Looking at a used VFR1200 DCT

bitNine

I've been changing up the toys in the last year, and cold my CBR600RR awhile back, and bought a nice new liter quad as the dirt toy. I have a 2012 Yamaha WR450 that I'm going to sell in the spring because I really hate riding it on the street, and am looking to replace it with a VFR. I have been looking for awhile, and I finally ran across a nice used one that I want to go take a look at, and will probably purchase if it's the right one. This is what I'm looking at: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/5890144927.html

My problem is that while I know plenty about motorcycles and vehicles in general, I know literally nothing about the VFRs, other than a few friends that have owned them before and loved them. I just want some advice for when I go to look at the bike, since I'll have to make a decision on the spot. Any specific things that I should look at or check for when I go to look at this bike? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Find a better deal or talk him down, I was able to buy my vfr 1200 with 6k miles for 6k last year November (without bags) from a dealership not a private sale

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Sayo said:

Find a better deal or talk him down, I was able to buy my vfr 1200 with 6k miles for 6k last year November (without bags) from a dealership not a private sale

Wow, that's a pretty good deal. Blue books shows that the price is certainly a bit high, but not as high as retail (~$8500). It sounds to me like it's got a few accessories that you didn't get. Any idea what all those accessories he's including are worth?

Well he has the bags which are worth $1k new (I got mine $600 on ebay),he also has heated grips which I've seen on ebay for $225,air hawk seat (which I don't think you need )stock is pretty good just slippery,center kickstand $160 on ebay ,rear fender $120 on ebay,wind deflectors (which you don't need as it reduces you turning radius) and a wind screen you could buy on eBay for $80,so pretty much add 1k from 6k which is 7k ,I've notice he didn't say anything about the brakes,my brakes were shot by 12k miles. So if I were to buy that bike I would offer him $7300/7500 nothing more than that and if he doesn't want to sell it then I'll personally sell you my bike:)

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Sayo said:

Well he has the bags which are worth $1k new (I got mine $600 on ebay),he also has heated grips which I've seen on ebay for $225,air hawk seat (which I don't think you need )stock is pretty good just slippery,center kickstand $160 on ebay ,rear fender $120 on ebay,wind deflectors (which you don't need as it reduces you turning radius) and a wind screen you could buy on eBay for $80,so pretty much add 1k from 6k which is 7k ,I've notice he didn't say anything about the brakes,my brakes were shot by 12k miles. So if I were to buy that bike I would offer him $7300/7500 nothing more than that and if he doesn't want to sell it then I'll personally sell you my bike:)

Thanks for all that detail! I think you left out the rear trunk, and it looks like that alone is worth $500-650 on ebay. So maybe his price is in the right ballpark. He also says the air hawk seat isn't included. I don't think I need the side bags, but would like to keep the trunk for when my daughter is a bit older and can ride with me, so maybe I'll just sell the side bags on ebay. That alone will cover sales taxes. I was actually thinking of offering $7500, so maybe his $7950 price is in the ballpark.

I'll ask about the brakes and take a closer look at them, too. Anything else, like common mechanical issues, noises, etc. that I should check on?

Why do you want to sell yours?

Man, I swear I have seen that bike listed for sale before... maybe over at VFRWorld. If it is the bike I think it is, it was babied but the guy had too many bikes or something or other. From the pictures it looks pristine. And while I agree that you could find that bike cheaper elsewhere, this one has everything done and is turn key. Kinda nice. If you can get him out the door for 7500 and he has records of all maintenance... I'd say go for it. 

4 minutes ago, marriedman said:

Man, I swear I have seen that bike listed for sale before... maybe over at VFRWorld. If it is the bike I think it is, it was babied but the guy had too many bikes or something or other. From the pictures it looks pristine. And while I agree that you could find that bike cheaper elsewhere, this one has everything done and is turn key. Kinda nice. If you can get him out the door for 7500 and he has records of all maintenance... I'd say go for it. 

I saw his ad a couple months ago, then it disappeared, so I was sure he sold it. Then last week while I was out of the country, it appeared again. I emailed him about it and he said he had it sold but he backed out of the sale because of sentimental value, I think. But that now he has realized it's time to let go. So I think I need to jump on it.

I do have one quick question, specific to the DCT. Does it act much like your standard manual bike? In that, does it engine brake like the non-DCT version of the VFR1200?

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, bitNine said:

I do have one quick question, specific to the DCT. Does it act much like your standard manual bike? In that, does it engine brake like the non-DCT version of the VFR1200?

I test rode the DCT when it came out and there is good engine braking and it's easy to downshift to aid slowing.

There should be some DCT owners able to chip in with opinions too.

4 hours ago, Skids said:

I test rode the DCT when it came out and there is good engine braking and it's easy to downshift to aid slowing.

Good to know. I'm ok with less engine braking when it's in automatic mode, I just hope that it acts just like a standard manual bike when in manual mode. If not, I'll find a manual instead of a DCT.

4 hours ago, bitNine said:

The DCT does almost everything as well as you do with a manual probably, smoother.  Sport mode is more aggressive with downshifting on deceleration and provides great engine braking.  The only thing different is slow speed maneuvers...with no slipping the friction zone, it becomes more about throttle control.

3 minutes ago, Darrenk said:

The DCT does almost everything as well as you do with a manual probably, smoother.  Sport mode is more aggressive with downshifting on deceleration and provides great engine braking.  The only thing different is slow speed maneuvers...with no slipping the friction zone, it becomes more about throttle control.

