Fuel economy. 180 miles per tank is a joke

Howesnet

Hi all.

If this has been covered elsewhere, apologies. 

To business then.

Every piece of documentation i have read relating to the Gen 7 tells me that it should be able to get about 180ish miles to a tank.

I'm lucky if i get 100 (27-29 mpg). I took it out for a good long motorway run a few weeks ago (120 miles each way) and got it up to about 112 miles to the tank, averaging about 85mph in 6th

Setup wise, ive got a DAM can and a power commander and it had been Dyno'd by the previous owner. My tyre pressures are checked weekly and I also use only premium fuel but several mechanics i've spoken to all say that that kind of difference in fuel economy is unusual.

Most of my riding is around town in London so i'm not expecting miracles but still, thats almost a 50% drop compared to the advertised.

Anyone else get similar figures or have any suggestions of what it might be and how this can be improved.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Screenshot_2016-12-03-16-08-53.png

Screenshot_2016-12-03-16-08-32.png

• Member Contributer

had a vtr1000 once that I could run outa gas at 80miles with... I sold it

sounds like you might have issues though?

• Member Contributer

Typically Power Commanders are tuned for maximum HP and not maximum fuel efficiency. If you have a Power Commander 5, you can run two maps in it and toggle between the two, as long as you're not running the auto tune module. To test the theory that the PC is just running rich fuel mixtures, take it out of the equation, if your mileage improves, then you'll have your answer.

However not knowing exactly why the PC was put in, you might find out as soon as you take it for a spin. With that being said, although it might cost you a little money, you can always take it to a Dynotuner and see if they can build you a map for maximum fuel efficiency, if the removal of the PC proves to be more detrimental to engine performance. 

Hmmm! 2013 vfr1200f, akro slip on, Guhl reflash. 41 mpg highway at 80 plus mph. 39 mpg with luggage. However, no  city riding!

I average 38+mpg, but I did get stuck in a traffic jam for about an hour resulting in 34 mpg for that tank.

Aside, what kind of windscreen are you using?  I replaced my stock with a VStream that is worst than stock.  Cutting two 2" holes near the base reduced the buffeting, but it's nowhere as quiet as my '76 Goldwing w/ a Vetter fairing.

I ran bone dry at 152.2 miles once,good thing I was able to walk to the bike to the nearest gas station,but that's the ONLY thing I hate about this bike. Running 87/93 octane makes no difference to me in mpg ,93 octane runs alot smoother though

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

City riding is the giveaway. VFR1200s were not built for city riding. Get out of town on a decent run then let us know how you get on.

Hi all.

Firstly, thanks all for the input.

Sayo, i'd be happy with a 50% increase to take it up to 140-150 per tank. I'd even be happy with 125-130 around town. That would give me another days round trip commute before having to refill.

Andy - The screen is a GIVI. The add on is the Honda VFR extender. Both were on the bike when i bought it. Liked the look so kept it. Also, liking the Matt finish on your G7. Is it painted or wrapped

Skids - Good to speak again. I know city riding is the killer and there's gonna be a price to pay using a 1200 V4 as a commuter........but i REALLY wanted a VFR lol. Took it out for a run about 5 weeks ago. Filled up at the station on the Cromwell Road just at the start of the M4. Got about 112 out of it before the gauge started to flash on the last bar again.

Thanks again for all the input guys. I spoke to my mechanic a little while ago and he's pointed me in the direction of a decent Dynotuner about half hour ride away. Gonna give them a call this week.

Hugs & kisses

Simon

• Member Contributer
51 minutes ago, Howesnet said:

Hi all.

Firstly, thanks all for the input.

Sayo, i'd be happy with a 50% increase to take it up to 140-150 per tank. I'd even be happy with 125-130 around town. That would give me another days round trip commute before having to refill.

Andy - The screen is a GIVI. The add on is the Honda VFR extender. Both were on the bike when i bought it. Liked the look so kept it. Also, liking the Matt finish on your G7. Is it painted or wrapped

Skids - Good to speak again. I know city riding is the killer and there's gonna be a price to pay using a 1200 V4 as a commuter........but i REALLY wanted a VFR lol. Took it out for a run about 5 weeks ago. Filled up at the station on the Cromwell Road just at the start of the M4. Got about 112 out of it before the gauge started to flash on the last bar again.

Thanks again for all the input guys. I spoke to my mechanic a little while ago and he's pointed me in the direction of a decent Dynotuner about half hour ride away. Gonna give them a call this week.

Hugs & kisses

Simon

M8, if you're at 122 flashing after an out of town run then there is something wrong, unless you're leaving it in 3rd all the time or something.

I've commuted the 1200, 102 miles round-trip up & down the A1 and never get less than 10miles/litre/45mpg. And I don't hang around, cruise at 5k rpm and enjoy the superb acceleration.

Why do you need a PC on a 1200? Have you tried riding it without the PC? I have a DAM can and mine is as smooth as silk and fast as fcuk.

Maybe that's the issue???

27 minutes ago, Skids said:

M8, if you're at 122 flashing after an out of town run then there is something wrong, unless you're leaving it in 3rd all the time or something.

I've commuted the 1200, 102 miles round-trip up & down the A1 and never get less than 10miles/litre/45mpg. And I don't hang around, cruise at 5k rpm and enjoy the superb acceleration.

