2006 VFR800i Charging Concern

*Bike info at the bottom*

I'm wondering about a possible upcoming problem here.  I live in Arizona, and lately the late night/early morning temps have been in the mid 40's (F).  I still ride everyday as it warms up into the mid 60's (F), but lately that first start in the morning is resetting my trip meter and clock on the bike.  Strangest part, is I use a battery tender and every morning the light is green like it is fully charged.

Bike starts fine after that initial start even after an 8 hr work day when I go home in the evening.  Any ideas as to what is going on here? 

100% stock 2006 VFR (other than the windscreen)

download_20161203_002624.jpg

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, detroitrockcity said:

Strangest part, is I use a battery tender and every morning the light is green like it is fully charged.

Replace the battery. There is most likely nothing more to it.

Battery tenders are great but won't detect a weak battery condition where the fully charged voltage can still be reached but drops like a dead bird out of the sky as soon as a significant load is put on it. 

Cold morning temps just reveal this weak condition. It's only a matter of time before your battery gives up the ghost entirely. 

Meanwhile, you can try to put the lights on high beam for a little while in the morning before hitting the starter button. That should help build up some much needed heat in the battery.

A bit off topic. That apt complex wouldn't happen to be on Beardsley just a west of Cave Creek would it?

7 minutes ago, detroitrockcity said:

AJS it is in Ahwatukee

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks, it just looked familiar.

Archived