Endurance Racing VF500 build.

sportstu

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi sportstu,

congratulation to your almost finished and beautiful bike. It is a shame that you have been a little bit late for the endurance racing event, but a wise decision not to race with an unfinished project.

In the video the engines revs very quick and responsive, you will feel the reduced rotating masses accellerating out of the corners, I am shure.

I want to build a race bike from my VF500 as well, but it should look like a RS850R like Joe Dunlop has ridden in the TT-F1 in 1983.

My choice is the 500-V4 instead of the bigger 750 or 1000 cc bike because of the reduced weight. And I love the smaller and lighter bikes anyway.....

Could you give me a hint regarding the larger oil pump and oil pan conversion? My VF is dated from 1985 and the oil pan is looking like your modified one.....

It has lots of cooling fins and the height is about 80 mm. In ebay you find two different types with cooling fin and without......difficult.....

I have just started collecting parts and have to thank you for all the interesting pictures and details of your build.

Hi. Thanks for the comments. Good luck with your build, are you doing a thread on it?

If your bike has the deep oil pan then I believe it will have the updated pump too. There's a casting number on the pump that will confirm it if you're in doubt but most later bikes will have it. Keep us posted with some pictures.

Cheers

Maybe I will start a thread when I start physically working in my garage.

First I have to dismantle the complete bike and then make a plan which parts can be used and what I do have to purchase and modify.

For example your exhaust man Peter has made a very good job. I will put him on my list and ask for support.

It is more than 500mls away from my place, but in combination with a holiday in Devon.....

I can show you my template as a taster.....

See you later....

Joes RS850R.jpg

Archived