Why do you need a PC on a 1200? Have you tried riding it without the PC? I have a DAM can and mine is as smooth as silk and fast as fcuk.

Maybe that's the issue???

The PC was already installed when bought. When i researched, i got told that with after market cans they put PC's in to regulate the fuel / air mixture because of the increased air throughput. Got told its done because running too lean can lead to the engine getting damaged by over heating but been wondering if its running too rich anyway.

Will ask next week.

Cheers m8

Full luggage and 6' 4" tall, I get 130 miles going to and from work around the San Juan Islands in Washington State. I've gotten 160 in a tank just on freeways, but I didn't want to push it further. Upgrades? I removed the exhaust flapper valve cable lol. I tend to keep the bike under 6k unless I see a tempting car or bike to race and always beat heh

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

My 2013 F model has run over 180 miles but it was running on fumes when I pulled off for a fill up. That is not typical though. It was on a table flat road (US interstate) running the speed at 70 to 75 MPH. Typical mileage is 36 MPG when running hard on secondary roads and 40 to 42 MPG just putzing around 1/2 city and 1/2 secondary country roads. Go to the dynojet website and download the PC5 software on your computer. If you don't have the PS5 install instructions also download and print them for reference. Once you have the software you can connect your PC 5 into the computer and pull the existing fuel map off and see how it is mapped. Any number above 0 in the map squares is additional fuel that is added to the Honda fuel map. Save the existing map first in the dynojet PC5 software. you can reduce the numbers in the lower throttle position columns which will lean the fuel/air mixture. The map squares that have the most influence on your fuel use will be  between 2 & 20 % throttle and from 1500 to 4500 RPM's   

• Member Contributer

Can folk please avoid using mpg as the value of their bikes consumption. US gallons & UK gallons are different so comparison is meaningless unless someone converts one to the other. The OP is from the UK.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Skids said:

Can folk please avoid using mpg as the value of their bikes consumption. US gallons & UK gallons are different so comparison is meaningless unless someone converts one to the other. The OP is from the UK.

Thanks.

Not trying to be funny or snarky, but a mile is still the same length right? There's no such thing as an Imperial mile is there? It's been a while since I've been to the U.K. and I didn't drive while I was there, my cousin did all the driving so didn't pay too much attention to road signs and the lot, I just enjoyed all the lovely scenery of the Midlands.

40 minutes ago, Duc2V4 said:

Not trying to be funny or snarky, but a mile is still the same length right? There's no such thing as an Imperial mile is there? It's been a while since I've been to the U.K. and I didn't drive while I was there, my cousin did all the driving so didn't pay too much attention to road signs and the lot, I just enjoyed all the lovely scenery of the Midlands.

Hi Duc2V4,

Unfortunately the "snarky" still came through. Whilst you are quite right, a mile is a mile, Skids didn't mention "miles". He mentioned "Gallons".

As he said, A US (the one with the stars & stripes on the flag) "GALLON" and a UK (The ones who invented America) "GALLON" are different. Therefore the "MILES" per "GALLON" are going to be different.

Don't mean to Snarky and all that

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, Howesnet said:

Hi Duc2V4,

Unfortunately the "snarky" still came through. Whilst you are quite right, a mile is a mile, Skids didn't mention "miles". He mentioned "Gallons".

As he said, A US (the one with the stars & stripes on the flag) "GALLON" and a UK (The ones who invented America) "GALLON" are different. Therefore the "MILES" per "GALLON" are going to be different.

Don't mean to Snarky and all that

No worries, I was more curious than anything. We're two countries that seem to be separated by a common language. I wasn't sure if any other measurements were different. 

• Member Contributer

Thanks.

This seems to be a common cause of confusion online. If only people would use, say, 'MPG US' and 'MPG UK' when they posted. I guess that would mean acknowledging the 'world' part of world wide web.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Dustin said:

This seems to be a common cause of confusion online. If only people would use, say, 'MPG US' and 'MPG UK' when they posted. I guess that would mean acknowledging the 'world' part of world wide web.

And that would be better, but still wouldn't allow a direct comparison without another tedious conversion.

4 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

I just enjoyed all the lovely scenery of the Midlands.

Now that is funny! :goofy:

i avg 38.5 MPG US on my 2012 1200 with Guhl reflash..(best tankful 42.6 MPG US )...i can comfortably get 175 miles US on a tankful ..... that's a good days ride, or way longer than i can go between restroom stops on the highway.....i have no problem keeping gas in the bike

• Member Contributer
47 minutes ago, Howesnet said:

The Metric system was for people who cant count in Pounds, Shillings and Pence. Bring back the good old days of Yards, feet and inches

I don't mind which we use, as long as we all refer to the same thing.

So mpg is fine if you live in the US, not so good for others (I don't even know what size a gallon is Asia, or Africa), whereas a litre is the same the world over!

You cannot argue that metric isn't easier.

Errr what is a mile? Oh I seem to remember something about them back in the 60s. There were also rods and perches as well.........IIRC. And gallons, that depends where you are.

Anyway I get 5.2-5.7 litres per 100Km according to the onboard computer

Really the metric system is much better and logical.

Archived