Endurance Racing VF500 build.

sportstu

• Member Contributer

Great to find someone else still working on this bike even if on the other side of the planet. Magics of the www.

I'm also working on my vf400f, and am very happy you confirm that nc30 gears can be fitted into the vf. Could you please clear out what did you modify to make the clutch properly fit? I get the yoshimura stage two cams (very hot) I'm going to fit nextly, I'm also planning for the 418cc piston kit and a modified nc30 exhaust to be fitted in conjunction with the nc30 carbs or (better) fcr32mm. I will aslo fit the nc30 rear end with nc35 wheel and nc35 front end sitting in my bedroom fully rebuilded. I'm close to the fifties but still hart beating for this bike. Please keep us informed.

cheers

Pietro

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Amazing work Sportstu, this build and 'Dutchy's' clean f2 convinced me to get this '85 500f2...... Came as a package, 750 & 500 for $500.00.35543153e23ba1a68cb62c0f524556c5.jpg

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Forbes said:

Amazing work Sportstu, this build and 'Dutchy's' clean f2 convinced me to get this '85 500f2...... Came as a package, 750 & 500 for $500.00.35543153e23ba1a68cb62c0f524556c5.jpg

Wow, you got a job on there. What's the plan for them?

13 hours ago, pietro said:

Great to find someone else still working on this bike even if on the other side of the planet. Magics of the www.

I'm also working on my vf400f, and am very happy you confirm that nc30 gears can be fitted into the vf. Could you please clear out what did you modify to make the clutch properly fit? I get the yoshimura stage two cams (very hot) I'm going to fit nextly, I'm also planning for the 418cc piston kit and a modified nc30 exhaust to be fitted in conjunction with the nc30 carbs or (better) fcr32mm. I will aslo fit the nc30 rear end with nc35 wheel and nc35 front end sitting in my bedroom fully rebuilded. I'm close to the fifties but still hart beating for this bike. Please keep us informed.

cheers

Pietro

Big plans there mate. I fitted the clutch to the input shaft but of course it is a NC30 shaft anyway. The splines are the same I think so if you just wanted to fit a NC30 clutch it would bolt straight up as long as you use the NC30 primary drive gear as well because the gearing is slightly different. Mine fouled the inside of the clutch housing but only by a tiny amount so 2 mins with a file and it was sorted.

Interesting idea with the carbs, I guess the spacing is wider on the VF500 because of the cam chain tunnels, have you offered them up at all? I have a couple of sets lying about so I may give that a shot.

Good luck with the build. Post some pics.

• Member Contributer
Wow, you got a job on there. What's the plan for them?

Don't I know it....
I now have four 750's....but sort of planning long term with the 500 that my daughter may get into it, she's only sixteen now. It will be back to original, it only has 28 000 k's and looks like that...
All this time away from bikes and I've only just found my hobby, loving it!

On 12/31/2016 at 7:19 PM, Forbes said:

Zoomed out pic with the full car and the bikes in view? Those things are unobtanium here, love those truckcars. Also, awesome deal.

• Member Contributer

Off topic, but a teaser...
I love my UTE(as they're called here), six litre, six speed manual, full race exhaust twenty inch rims(from GTS sedan) and I build my own sound systems. It's a really fun vehicle to drive..
Pic below when it was a bit newer, still looks good though!ef21cfd352245403bd98ed29d5125d40.jpg

• Member Contributer

Ute............   I recall a German lady with said name....   :wub:

Back on topic............

Looking forward to see and hear her run for the 1st time..

Me too Dutchy, had a few issues today. I was fitting a new "r" clip to the cam chain tensioner assembly but it sprang off and disappeared. I searched for at least an hour before concluding it must have gone into the motor. I had to take the head off again to be sure and found it wedged behind the cam chain slipper! Real bad luck.

• Member Contributer
Sweet ride, never understood why they didn't start bringing them here.

They were designed for left hand drive, and were going to be exported to the US, but GFC in 2009 killed it. Now GM has killed production in Australia, so this is the last year of manufacture. V8's on the demise.....
There were two guy's in the US importing 2nd hand one's, said they couldn't get enough...if you ever get the opportunity, go for it.....almost as good as riding a V4...
Ok, end of that!

