Going to MotoGP in Austin, April 21-22

choco

I'm treating my 36-year-old son and am wondering if anybody here has attended this event in the past, if so, where or what type of seating tickets do you recommend? Tickets go on sale on Dec. 7 so if anyone else want's to get tickets that's when it opens up. Is general admission stand up only, or can you claim a seat in the general admission section.

I hope more from VFRD can come too. We're flying down from Seattle on Friday, will attend Saturday's FP 3 and 4 plus Q1 and Q2, plus all the rest of the Moto2, Moto3, etc. Looking forward to it.

Thanks for your help.

Lee

My wife and I went last year and had such a great time!  I like to say that the whole weekend was like an amusement park for motorcycle enthusiasts.  We had grandstand seats along the start-finish line with a great view into the Repsol garages. We're planning on going in 2017, but we'll probably just get general admission tickets this time.  There are enough huge monitors and seating on the grassy slopes of all the turns.  Not sure about claiming a seat, as they checked our tickets ever time we came back from a refreshment run...

• Member Contributer

Been twice and will go in 2017.

I quite like the GA tickets, but you will need a fold-up chair to sit - or you can just hit the grass, picnic-style. I've done both.

I enjoy moving from turn to turn and getting different vantage points during the races, which you can do with GA or grandstand tickets.

I may ride down this year, as the best roads Texas has to offer are within a couple of hours of there. There are usually parking deals to be had for bikes at COTA  as well, but I'm not sure any of that is worth paying bike rental fees if you are coming from out of state.

Hopefully we can keep this thread going and connect when we get closer to April. 

I got two tickets in grandstand 15, and it looks like we'll be able to see quite a few of the best turns. I also bought one paddock pass for $250, yikes. Expensive, but I just gotta go down there and see those bikes and riders up close. I'll get some Marquez stuff for me and Rossi stuff for my son.

Thanks for the replies. How about night life or interesting places in Austin, the best baby back ribs?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, choco said:

I got two tickets in grandstand 15, and it looks like we'll be able to see quite a few of the best turns. I also bought one paddock pass for $250, yikes. Expensive, but I just gotta go down there and see those bikes and riders up close. I'll get some Marquez stuff for me and Rossi stuff for my son.

Thanks for the replies. How about night life or interesting places in Austin, the best baby back ribs?

I don't know about the ribs, but that part of Texas is really the nexus for good barbecue.  Check out http://www.tmbbq.com/ for a good resource to start.

Personally, every time I am in Austin, I stop at one of the Gourdough's locations: http://gourdoughs.com/  They are NOT effing around when it comes to doughnuts.  The trailer on Lower 1st is good, but if you go to a public house location, you can get a chicken fried steak on top of a doughnut.  Worth it.

We're going to do GA tickets this year too.  If you haven't made hotel reservations yet, you might want to soon, as the hotels fill up quick.  My wife and I are driving the RV and towing the Viffer on a trailer.  We just made reservations at the KOA Campground in Bastrop, about 20 minutes away from COA.  

• Member Contributer

Just a tip to anyone attending a WSBK or GP event, thoroughly scrub your contact list and all professional associations for ANY potential networking possibility with any of the hospitality tent sponsors.  The MotoGP VIP tent is amazing and expensive but you may work for a company on the fringe of sponsorship or have a brother-in-law who purchases electrical connectors for Dewalt drills or some-such.

Leave no stone unturned in a search for access.  On Saturday the VIP tent is at approximately 20% capacity so even if you can only get in for that day through your networking it is worth it.

Sunday the VIP tent is packed and the food and booze are as non-stop as the on-track action.

I know a college kid who wanted to attend the All Star baseball game in Arlington Texas many many years ago so with great forethought he got a second job working concessions for the Texas Rangers.  Worked the entire first half of the season and on the day of the All Star game he walks through the employee gate and once inside tosses his name tag and vest aside to enjoy the game.  I don't recall if he ever received his last check but he felt it was worth it.

• Member Contributer

Start smoking Marlboro is a bad thing, but if it gets you in the door......

IMG_0784.JPG

• Member Contributer

Ordered my GA three-day pass.  Did NOT order parking passes, so hopefully that'll keep me locked in to riding down as opposed to cheating in a cage.  :tongue:

If anyone else is riding there and has extra time, I highly recommend taking a day and heading to the Three Sisters.  It's a couple hours from COTA, but I am going to try to ride them again in 2017, as it has been several years since Ronimal showed a few of us around down there.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the links, we'll be sure to check those places out. Right now I'm in Duvall, 25 miles east of Seattle, and about 1 inch of snow on the ground, my baby has been on the battery tender for a couple of months now. Can't wait for motorcycle racing again, especially since the Broncos have packed it in for the year and Seahawks look suspect on offense too.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm planning on going even if I have to go alone. I've invited my buddies from college and they're showing great interest.

They have to ask for permission from their wives if they can go. 

I'm heavily leaning for the paddock pass without the hotel. $999 for three days and full access is the way to go. I'll save a little cash by staying at Motel 6. 

• 1 month later...

Damn that is an ambitious day right there. Why are you giong through San Antonio? Just to cut the time down i guess?

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, atx said:

Damn that is an ambitious day right there. Why are you giong through San Antonio? Just to cut the time down i guess?

Yep, that's the return home. Figured a superslab to the beer after a day of riding was acceptable in this instance.

Truthfully, I'll be staying west of Austin anyway, so this probably gets tightened up a bit. But no doubt we'll be pooped on Sunday. 

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Getting close!  Weather shows rain on Saturday/clear on Sunday, but who knows.  Because Texas...

If anybody wants to say hello next weekend and talk VFRs, PM me and/or roll-call here please.

Two more sleeps then a five hour ride in the sky. I've been researching BBQ places and will check out the places linked above. Got a pit pass and grandstand seats. Hope MM can get back on the top step and no crashes and nobody gets hurt. My ankle is mostly healed so will be leaving crutches at home.

Archived