weeks ago.

Morning temperature -6 celcius and with windchill at 100 km/h is -19 celcius or, drumroll... -2.2 fahrenheit. Damn cold!

By the way, it's -18 celcius here today, plus the windchill it's in the low -30s which is -22 fahrenheit. Also, damn cold!

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, superfunkomatic said:

Last ride of the year was two weeks ago.

Morning temperature -6 celcius and with windchill at 100 km/h is -19 celcius or, drumroll... -2.2 fahrenheit. Damn cold!

By the way, it's -18 celcius here today, plus the windchill it's in the low -30s which is -22 fahrenheit. Also, damn cold!

That is Damn Cold, buts its a dry cold isn't it??

This mornings ride(car wouldn't start) 20* at 68  is -5.26f As long as I start the bike and let the grips get hot before starting I don't have any issues with the cold temps.

• Member Contributer

reet.. dunno about this Fahrenheit bit but it was -5 Celsius here in the UK, which with a wind chill convertor gave me a wind chill of -20 :blush: (you might be able to work it back to MPH LOL)  slightly chilly ride in that day.

must get some heated grips.

They need to add a humidity variable to the wind chill factor. I left for work this morning in a rush and could not find my rain gear. 

48*F, 75mph and raining, in summer gear! That will wake you up lol.

• Member Contributer

that's nothing candy, I rode from my house in vt to Ticonderoga NY in the rain and 33 degrees. 5 hours up mountains where the temp dropped below that. only reason I went I because I had a hotel booked and didn't want to waste the money and not go haha. had the room at 95 all night just to dry my gear. 

2 hours ago, 3dcycle said:

that's nothing candy, I rode from my house in vt to Ticonderoga NY in the rain and 33 degrees. 5 hours up mountains where the temp dropped below that. only reason I went I because I had a hotel booked and didn't want to waste the money and not go haha. had the room at 95 all night just to dry my gear. 

oh man, hope I never top that lol.

I have found that when one rides in the very, very cold and it is rainy, that you cannot put any heat in your brake rotors. I road last year in the rain just above freezing and the braking distance was easily doubled. It took me a moment to figure it out.

and on a side note. I just got an extra pigtail for my heated vest and I am now looking for Harley heated grips.

(since I am one of the new guys to be trained, I don't get the full Girbings gear the other guys have)

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, timmythecop said:

and on a side note. I just got an extra pigtail for my heated vest and I am now looking for Harley heated grips.

(since I am one of the new guys to be trained, I don't get the full Girbings gear the other guys have)

Harley grips? They should be the wrong (too big) diameter.

Oxford Heaterz Sports grips are the bee's knees... The link is for identification, I'd buy them elsewhere, cheaper.

Archived