• Member Contributer

We (well, when I was growing up in the USA) used to have the similarly styled Chevy El Caminos and Ford Rancheros, but they were discontinued by the late '80s.  I used to drive the shop's El Camino when I worked in a speed shop in Southern California in the '80s.  It was a shed, quite frankly, but had a hot rodded engine and headers (of course), so sounded nice! 

Ciao,

Finally found time to get the bulk of the motor built. I have a race engine woohoo!

Got a bit nervous pulling the cotter out of the cam tensioner after losing the R clip in the motor earlier in the build so I lock-wired it first! One cam was pretty badly pitted so that took a good few hours of polishing until I was happy. Took a better shot of the de-seamed ports, as well. I will hopefully have the modified generator cover back next week so that I can do the flywheel modification and then it's just the oil and water pumps and we're good to go!

Image100.jpgImage102.jpgImage103.jpgImage105.jpgImage106.jpg

On to the chassis assembly next!

• Member Contributer

Mmm, starting to like the silver of the heads against the black bottom end.
Mighty fine progress!

Awesome work Sportstu.  I hope it runs as great as it looks.  Can't say I've seen anyone do a better job on such a complete rebuild while showing their progress.  Thank you!  I'm very envious of your skills and resources.  

7 hours ago, jrodrims27 said:

Awesome work Sportstu.  I hope it runs as great as it looks.  Can't say I've seen anyone do a better job on such a complete rebuild while showing their progress.  Thank you!  I'm very envious of your skills and resources.

Thank you Jrod. I will be a bit apprehensive before the first start up but you can only do what you can do right? The way I look at it the motor's only got to last for a bit of testing and one 4 hour race, after that the bike's retiring to my shed!

Cheers

8 hours ago, sportstu said:

Thank you Jrod. I will be a bit apprehensive before the first start up but you can only do what you can do right? The way I look at it the motor's only got to last for a bit of testing and one 4 hour race, after that the bike's retiring to my shed!

Cheers

All that work for just 4 hours of fun?  You can't ride something like that on the streets over there just by slapping some reflectors and lights on it?  I hope it turns out to be a great and memorable 4 hours for you though.  

You wouldn't even try to run that bike again in a similar event or is that your MO, just build one, race it and move on to the next one?  Living the dream right there pal! 

• Member Contributer
On 1/2/2017 at 5:16 PM, Forbes said:

They were designed for left hand drive, and were going to be exported to the US, but GFC in 2009 killed it. Now GM has killed production in Australia, so this is the last year of manufacture. V8's on the demise.....
There were two guy's in the US importing 2nd hand one's, said they couldn't get enough...if you ever get the opportunity, go for it.....almost as good as riding a V4...
Ok, end of that!

Yeah, I was lusting for the Pontiac version when they came stateside.  Then GM killed off Pontiac and we never saw it here.  There was an imported one running around locally a couple of years ago.

1 minute ago, jrodrims27 said:

All that work for just 4 hours of fun?  You can't ride something like that on the streets over there just by slapping some reflectors and lights on it?  I hope it turns out to be a great and memorable 4 hours for you though.  

You wouldn't even try to run that bike again in a similar event or is that your MO, just build one, race it and move on to the next one?  Living the dream right there pal! 

Something like that mate. We mainly race in the national endurance series over here on modern kit.I haven't ridden street for years now, too much traffic and too cold in the Uk! I just fancied something different so we're doing this classic endurance race for a bit of fun. I was going to buy the bike, get it running and race it almost stock but when it turned up the sump was full of petrol and the head gasket had failed so it turned into a full on rebuild and then snowballed from there. If it survives then it may come out again sometime but there's no plans at the moment......

• Member Contributer

Only break it if you need the cash.

Money is only good when you spend it....

• Member Contributer

It took an act of God a distracted cager for me to break my beloved redslut...

:mad:

IMAG5007.jpg

Archived