G'day from Perth

Karbunkle

• Member Contributer

Hi everybody,

New member and new VFR800 owner here.

Just picked up a 2005 model this evening, no mods and clean except for a small hand full of scratches on the right hand side.

Now two owners ago it was dropped off the stand supposedly, the owner I bought it off was such a good bloke I feel a little bad about the price I got it for.

Near enough to 95,000klms on the clock, seems like it runs as new. Still some meat on the tires but they are left overs from a race/coaching (read super sticky) meet the previous own does on a regular basis as a coach/trainer. Generator, voltage regulator and chain changed about 12 months ago. Previous owner was also a qualified mechanic and it seems the bike has been really looked after and loved by the previous owner I purchased it from.

I haven't really ridden much in the last 12-14 years and haven't owned any bike over a 250 before now embarrassingly.

Since I saw this models release when I first started riding back in 2001/2002ish I have pined for one on and off since.

Riding home confirmed this was a good purchase for me.

Quality forums/site are worth so much value so that's why I'm here, everything looks good and the people seem good from what I've looked at. and seen.

Not too mention so helpful when sounding idea for personalisation's and maintenance.

I hope I can be of some use and can contribute too.

Sorry photo quality is not up to scratch, just a couple of quick shoots when I got her home.

Cheers.

20161114_204412.jpg

20161114_204452.jpg

Hello from Madison, Wisconsin, USA! I'm relatively new to the forum; the '00 VFR I'm buying awaits me 300+ miles away. I plan to bring the 'yellow bird' home this Saturday; it'll be interesting to compare notes!

Welcome from Melbourne, if you are on this forum I assume the stock form won't last long hahaha. I've got the exact same bike but an '02 with black wheels, I'm doing the front end swap to a 954 and a single nut rear wheel conversion so I'll end up with Ducati 1098 wheels and I'm just sent my clutch cover for Seb to mod into the clear window clutch cover. I'm just waiting on some parts for the front end swap and single rear wheel conversion but so far I put on a full Delkevic exhaust that sounds so incredible, pair valve, flapper mods and snokle removal as well as an AIS block of and a PCV and a buddy dyno'd it for me which has made the bike drive even more smooth than before.

But keep an eye out for my thread detailing my mods when I get round to it in January when I have time off to do all the work changing parts, might give you some ideas on how you want to trick out your new baby.

Not sure what the difference is between teh 5th and 6th gen swingarms are, but on the the streetfighters facebook buy/swap sell page there was a guy selling a 1098 arm  complete for $300.

Why does this matter? If the 6th gen arm is the same as the 5th gen

$300 for a complete arm is a cheap way to get the axle/eccentric/brake rotor/etc to be able to fit a 1098 rear wheel.

my 5th gen fighter has a 1098S rear wheel and 848 front wheel.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the forum.  Nice looking bike.  If you think you like it now, ride it a while - it will grow on you and you'll like it even more!  Post more pics when you're out on rides so we can see a bit more of your part of the world.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Karbunkle, welcome, as Blazerdman said, if you're here you're going to mod, seems to be on your mind already.....friendly, manored riders here with years of experience.
Enjoy.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, keef said:

Not sure what the difference is between teh 5th and 6th gen swingarms are, but on the the streetfighters facebook buy/swap sell page there was a guy selling a 1098 arm  complete for $300.

$300 for a complete arm is a cheap way to get the axle/eccentric/brake rotor/etc to be able to fit a 1098 rear wheel.

I'm still researching the single nut thing, the wheels came today and look incredible the PO owner had them coated in Modesta BC-06 which is a glass coating that prevents dust and muck sticking to the wheel.

I have a VFR400 rear axle that I can modify to fit the 1098 rear wheel rather easily it turns out. I'm gonna have to make a custom rear brake disk and the nut that mounts to the wheel, the Ducati has a bit of a slope that I'll have to have shaped down to be a flat surface so the VFR400 nut will mate perfectly with the wheel, also custom spacers as well, not sure on size as need to have these first two mods done so I can install it and measure what I need for the spacers. Front wheel is straight forward it turns out, some guy on the custom streetfighters website put a 1098 front wheel onto a cbr954 with the 1098 front axle and custom spacer.

