Seat Latch Cable (without using passenger footpegs)

JZH

Question

• Member Contributer

Looking for ideas for operating the cable for the seat latch, as I've decided not to mount the passenger footpeg brackets on my FP (3rd gen).  I could do what I've done on my 5th gen, which was to leave the cable free behind the rear cowl and fish around for it when I need it, but I'm after a less ad hoc solution.  What have you done/seen done?

Cheers,

14 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Hi John,

The Firestorm/Superchicken used a key lock on the rear mudguard, under the tail light. Dunno if it could be adapted to fit your FP, though.

The parts fiche is here: VTR1000F seat/cowl

rear_seat_cowl.gif

• Member Contributer

On that side of the bike the passenger peg holder is also used to place it on the center stand (if you are lucky enough to have found one), similar to the 5th gen.  I cut off the portion used to hold the peg, leaving the lock and horizontal in place so that I still could use it as a hand hold for the center stand.  All you see is the lock mechanism. 

VFR800 002.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks, guys--those are some good ideas!  I had considered the footpeg butchery for my 5th gen, but on the 3rd gen there is too much exposed below the rear cowl (and I don't need the grab handle--the center stand won't be re-fitted).  That said, the 4th gen bracked would probably fit onto the 3rd gen subframe.

But the best solution for my bike is probably the VTR1000F/CB750 one.  If I can find a good spot for the lock, I could probably even swap lock cylinders and use the same key!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Further research suggests that some of the CBRs (600 and 900RR) use a similar lock cylinder-through-plastic-into-a-bracket kind of setup as the VTR1000s (F and SP), so I can probably do a Fireblade-esque lock mounted on the top of the rear cowl.  Just need a lock cylinder, a bracket and a clip (and possibly a different cable), and it should look fairly OEM.  Most used lock cylinders on eBay are sold as a set with the bike's other locks, which is not really what I want to buy.  However, all of the parts new are only about £40, so maybe I'll just bite the bullet.

The later version of this uses the longer key, but my FP's key is short like this one:

keyseat-lock_big77239KAB000-01_bb18.jpg

Here's the bracket, originally from the Blackbird, judging from the part number.

stayseat-lock-ca_big77242MAT000-01_25b1.

And the clip:

springlock-key-s_big75581GN8920-02_58a4.

And a cable:

d8604ed6d662effcd8e43740f9f07454.jpg

I'll let you know how it goes...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Those are the parts I bought for my SP because the PO used the "simply pull a cable method"...

Key is a short one...

• Member Contributer

I've now gathered the various parts and I think they will work.  I ordered a bunch of cables, too, as the RC36 one doesn't have the right end on one end.  The cable from a '02 NTV650 Deauville turns out to be the same length as the OEM RC36 seat latch cable, which appears to be the correct length to allow me to mount the seat release lock in the top surface of the middle rear cowl connecting panel (a la CBR).  I need to figure out how to disassemble the new lock cylinder without destroying it, however, so that I can re-key it to my existing key...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 0:52 PM, JZH said:

I need to figure out how to disassemble the new lock cylinder without destroying it, however, so that I can re-key it to my existing key...

Ciao,

Have you thought of taking it to  local locksmith ? I'm sure a good locksmith could recode the lock to your ignition key.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Woodie said:

Have you thought of taking it to  local locksmith ? I'm sure a good locksmith could recode the lock to your ignition key.

Actually, no...  Because I'm fairly certain that if it can be done, I can do it myself!  I may be mistaken, but I guess that these are wafer tumbler locks, and most such locks have only a limited number of different wafers available (which are then arranged in different combinations).  I'm also guessing that the wafers in this lock are similar to those in other such Honda seat locks, so they might even be directly interchangeable with the ones I have in the OEM seat lock.  If that's the case, I'd just need to swap one set of wafers for another.  The trick will be figuring out how to open the lock non-destructively...

I'll post some pics when I get around to opening the lock(s) up.  Here's a pic of a typical wafer tumber lock:

Wafer-Tumbler-Lock-.jpg?resize=300,208

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, JZH said:

Actually, no...  Because I'm fairly certain that if it can be done, I can do it myself!  I may be mistaken, but I guess that these are wafer tumbler locks, and most such locks have only a limited number of different wafers available (which are then arranged in different combinations).

I guess so but .....

13 hours ago, crakerjac said:

Was only $10 or so to have a locksmith re-key my hard bags.

...... for this price I'd be tempted just so I didn't get a hundred different tiny components flying around my garage as it all goes 'Pete Tong'

:goofy:

Archived