my 07RWB project/build

3dcycle

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I will forgive you this time. that plate mount is on its way, 2-3 days. let me know final price when you look at it.

• Member Contributer

I was thinking about the 98/99 header but I don't want to throw money at headers that will be replace when tyga gets around to making some. from what I have read last couple days is that it is still going to be done, just not right off. I can live with stock until the good stuff rolls out, maybe next winter I will do tyga and rapid bike. that will give me this summer to get a base line dyno pull done. oh hell I need to find a local guy that has a dyno.

• Member Contributer
On 2016-11-27 at 2:35 PM, 3dcycle said:

image.jpeg

having a hard time stripping a brand new wheel

Did I miss the part where you explained how you're gonna mount this 5-bolt wheel to the 4-bolt VFR hub? :unsure:

Are you swapping hubs?

I read this thread 3 times wondering if it was explained and I just missed it.

• Member Contributer

haha nope did not miss it here.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/80049-rear-wheel/&page=4

I started buying parts about 2 years ago, got it mounted on my 02, then I bought the 07 and this bike deserves it more.

• Member Contributer

IMG_2093[1].JPG

never mind I got it. so??? too far maybe? wish I had a set of tyga/erion/two brother headers right now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Ok little bit of a update. Been sick last week or 2 kinda blending together right now so no real progress been made.

lucky for me this morning I woke up feeling good so tonight I made it to the shop, got some sandblasting done.

here is a couple parts that came in last week.

ok we all know what the 3rd part is. The first 2 are also from sebspeed. It is a real nice plate mount that I had him make for me, going off a piece I had made out of plastic. It came out damn near perfect. It will be getting powder coated to match everything else and shouldn't even be noticed when done. (except the big green plate that will be mounted to it)image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Member Contributer

got some more updates for everyone, after being sickly for a week or so I got back into powder coating, and not to toot my own horn or pat my own back, damn these parts came out NICE.

IMG_2140[1].JPGIMG_2142[1].JPGIMG_2138[1].JPGIMG_2137[1].JPGIMG_2139[1].JPG

• Member Contributer

thanks man.

I am just glad I am feeling better now and can get back to being productive again.

the plate mount that seb made for me all powdered and ready to go

IMG_2144.JPG

it mounts using to oem piece seen here, also allows me to use my givi/Kappa saddle bag mount

IMG_2146.JPG

the light lights up perfect, these are not the final hardware I will be using, just used it to make sure it all works

IMG_2147.JPG

well not much to say here, just a bunch of black parts

IMG_2149.JPG

and last but not least is my sub frame, same treatment, and in the back ground you can see the saddle bag mounts, same treatment as well.

IMG_2150.JPG

now I am just waiting on my shock to get back from Jamie with a extended hose on it to mount it up a little nicer, then I can mount all this goodness.

then turn the bike around and do the same to the front.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, 3dcycle said:

got some more updates for everyone, after being sickly for a week or so I got back into powder coating, and not to toot my own horn or pat my own back, damn these parts came out NICE.

IMG_2139[1].JPG

You should be tooting your own horn and patting yourself on the back - this is inspired work!   The 10 spoke in white should look fantastic on it - I'm stoked to see it on the completed bike.    You'll definitely have a one of a kind RWB for sure! 

Looking good! I like the matt black finish you've gone for - it looks really smart.

Top tip: refit the undertray before pillion peg brackets - I scratched one of mine (also powdercoated) because I fitted them in the opposite order.

One point you may want to note, is that the bracket that attaches to the licence plate bracket to the bike should be removed as part of the pannier installation, and replaced with a much sturdier version. There is a guide on here in the luggage section that has further details.

Are you replacing the bolts with stainless ones? I found that the tarnished and slightly rusty mild steel bolts detracted from the overall look of the bike; our weather is a bit crummier than yours though,s yours may be in better condition...

• Member Contributer

90% of the bolts are in good condition. A couple around the chain guard are pretty rough. Bike on had 3400 miles when I bought it last year so pretty clean. Just the bolts that were not easy to get to got crapped on.

this is the 3rd 6 gen I have torn down like this so I get the pan vs peg mount issue but thanks for the heads up. Cannot wait to get my shock back. Then I can mount sub frame back on. :)

• Member Contributer

3D that is going to be an awesome 07 RWB, I am also in the black it out camp. Can't wait to see it all together,

18 hours ago, 3dcycle said:

90% of the bolts are in good condition. A couple around the chain guard are pretty rough. Bike on had 3400 miles when I bought it last year so pretty clean. Just the bolts that were not easy to get to got crapped on.

this is the 3rd 6 gen I have torn down like this so I get the pan vs peg mount issue but thanks for the heads up. Cannot wait to get my shock back. Then I can mount sub frame back on. :)

Only 3.4k?! That's brand new! 

My viffer has 70k on it, so no wonder the majority of the bolts are looking worse for wear, but yeah, the ones near the chain guard were particularly bad as well. That said, the long one through the frame and engine was by far the worst, and was seized in the engine. I'd definitely recommend taking it out and giving it a good lube, thus preventing galvanic corrosion. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Loftust said:

That said, the long one through the frame and engine was by far the worst, and was seized in the engine. I'd definitely recommend taking it out and giving it a good lube, thus preventing galvanic corrosion. 

That appears to be a common thread for VFRs. The long engine mounting bolt at the back was seized pretty solid on my 5th Gen when I took her apart. It was only a BIG lump hammer and some very large hits got it out.

I wish I had some of the skills on show on this forum.

• Member Contributer

well just set the wheel on tonight its not tight yet I am waiting on my shock from Jamie D tracking number says tomorrow so yippie...

so I am in need of some new lug nuts, 5 blue ones and it will match my clutch, anyone got some or got a ebay link to the right ones to get?

also I am about to push the button on lowering foot pegs for myself. the knight design ones look really nice but for $200 shipped is there anything else out there? maybe I don't need the ones with the rubber on them? anybody got any ideas?

IMG_2156[1].JPGIMG_2155[1].JPG

Archived