Which rack is this?

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer

Hey 5th Gen folks,

Does anyone recognize the rear rack in the attached image? I'd like to learn what make/model it is. I like traveling with just a top case, and my Givi Wingracks are very clunky looking and overbuilt for non-saddlebag rides [The Wingracks are great when using the saddlebags, though]. The rack in this image has an attractive, simple design - perfect for a topcase-only trip. I'm envious of the 6th Gen guys and their externally accessible grabrail mount points - it's so much easier for them to bolt a simple rack on.

[This image was originally posted by Auspanglish - I culled it from the puzzling, infamous, and strangely magnetic thread "Unleashing 5th Gen Factory Power + DMr + Thurn MS"]

e3965e18cbdfd018429934703376bfaf.jpg

• Member Contributer

That's a GIVI topcase only rack. They also make a tubular 3 case rack that uses the FrankenBolt holes as this one does, and it has been known to break those mounting points. It's just a hollow tube welded to the top of the rear subframe and is only intended to be used as an additional mount for the tail plastics. 

It is a nice looking alternative to the full 3 case setup, but I personally don't care for it because of the potential to break that bar. If you are not riding with a passenger, perhaps the KanadianKen Solo Rack is the way to go?

And now Dutchy will be along to make various rack jokes, because he's apparently a 13 year old child...

• Member Contributer

Was about the only good thing on that thread.....See he's giving it to the other side under a new pseudonym....Haha.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Thanks Kev - I just found the Givi 257FZ you mentioned. Call me an asssthete extremist, but to me the Givi has blocky straight arms, and the one in the photo strikes me as gracefully curved in a way that works with the gen 5 lines. Could be subjective based on the woman in close proximity. Duc2V4 pointed me to KanadianKen's solo rack - very nice piece and moves weight forward. It sounds like he might even have a few left. I PMd Ken.

Forbes - I too noticed that the bozo migrated. My particular fascination with that train wreck is how many fundamental aspects of his life must be entirely absent.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, you may be right. It's tough to say for sure, and it might be an earlier version than the 257FZ. A quick image search shows a couple different GIVI and a Shad(?) that actually mounts under the tail and retains the grab handles.

Either way, the KKen Solo Rack should be good.:beer:

• Member Contributer

It's definitely not a GiVi Monorack, nor is it a Shad (I have both).  Possibly Kappa? 

Ciao,

2 hours ago, JZH said:

It's definitely not a GiVi Monorack, nor is it a Shad (I have both).  Possibly Kappa? 

Ciao,

Kappa=Givi. They are identical because they are owned by the same family. I believe the Givi owner's daughter runs Kappa, maybe? I think I read that somewhere back when I decided to go with Kappa stuff.

• Member Contributer

This is Thurn's:

05-GT0046-gesamt.jpg

So if the rack pictured in the opening post (my lips are sealed....... :goofy:)  also uses the 2 bolts on either side where the passenger grips woould be, I would say the extension to the bolt would be ok. (my lips are sealed..)

Unless you exceed the stated maximum weight by the manufacturer, then all bets are off!

Here -one- of- the racks for the 4th gen; the passenger grips here only have one bolt hole (my lips are sealed..)

86-GT0036_gesamt.jpg

But I doubt this to be a problem....

• Member Contributer

Interesting...I guess it's all about supporting the rack and what one's bolt holes are packing.

Thanks guys

You can also use clasp type

I'm sure there is a larger selection with or without lace :goofy: sorry I went off topic - can't help it

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 0:54 PM, sfdownhill said:

Hey 5th Gen folks,

Does anyone recognize the rear rack in the attached image? I'd like to learn what make/model it is. I like traveling with just a top case, and my Givi Wingracks are very clunky looking and overbuilt for non-saddlebag rides [The Wingracks are great when using the saddlebags, though]. The rack in this image has an attractive, simple design - perfect for a topcase-only trip. I'm envious of the 6th Gen guys and their externally accessible grabrail mount points - it's so much easier for them to bolt a simple rack on.

[This image was originally posted by Auspanglish - I culled it from the puzzling, infamous, and strangely magnetic thread "Unleashing 5th Gen Factory Power + DMr + Thurn MS"]

e3965e18cbdfd018429934703376bfaf.jpg

As there are 2 racks in this picture I'm struggling determining which one your referring to.....  O:)

• Member Contributer

007, there is some debate as to which rack in this photo deserves more attention...

I really like the lines of the rack holding the top case, but no one seems to be able to identify its make and model - I attribute this to distraction by the other rack.

hahaha well it definitely isn't help your cause.  Based on the posts I've read here no one seems to know.  I will say it does look really good.  Its pretty small and efficient looking.

• Member Contributer

I hate to break the mood...but those may be the old GiVi top case racks--the ones that always broke and were thus replaced with the current, re-designed Monorack?

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Hey - thanks JZH. It's better to know something is no longer available than to wonder indefinitely if the item/product can be found. There must have been some reason Givi abandoned the curvy for the straight top case rack they now offer. Good to know it's been tried. That's one of the best things about this forum - we can find out if something's been tried, or let someone else know that we've tried it [and it did or didn't work].

Archived