Increasing Comfort- seat swap/handle bar risers

Aintegra83

Question

Hey guys I just bought a 15 VFR Monday.  I am previously a cruiser rider and frankly became board.  I got the VFR to do light touring with a more sporty feel.  I road it home 200 miles and did a fourth mile stint today.  It is the most fun bike I've ridden.  That said, the position has been killing my wrists.  I do not expect it to be as comfortable as a streetglide, but has anyone installed the handle bar risers or replaced the seat (Corbin etc.).  Any other modifications anyone has made to make the bike more comfortable?

Thanks,

6 answers to this question

Good Morning,

Congrats on your new VFR!. Before you modify your GT into a "cruiser" consider a couple of things. The ergos on the vfr require a whole lot of different muscles than you're accustomed to using. Try to consciously unweight your wrists. Carry your weight in your hips and butt. Counter-steer! Don't muscle the bar. Do  some abdominal  crunches. Your back will appreciate the forward lean with less vertical bounce on your lower spine and hips.  Now if  you really, really want to get the pressure of your hands and wrists, RIDE FASTER.....hahah! 

BTW, I ride a vfr1200f with stock ergos. I'm in my late sixties and I ride about 13k touring miles a year.

MarkinReno

• Member Contributer

Something to watch out for is a Corbin seat will raise your back side another 3/4" which may make you legs/knees feel better but will put more weight on your wrist. You can go Sargent seat which is about stock height but a better seat than stock IMO. I'm a "lazy" rider and tend to start out with best intentions of using core muscules but end up killing my wrist.

i have risers and a Sargent on my 6 gen and it's about prefect for me now. Even being a dumbass I can ride 600+ miles a day

• Member Contributer

I do core workouts at my local Y.  I have 1" risers, and a lower custom seat.  All of the above is good advice.  The big challenge is not locking your elbows when riding. Try to keep your forearms parallel to the ground. I'm pushing 60 and in my 8th riding season with the VFR. I prefer to do 300-350 mile days, but have done a 500+ mile day.  Hope this helps.

• Member Contributer

I'm 67 with a bad back. Living in Minnesota, I find I need to build my riding muscles in the spring. The position best for me, including all the above info, is a distinct s-curve in you back. Use your lower abs instead of your weaker lower back muscles. Use your feet and knees to grip the bike, not your hands. Knees gripping the tank can provide a powerful lever for your upper body.

Once I've re build my riding muscles, my back actually gets better with less regular pain issues. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

Raising the grips with a handlebar conversion worked for me and my 98.

I sit up more upright, so the back and wrists are more comfortable.

Plus I can reach the ground a little easier with my stubby legs.

Archived