NEED HELP - Loud Engine Knock/Tick

I am hoping to see if anyone can give me some advice in regards to the loud engine ticking/knocking sound that my '92 is making. I know some ticking is normal, but it sounds a little too loud IMO, but this is my first VFR so I'm not sure. I know that the bike is need of a header gasket replacement, so maybe that is it? I have also read that it could be the valves or starter clutch. If anyone can help me as to where I should begin to diagnose that would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the video of the bike running:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/983AMz2vlTU

It doesn't sound good. I have a cheap  plastic "stethoscope" I bought which I use by touching various parts of the motor to try to identify where the sound is greatest, and it usually works. You can probably make a simple one by getting a length of small diameter plastic tubing and insert a 2" length of steel wire (knitting needle) in one end. Put the other end to your ear (perhaps with an ear bud in the other) and try touching the motor. Sound will travel throughout the motor but you can usually home-in on the predominant area. Good luck.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like it has a gasket out of it on the exhaust pipe at the motor ,these are only a couple of dollars aftermarket and are a bit of a pain to put in .

20 minutes ago, mobikie said:

It doesn't sound good. I have a cheap  plastic "stethoscope" I bought which I use by touching various parts of the motor to try to identify where the sound is greatest, and it usually works. You can probably make a simple one by getting a length of small diameter plastic tubing and insert a 2" length of steel wire (knitting needle) in one end. Put the other end to your ear (perhaps with an ear bud in the other) and try touching the motor. Sound will travel throughout the motor but you can usually home-in on the predominant area. Good luck.

Thanks thats very MacGyver of you...I will try that after I install the gaskets and is still an issue.

13 minutes ago, gmtech94 said:

Sounds like it has a gasket out of it on the exhaust pipe at the motor ,these are only a couple of dollars aftermarket and are a bit of a pain to put in .

Thanks, any idea as to where I can purchase them? I believe I have TBR left low-side exit headers. Wasn't sure if some places and brands are better than others.

• Member Contributer

Any shop should have them aftermarket works well . they are just a copper ring which squeezes down to seal the pipe and you will need 4 of the ,probably about $5 . watch when you are removing the nuts as the studs may be a little brittle but they usually come off with a little effort ,you may want to spray them a couple of days before with some good rust penetrating fluid .

On 11/30/2016 at 8:54 PM, gmtech94 said:

Any shop should have them aftermarket works well . they are just a copper ring which squeezes down to seal the pipe and you will need 4 of the ,probably about $5 . watch when you are removing the nuts as the studs may be a little brittle but they usually come off with a little effort ,you may want to spray them a couple of days before with some good rust penetrating fluid .

Awesome, thanks!

• 2 months later...

To me I think it sounds like the cam chain is loose and is smacking against something, as you rev it moves faster so tightens the slack and no sound, but at idle it's moving slower with more slack. Just my 0.02.

Archived