Let's talk tyres!

hellindustries

i'm running Bridgestone T30 EVO on my VFR -and my other bike too- and very happy with it, very stable and sticky, good in the rain, and more importantly to me its very predictable.

i have around 7,500km on the T30 EVO set on my VFR (including a 4,000km trip to NY) and tire is still pretty round with barely any signs of squaring off, i'm suspecting it should last more than 10,000km which i'm happy with for my type of riding and its price.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

First off, I'm not a knee dragger but I do tend to be aggressive now and then. I've been running PR2's for at least four years. I buy them because of the reasonable price (~$250 for a set). I usually get nearly 10,000 mi out of a set. I weigh ~160 lbs. fully suited in my leather Transit Suit. I try to maintain the recommended 36 / 42 pressures. My annual mileage is somewhere between 12,000 - 15,000 miles. I ride in all weather. On the few occasions when forgotten to check my tire pressure before riding and later found them five to ten pounds under the usual, I've experienced mushy response to steering inputs on the street and highway. My mileage is divided 40/60 % in-town riding and long-distance traveling. In town I do exercise the tires on freeway exits and sharp curves and get great feel. I've ridden in some big downpours with occasional deep puddles and found grip never lacking. On the road I try to keep to the two-lanes and the twisties. And I seek out mountain roads particularly.

And the last couple of years I've taken advanced rider courses at the local track and have not had traction issues. 

Bottom like: I Love These inexpensive stones.    

• Member Contributer

PP front PR2 rear 35/40 works for me. Cheap, and predictable. I get around 4K out of the set depending on if I'm just commuting or touring. Less when touring as they get a bit squared off from slab time. My commute is mostly twisties. If it wasn't I'd just drive.

• Member Contributer
On 1/4/2017 at 2:12 PM, thtanner said:

I've been a PR guy for a while. I tried T30 Evos for the first time and am happy with them so far.

Ditto.

• 2 weeks later...

I switched from Q2's to Angel GT's. Have been running these for the last couple of years and absolutely love them. I don't ride track, but enjoy spirited rides on the road. (Enough to be wearing out my spacers on my pegs). I've only had these slip twice - both times in road works - my fault.

They handle great in the wet. I'm a heavy bloke (110kgs) and had luggage on the bike as well, and I can ride as hard as I want.

I don't know if the PR4's are any better or how they compare. I'm a little bit like "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and since I'm scraping pegs I can't see myself asking anymore of my bike than it's already giving.

Just wondering if there's a reason Angel GT's are hardly mentioned. Are they old tech now. Do the PR4's beat them? Or is it due to a different style of riding?

• Member Contributer

Never tried the Angels, but the Q3s that came on a recent purchase had good stick I just didn't like the rounded profile, and the wear. Too slow handling, wore out quick, and less warning before they start to slide. Some call the Powers "greasy" I call them forgiving. Never a problem with them in the rain.

My VFR has a set of Dunlop Sportmax tyre's and I freaking hate them. My FZ1 has Michelin Pilot Road 4's and I love them, as soon as the Dunlop's need changing I'll be putting a set of the Pilot Road 4's on there. Very sticky and great for racking up the miles with minimal wear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

FWIW, I have run Pirelli Angel GT's, Pilot Road 2's, and PR 3's on my '98 VFR, and PR 4's on my (current) 2000 VFR.  On these tires I commuted 70 miles daily and took the bike out once or twice a month for more spirited rides on rural roads.  In terms of wear:

Angel GT   12,200 miles.  Good grip in dry and wet pavement.  I liked them, but went with the PR2 for longer tire life.

PR 2.  21,400 miles.  Loved these tires.  Front and rear wore pretty evenly and I replaced them as a set.

PR 3.  22,900 miles.  The PR2's were better for me.  The PR3 front tire wore on the edges more than in the middle.  The dual compound rubber was not as well matched for my style of riding as the PR2. As the tire wore into a V shaped profile, handling became compromised.  I replaced both as a set, even though the rear still had tread left.

