Vfr800 fi cutting out when I turn handbars

brenzi34

Hi, I have a 2001 vfr 800 fi and it's started to cut out on me, when I try to start it if the handbars are in the wrong position when I turn the key I get no lights ( fi, oil, neutral etc) then I turn the the handbags around and the system switches on and I can turn on the motor  but as I try to move off the whole system ( motor, lights, display) cuts out goes dark for a second or two the comes back and I can start the motor again will do this for three or four times the allow me to pull away some of the time if I am going down a ramp or around a bend the bike cut out totally and I have to restart. Other times the fi light and hiss light will come on and the engine will lose power but the headlight, display and engine will keep running. The side stand, kill switch seems to be working ok, any body got any ideas as to what the problem is and how to sort it out, up to now the only trouble was with the rectifier and thats be replaced, Brendan 

• Member Contributer

Intermittent electrical issues can be frustrating to sort.  It may be obvious such as a loose connector or place where a wire has rubbed through.   I don't have one of these but have heard good things about them.  The price of one would likely be less than shop time to have it fixed. 

Power Probe Open Circuit Detector

• Member Contributer

Check right under the ignition switch. There was another member who had a similar issue and it turned out to be frayed wires coming out of the ignition switch. 

Archived