I still have to also buy an rc51 lower triple, a cbr954 top triple and front brakes and new steering stem and wheel bearings. Other than those few things I'm ready to go I might make a start on the thread this weekend and I'm planning to upload some videos of the work to youtube as well to catalogue the work I'm doing. 

All in all exciting times, the next mods after this would be an overbore and supercharger! LOL

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

- MsRN98 I hope all goes well with the pickup, be glad to compare notes.

- Blazerdman I love a tinker and half decent with spinning the tools when I can. Unfortunately limited funds for the short/medium term for toys will leave me to more creative and inventive things without spending a fortune.

I have to say some pretty awesome mods Blazerdman, I'm curious if anyone has gone to the trouble of test fitting the 1200 engine in the smaller frame? (not curious for my self, just generally)

- Cogswell, actually loving the combined braking and the VTEC even if it can be construed as a bit gimmicky with it switch like characteristics on this model. Surprised at the headlight output on the road compared to other bikes I've owned/ridden as well. Be glad to share some pictures from down under too. Cheers.

- Thanks for the welcome Dutchy glad to be here.

- Cheers Forbes, as mentioned above just going to start slowly. The minister for war and finance has to be consulted for anything too radical. I've got a few ideas so far.

Cheers.

What's the point of putting Ducati wheels on the VFR?

• Member Contributer

Hazard a guess here but I'd say...

Ach,

let a picture speak a thousand words...

:-)

Ducati-1098-Custom-Streetfighter-by-Nick

7 hours ago, Blazerdman said:

I'm still researching the single nut thing, the wheels came today and look incredible the PO owner had them coated in Modesta BC-06 which is a glass coating that prevents dust and muck sticking to the wheel.

I have a VFR400 rear axle that I can modify to fit the 1098 rear wheel rather easily it turns out. I'm gonna have to make a custom rear brake disk and the nut that mounts to the wheel, the Ducati has a bit of a slope that I'll have to have shaped down to be a flat surface so the VFR400 nut will mate perfectly with the wheel, also custom spacers as well, not sure on size as need to have these first two mods done so I can install it and measure what I need for the spacers. Front wheel is straight forward it turns out, some guy on the custom streetfighters website put a 1098 front wheel onto a cbr954 with the 1098 front axle and custom spacer.

I still have to also buy an rc51 lower triple, a cbr954 top triple and front brakes and new steering stem and wheel bearings. Other than those few things I'm ready to go I might make a start on the thread this weekend and I'm planning to upload some videos of the work to youtube as well to catalogue the work I'm doing. 

All in all exciting times, the next mods after this would be an overbore and supercharger! LOL

White bike, fluoro yellow wheels? He did that based off my bike. Extreme creations here in Sydney made a shim and a spacer for me. 

My 5th gen is 04/05 gsxr 600 yokes/forks/brake calipers with an 848 front wheel and gsxr 1000 320mm rotors. 

4 hours ago, MsRN98 said:

What's the point of putting Ducati wheels on the VFR?

The 1098s forged rear wheel weighs next to nothing. Even the cast 848 front wheel I have (same spoke pattern as the back) is much, much lighter than the OEM vfr wheel. 

I couldnt find a matching forged front wheel at a wreckers- I'm guessing most damage happens to the front wheel. I may have gotten lucky, but I bought the pair of wheels for $600. Pretty good for light weight wheels. 

2 hours ago, keef said:

IMG_1652.JPG

Yep that's the one, I'm copying what he did for the front endy but the rear I'm being a little more "creative" in how the wheel will mount, suffice to say once I'm done the wheel will not work with a 1098 anymore.

just don't overcomplicate it. Just a  shim and spacer means it works perfectly, and is centred. It also means you can still use off the shelf brake discs. Extreme made me a custom 45T rear sprocket to go with the driven quick change sprocket carrier. I couldn't find a 45T duke sprocket.

Spacer & shim.jpg

Archived