Thanks for the help and support, you guys rock!

lanesmatb

Wanted to say thank you to all the members and mods on VFR Discussions for all the knowledge, help, and guidance.  I have my 5th gen up for sale due to the fact that I recently picked up a 2006 ST3 Ducati.  After weighing all the pros and cons on switching bikes, the Ducati is a much better fit for what I'm looking for in a sports touring mount.

The resource this forum gives to VFR owners is second to none.  Again, thanks and please be safe out there!

Scott Lane

Maryville, TN

IMG_2551.JPG

IMG_2484.JPG

As Ducati ST4 rider, I bought a VFR800 to ensure I don't miss out on club rides and ended up enjoying both for different reasons.  Both machines are very close in size, power and dimensions. The Ducati suspension  is dialed in pretty good stock and tuneable where as the Honda is a big project to get comparable that I haven't done  other than the basics. As a comparison, the road and corners you just pushed hard on and thought you flew though on the Honda when you go back on the Ducati at a similar pace its little effort. The Ducati handling really does compliment the riders skills.

Engines are both awesome in different ways when attached to nice pipes.  

For a daily ride the Honda is reliable ( when you Fix the %$#$ electrics), needs normal servicing and goes anywhere. 

The Ducati is reliable if looked after properly and requires an extensive maintenance schedule. You are either rich to afford the servicing cost or very patient and do it yourself. ( why I have to 2 bikes :))

The ST Ducati is setup as a Sports Tourer with panniers as stock.  Gen 5 VFR failed here and the aftermarket stuff  is just another cost.  Your ST3 seat is a lounge chair compared to the Honda comparative vinyl covered concrete slab but a seat pad can sort that.

When your get stuck in traffic you will miss your VFR. When your trying to maintain legal freeway speeds you will miss your VFR. While you look for and find a trusted Ducati mechanic and get parts at a reasonable cost for servicing and your off the road you will miss your VFR.

The Ducati is worth every bit of the attention I give as its just awesome but some days i just wanna ride so the Ducati for me is the long distance machine and the VFR fun on tap other days.

Enjoy the ST3

cheers

My 8th gen is definitely more capable as a long distance sport-tourer than the ST3 was when I rode it.  The ergos with the 1.25" bar risers is more back and wrist friendly to me, and this is the first bike I didn't need to replace the stock seat with an aftermarket one.  Honda made quite a few improvements with the 8th gen, but I can't speak to gen 5 and previous VFRs as I never rode them, but the new Interceptor is pretty much a do it all bike for me.

I'll preface my response to how the bikes relate to me.  I'm 5' 5.5" (I'd prefer 5'6"), about 165.  I ride 90% back roads and mountains and primarily a 3 season rider.  Rarely commute to work (2-hour round trip on slab, no thanks).  Riding since 1978.  My pace is brisk, but my knees stay in :)

There are plenty of things I loved about my 5th Gen;  V4, sound, comfort, unique looks, SSA, Honda fit/finish.  What I was not enamored with was:

Dated min spec suspension (small conventional forks and ok brakes, dated components)

Lack of hard side cases for touring.  Had a top case but I always hated the look of a top case.

Seat height, combined by seat width, made two-up riding a careful proposition at my height

Weight - I felt it's heft everywhere, especially not being a normal size gentile.  Don't know if it CG was high or what, but I never was comfortable pushing the bike in the corners either.

Power - Plenty of it once you drop down two gears; somewhat lethargic if two up.

Where the VFR had weaknesses, the ST3 addressed:

43mm Showa USD forks with proper spring rate, 320mm Bremos (better braking).  Suspension components are robust and light

Hard matching panniers

Seat height, though roughly the same as the VFR, the saddle and bike is much narrower;  I can easily manage the bike, even two up.

Weight - boy it takes the CIA to get a "real" weight on bikes these days, but SportsRider did a comparison test with the ST3 and a 6th Gen VFR and the tested weight was almost 60 lbs lighter than the VFR (both with bags).  I can testify that I could easily tell it was lighter - both maneuvering it and riding it.  (as a sidenote, the 1st generation ST2 and ST4 were 30 lbs heavier than the 2nd gen).  As far as handling, it rails with me on it.  I pushed past where I would take the VFR and felt more comfortable in doing it.  In about 1 ride.

Power - 1000cc twin vs 800cc V4.  The Duc has a little more peak hp, but tons more torque.  It's a roll-on monster compared to the VFR.  It also sounds glorious.

Parts - Used and new parts for the ST3 are more readily available;  The VFR can be problematic at times.

ST3 weaknesses (for me):

Most ST owners love the stock 2nd gen seat - I hate it after 1 hour (too soft).  I have a Corbin butt, so a Corbin is on it's way.

Tried it first with the stock handlebar risers - way too much weight on my wrists with my short arms.  The Helibars made a huge difference and is a must have in my book.

If you are a large human, the leg room may be an issue.  It feels tighter on the ST3 than the VFR.

Issues where the jury is still out:

Is this thing going to strand me?

I like working on bikes, so hopefully the maintenance won't make me swear and scare the kids

The back end of the bike is, well, plain.  No SSA, no sexy wheel to show off

Is this thing going to strand me?

As a former VFR owner, I would not make the switch to the Duc if:

I had a shop maintain it, or

Hard core commuting

Anyway, that's my opinion on the hot new red-head I have in the garage.

Scott L.

I thought a little more about why I like the handling much more on the Duc than the the VFR and I think GleninAus nails it.  The stock suspension on the Duc is much better sorted than a stock VFR for aggressive riding.  A VFR with upgraded suspension would probably make up the handling discrepancy I experience.

7 minutes ago, lanesmatb said:

I thought a little more about why I like the handling much more on the Duc than the the VFR and I think GleninAus nails it.  The stock suspension on the Duc is much better sorted than a stock VFR for aggressive riding.  A VFR with upgraded suspension would probably make up the handling discrepancy I experience.

Go test ride a 8th gen if you can and see what you think - the adjustability on the Deluxe models are very nice.

I just thought I'd add a similarity with the early Gen 5 VFR800 and the Ducati St2/4 ( not sure about ST3 but Ducati tends to work from a parts bin)

They use the exact same Regulator/Rectifier!!!

The difference is that Ducati knows what an earth lead is and failure is comparatively rare. You still need to be diligent but....

Wow, who'd guess the Italians in this case do better electrics than Honda.

Archived