PR4.  12,500 miles and the rear tire is nearly worn out.  The front is worn about 50%, and is showing wear on the edges.  Handling is not compromised, yet.

I retired last year, and now I'm doing lots more recreational riding and fewer freeway miles.  I'll probably replace the PR4's with something else, maybe the Bridgestone T30 EVO, or go back to Angel GT's.    Jeff  J.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, hellindustries said:

Hey Jeff. That's some good feedback. Thanks!

My pleasure.  I did put a set of Dunlop Sportmax tires on my '98 shortly before I sold it, but with under 500 miles experience, I thought it best not to include those in my feedback.  I did like them a lot, though,  the grip was phenomenal.

• Member Contributer

I couldn't possibly get anywhere near the mileage out of tires as jeffyjeff. I don't think I've ever gotten close to 10K out of any tire on any bike ever.

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, MBrane said:

I couldn't possibly get anywhere near the mileage out of tires as jeffyjeff. I don't think I've ever gotten close to 10K out of any tire on any bike ever.

I was told, while at a Honda shop in Utah, that western tarmac was more aggressive out west to better handle black ice. That time I didn't realize how fast my tires were wearing on a trip back to MN from Yosemite.

Any comment MB?

• Member Contributer

There are a lot of chip sealed roads out here especially in the mountains, and deserts. Could have to do with generally higher temps too, but 1/4 the mileage still seems excessive. I do ride aggressively, but there are plenty of people faster than me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I started out using PR3s and then went to PR4s.

Found that once they were down to about 50% wear the grip dropped off very quickly.

I've now gone to Metzeler M7RR and running 30psi front and 34psi rear COLD.

This is also with a 190/55 on the rear on the RC45 6" rim.

Grip is extremely good and lasts all the way to the wear indicators.

I'm running T30s on my bike now and have had them for almost three years. These aren't the Evo version, but I'm not that impressed with them. I find the turn in to be slow and I just don't get a feeling of confidence. They are perfectly fine and are wearing well, but they don't seem to excel at anything. 

Previously on my 6th gen I was running the ContiRoadAttack 2 and they were fantastic. I was going to get these again but the T30s were half the price, so I went for them.

Will switch back to Contis when I need new tires again. 

19 hours ago, HighSideNZ said:

I started out using PR3s and then went to PR4s.

Found that once they were down to about 50% wear the grip dropped off very quickly.

Wow - that's not entirely comforting news. How badly did the grip drop off? (Or what sort of rider are you - a track rider, or was this noticable on just 'spirited' riding on public roads?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 2/22/2017 at 9:21 AM, Switchblade said:

Per Kimball I tried the S21's and love them, better then the Q3's and $215 to the door  from JW.

Fairly sure Kimball buys stock in whatever tire he recommends.  That being said, the S21s are incredible.  I didn't feel like they lasted until the wear bars like the Q3s did, although this might have been limited by suspension wearing out on the CB.  I will know more shortly since they are on the VFR now.  The S21 saves me at least $70 over the Q3 with their rebates, which makes them a no brainer even if I switch them out early.  I just purchased 2 sets for the VFR with the rebate going on now.

I'm curious about the new Roadsmart 3s.   Per this review, the tire maintains its performance “all the way to the wear indicators.”

http://www.motorcycle.com/products/dunlop-roadsmart-iii-performance-touring-tire-review

I can't emphasize how much neutral feel and performance means with a tire.  If they grip well, wear well, and reduce tire changes, I might have a winner.

• Member Contributer
On 2/22/2017 at 9:21 AM, Switchblade said:

Per Kimball I tried the S21's and love them, better then the Q3's and $215 to the door  from JW.

https://www.denniskirk.com/

Is a little cheaper and $50 rebate from BS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have Angel GTs on now, going to try the T30s next. The rear is ok, but the front feel is terrible with about 30% left, but i've possibly been hard on it recently. my suspension is stock, fresh forks (seals, bushings, oil) except with a 929 shock. always stock pressures.

Archived