Changing front sprocket without draining clutch?

VIFFR

The 5th gen bible, when removing the front sprocket tells you you have to drain the clutch fluid and remove the slave cylinder to gain access.

I was thinking, provided you don't crack the seal on the gasket, can you do this without having to drain the clutch fluids?

• Member Contributer

I used one of these. The plastic swiveling heads line up perfectly with no scratches or scuffs to worry about. Easily held the piston in and did not lose a drop.

clamp.jpg

• Member Contributer

Crimping the hose will not keep the slave cylinder in as its being forced out by a spring. As others have said a G or spring clamp as per above pic are the simplest & quickest solution.  Remember to clean out any accumulated crud from around the slave cylinder & whilst its off, pull the clutch actuation rod out, then clean & lube it to ensure a nice smooth clutch action.

31 minutes ago, Blazerdman said:

Are you supposed to do this with the 6th gen as well? Coz I did not do that when I dropped a tooth in the front.

NOPE

dont remove the slave from the sprocket guard (unnecessary), and definitely do not drain the clutch to replace a sprocket

• 2 months later...

Archived