Hello from Adelaide

Havelock

Hi all,

I've been a skulking around here for two years now, but as of Sunday I am now the proud owner of a '98 VFR800Fi in red.

I originally became interested in the VFRs after riding a friends 6th gen and enjoying the relative comfort and easy riding characteristics compared with my '12 ZX6R. At 6'2" I was getting sick of folding myself onto a supersport bike for commuting, and couldn't bring myself to tour on it as rides longer than 2 hours would do a number on my back and knees. Once I realised I wanted something more comfortable for the road, I almost immediately sold the ZX6R while the value was still good. This was over a year ago now, and while I'd do it over again the same, I have sorely missed being on two wheels. I had initially planned on picking up another bike fairly soon after selling, but life (2 kids) and a new job working remotely from home pushed the bike down the financial priority list of the Minister for War and Finance.

Still, the VFR bug had settled in for the long haul, and I found myself lurking around here and wishing for a V4 to call my own. About a week ago, while trawling through bikesales.com wishing for a bike I saw an ad for a '98 VFR800Fi that had done 87000 odd kilometres, and was listed for $4000 Aussie pesos. This immediately piqued my interest as it was the sort of money I might be able to wrangle from the ironclad jaws of the aforementioned Minister for War and Finance (hereafter known as the MWF), and through my lurking I had grown rather fond of the 5th gen Viffer. The previous owner had owned it for roughly 12 months, and in preparation for selling it had it fairly extensively serviced. The main points from the service report were all fluids flushed and replaced and new break pads. In addition to this, he had replaced the front fork seals when he purchased the bike.

I organised to have a look and a ride, and was immediately impressed with how good the bike looked for it's age. If it's been crashed (apparently not), then they have done an excellent job fixing it, as there is very little in terms of marking to the frame, engine covers and fairings. The bike has clearly been garaged, as there is little to no fading of the paint or plastics. Upon starting it, I was immediately in love with the noise, from the V4 growl to the whir of the cam gears. Speaking of noise, the bike is fitted with a Remus slip-on. It also came with the stock muffler, but I can't imagine that'll do much other than sit in the garage.

I rode it around the block, and immediately purchased it upon returning. Well, after talking him down to $3500 that is. I also scored a lambskin cover for the seat and more importantly, the rear solo cowl. It was fitted with a Ventura bag rack, but that came off and the solo cowl was applied as soon as I got it home. It is also fitted with some brand of touring screen (the name escapes me at the moment, and I can't be bothered leaving the warm study to go check in the cold garage) which doesn't seem to do much for wind deflection, so I'll be replacing it.

Having ridden it for the past 3 days, I have immediately lost control and started ordering bits and pieces to begin the inevitable process of tweaking to my liking. The current list of bits on order is as follows:

- Honda Marine Volt Meter - 37453-ZW5-000ZA (being well aware from my skulking that the electrics will keep me busy, seemed a good place to start. Not sure where I'm going to mount it yet, and I still need a relay, wires and the like).

- Zero Gravity Double Bubble in Light Smoke (being in Aus this is going to take 6 - 8 weeks as the local distributor didn't have stock).

- Honda Tank Pad - 08P61-MCS-800.

- 2 small clips that hold the battery cover closed - 91549-MW0-790ZA (the originals were conspicuously absent).

Needless to say, my wife is not pleased.

The list of things to do in the near future:

- New tires (the current ones are nearly at the wear bars, and I'm fairly certain the rear has a slow leak).

- As I'll have the tires off, I'm seriously considering having the wheels stripped and powdercoated. Out of the entire bike they are showing the wear of their years the most, with numerous nicks from gravel and the like.

- Tank grips. Not sure which brand yet. There are some nameless generic things on the bike currently, but their positioning is awful and they are too small to be of much use.

- Helibars. This is probably more long term, because in Aussie pesos they are roughly $500 from the local distributor, which is going to be hard to sell to the MWF.

Long term, the main points I've noted so far:

- Suspension. After coming from a sports bike, this is by far the most notable difference that I'd like to rectify. I'm not expecting to turn the bike into a supersport machine, but I'd at least like it to be better than stock, which is not providing me much confidence at this early stage.

- New seat. Gonna be expensive it seems, but I am not liking the lack of grip with the stock seat, and it is leaving my ass numb as quickly if not quicker than the ZX6R's laughable attempt at somewhere comfortable to sit.

Well, it seems my typing is like my talking, I go on and on and on an....

I'll sign of for now by saying that I am really looking forward to getting to know my new baby better, both by riding and fiddling. The community here seems really strong, and I'm looking forward also to becoming more involved now that I have something to talk about. I'm always open to suggestions, so don't be afraid to give them!

Cheers

(ps, sorry the pics are boring, snapped a couple while parked in the city and haven't gotten around to taking any more just yet.)

IMG_20161114_090515.jpg

IMG_20161114_090522.jpg

• Member Contributer

Welcome from a fellow new owner/member.

A 5th Gen first piqued my interest in the VFR (the note from the staintune slip-on and gear whine honestly), but I fell for the 6th when I saw one way back.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

She's lovely!  Remember that the Supreme Dictator has ultimate authority over the Minister of War and Finance...just don't say it out loud.

Archived