Sweet! Thanks for the detail. Yeah, I could see how that would be different, especially when being used to feathering the clutch in a parking lot.

I'm excited about checking out the DCT. Thought it was a great idea when I first saw it. Used to have a Lancer Evo X with the DCT. Best automatic transmission ever.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, bitNine said:

Sweet! Thanks for the detail. Yeah, I could see how that would be different, especially when being used to feathering the clutch in a parking lot.

I'm excited about checking out the DCT. Thought it was a great idea when I first saw it. Used to have a Lancer Evo X with the DCT. Best automatic transmission ever.

It's NOT automatic transmission! :491:

It's a standard gearbox with 2 clutches. :beer:

14 hours ago, Skids said:

It's NOT automatic transmission! :491:

It's a standard gearbox with 2 clutches. :beer:

HA! I used to say the same thing. It's not an automatic, it's an automated manual!

• Member Contributer

It's true. An automatic gearbox is very different.

This is far more advanced! :491:

• Member Contributer

Hey, bitNINE.  I'll sell you mine!  

Just decided on it yesterday.   Full suspension / full exhaust / flashed ECU / much more!   Mileage 9700

I'm in the Florida panhandle.

Unreal price!   $7,995

Ohlins HO013 Rear Shock with Ohlins -79 Spring

Traxxion AK-20 Fork Cartridge Kit 

ECU Programming by Guhl Motors

Dam Exhaust (Belgium) / Servo Motor Removed (ECU flash removed error code)

Galfer HH Sintered Ceramic Brake Bads (FD442G1375) 

Helibars Handlebar Risers

Throttlemeister Bar Ends w/Cruise Control 

Progrip 719 Duo density bar grips. 

Rear Cowls (Candy Red) to replace stock silver

K&N Air Filter 

Honda Rear Carrier

45 Liter Top Case

Michelin Pilot Road 4 Tires

016_161201.jpg

001_161201.jpg

033_161201.jpg

045_161201.jpg

025_161201.jpg

4 hours ago, alleyoop said:

Hey, bitNINE.  I'll sell you mine!  

Just decided on it yesterday.   Full suspension / full exhaust / flashed ECU / much more!   Mileage 9700

I'm in the Florida panhandle.

Unreal price!   $7,995

It's crazy how good pics can make all the difference when selling. Those pics look awesome! Makes me want the bike even more now!

I'm headed up this weekend to look at this one. Guy is holding out for me, so hopefully it goes well!

• Member Contributer
38 minutes ago, bitNine said:

It's crazy how good pics can make all the difference when selling. Those pics look awesome! Makes me want the bike even more now!

I'm headed up this weekend to look at this one. Guy is holding out for me, so hopefully it goes well!

Good luck!

On 01/12/2016 at 10:49 AM, bitNine said:

I've been changing up the toys in the last year, and cold my CBR600RR awhile back, and bought a nice new liter quad as the dirt toy. I have a 2012 Yamaha WR450 that I'm going to sell in the spring because I really hate riding it on the street, and am looking to replace it with a VFR. I have been looking for awhile, and I finally ran across a nice used one that I want to go take a look at, and will probably purchase if it's the right one. This is what I'm looking at: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/5890144927.html

My problem is that while I know plenty about motorcycles and vehicles in general, I know literally nothing about the VFRs, other than a few friends that have owned them before and loved them. I just want some advice for when I go to look at the bike, since I'll have to make a decision on the spot. Any specific things that I should look at or check for when I go to look at this bike? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I absolutely loved the ownership of my '06 RR, but I too looked to revamp the stable and added a VFR800 which started my love affair with the VFR. My first ride I thought it was heavy and slow (after spending my entire career on supersports) but damn was it comfortable by comparison, and who knew luggage could be so useful, or that riding below 10'000rpm could actually be fun. The VFR is the ultimate "Street Sport" bike - and I took the plunge on a 1200 earlier this season as it seemed like an incredibly well engineered machine, and a natural upgrade to a machine I loved. I am very pleased with my purchase - I've owned 8 bikes in my 13 years riding and this is by far my favorite. 

In my research the only issue I came across was that sometimes the rear preload adjuster can seize if not used on a regularly basis,  combined with being exposed to the elements. Also aside from being slippery the seat material is prone to premature rips and tears, especially around the edges of the seat pan. My example was very low mileage and still had small underside seat tears despite. 

Other than that you have the chance to own a motorcycle that is a very versatile and rewarding riding experience, combined with relatively exclusivity, as the bike never really caught on in the North American market due to high price, unrealistic expectations, economic downturn etc

Thanks everyone for all the information before my purchase. I went and picked this baby up on Saturday, while it was snowing. I was able to give it a good once over and start it from cold, and listen to everything. I got it home and took it for a ride and heard a clunking noise as I was riding slowly. My heart sunk... I started taking a closer look and realized that the little fender in the back, in front of the rear tire, was touching the tire. There were a bunch of small rocks and pebbles that had gotten stuck between it and the swingarm. I took it apart and removed the rocks and put it back on and no more noise. Took it for a more aggressive ride and boy is it a lot of fun. It will take a bit to get used to not having a clutch lever, and also VTEC. I wasn't able to take any pics because I didn't have enough light by the time I was done riding. I will get some this weekend when I have more light.

Thanks again, everyone!

Seriously?? Well that's news to me. I am definitely speaking of the lack of power up to about 6k RPMs, then suddenly the thing takes off like a liter+ bike should. What is the power limit there for? Protection for the DCT?

Archived