Flushed and pissed!!?

Dirtyvfr8

I own a 98 vfr8f1 I bought the bike running fine but wanted to clean and freshen her up so wanting to flush the antifreeze and in doing so now the radiator does not fill up but drains into the resivour tank proceeds to fill it then pisses out the over flow hose....bike doesn't seem to run hot fan kicks on as suppose to. What's wrong....someone please help

• Member Contributer

Do a search here on how to remove any trapped air in the system. (burping) It should also be explained in the shop manual that you can find in the downloads section.

• Member Contributer

Does the coolant automatically flow into the reservoir when trying to fill the radiator or only after you run the bike? If it's the latter, replace radiator cap as a first step. It's cheap enough to try without having a lot of work to do it.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Dirtyvfr8 said:

I own a 98 vfr8f1 I bought the bike running fine but wanted to clean and freshen her up so wanting to flush the antifreeze and in doing so now the radiator does not fill up but drains into the resivour tank proceeds to fill it then pisses out the over flow hose....bike doesn't seem to run hot fan kicks on as suppose to. What's wrong....someone please help

If everything was working fine before your work, then I'd say you just did not fully tighten the radiator cap. It should turn all the way to a solid stop.

• Member Contributer

+1 on the radiator cap. It may have sealed before the work was done, but removing and refitting may have damaged the seal. That would stop it pressurising as it should when hot, and if the pressure is not there the coolant boils at a lower temp, and the steam pushes coolant out of the reservoir.

You might also look at the pipe to the expansion tank and see if that has a small leak somewhere.

A dumb question perhaps (and I'm not sure whether this is possible) but have you swapped the hoses over at the reservoir by mistake? The radiator should be connected to the pipe that drops down into the bottom of the reservoir. 

Also (and I promise this is my last dumb question) how full is the reservoir when you have topped up the cold radiator. It should be between the low and high marks, to allow room for expansion when the system heats up.

You can never fill the radiator to the very top of the rim anyway; the open line to the reservoir will allow gravity to do it's thing. If the system is in good nick (especially the radiator cap) it can purge out a bit of air when things heat up, and will just suck back coolant to refill from the reservoir when it cools down again, so I never get too anal about getting the last teaspoon of liquid in there. Follow Mr Honda's instructions, start the engine with the cap off on the sidestand and blip the throttle a few times, that will push air out, then top up and fit the cap tightly.

Archived