Endurance Racing VF500 build.

sportstu

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, jeremyr62 said:

No chance of a spare set of 32mm carbs (Non California)?

I agree, maybe you can get somebody to loan you a set of VF500 carbs, clean em up, throw in new jets (very common jet types) and you're set? 

I could send you the Original needles for a non-cali version... Also bump the slow jets from #38 to #40.. Then start to play with the mains... IIRC we are running #110 on the mains (No aorbox cover, just a flame guard mesh) and open pipes..

Hi guys. All offers are much appreciated but the time constraints are so tight that I have withdrawn. There are 12 teams on the reserve list and I felt it better to give one of them a shot than turn up untested and not make the right impression. It's really sad because we are so close but I had set yesterday as my deadline and it just didn't look likely. The organisers were gutted, this was something different from the usual gsxr/fz stuff and they have offered free entry next year which I thought was pretty nice of them. In the meantime I feel I've let the side down a bit but the bike will still be on track this month and I'll post up the dyno results when I have them and hopefully some action pictures. I'm going to try to get an entry in a pro stock race if I can pursuade them to let me in even though it doesn't quite comply but other than that it's back in the shed until next year's legends race. Sorry I haven't got better news.

• Member Contributer

Ooofffff........

Better turn around halfway than lost the entire way.

Have a wee malt to drown this disappointment.

Sorry it didn't work out for you this year.  It's been a fun ride for me anyway, thanks for that.  In any case, it'll be great to see your dyno and action pictures when you get there.  

• Member Contributer

Well, damn.  You got a metric shit-ton of custom work done in a very short time though.  At least you can really dial it in now hopefully.

From my point of view that is a very wise decission.. I have been there more than once..

On the Suzuki endurance racer we had two races where we didn't even finish the qualifying sessions.. Race one was justified to mechanical rebuild issues.. The ( automated) camchain tensioner wheel came off and was lost on the track.. Not something you would fab instantly..

Second race, we suffered on severy oil spills caused by underdesigned breather lines..

But as soon we got these items tackled, we came in 4th on the next race and a #2 spot following that one..

On the VF500F we toasted two engines before we got it right.. Larger oilsump, larger oilpump, fuel delivery and an extra radiator were the mods..But we could only adress these items during race events..

Coming back to the earlier comment I made about a "Wise Decission".. Take it easy, and do your homework right.. Take it to the track and get the experience on short stints.. 20 mins or so.. Then take it to 45 mins stints and so on..

To me.. I never seen a fresh bike build for a Classic Endurance event that has survived the whole race without issues.. That's the samething like running the olympic marathon without any preparation..

• Member Contributer

I really have to say thanks for the ride, It's been epic! I hated to hear you didn't make it to the finish line, however you have started something wonderful! I hope you keep us all posted on the progression to next year. I hate the thought of this thread ending. I so badly want to build a vintage track bike. 

Thanks again for sharing.

I agree with what the others have said about waiting until the bike is ready. You will be a little more relaxed on the track once you have it dialed in, and have any other potential issues sorted. Yeah, it might not have been an easy decision, but I do believe you made the right decision. Plus you now have time to go over the bike again, and examine any further areas for imporvement. 

This must be the most supportive forum in the world. Your comments are very much appreciated and I will keep you posted on the progress. Thanks to everyone.

• Member Contributer

Your time and efforts are not wasted....you have inspired many in the process of your build, just don't stop posting and we'll all be happy. It's not the final race....

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Sneak it past the MOT, licence her and come ride some dikes here!

IMAG3617-1024x579.thumb.jpg.05db799cd4ef18c86f7ff08ebb02f4ee.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 5/8/2017 at 1:49 PM, sportstu said:

This must be the most supportive forum in the world. Your comments are very much appreciated and I will keep you posted on the progress. Thanks to everyone.

I may have a spare set of 49 State carbs that are not attached to the mounting plate.  Let me know if you are interested in them.  You would probably have to use your mounting plate and other parts (linkage if I recall correctly is missing as well).

PM me to discuss.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi Stu!

Here too, Photobucket new rules has wrecked havoc on you topic, by no longer showing the "finished product" :491:

Perhaps upload a few here directly on VFRD?  Pretty please?

• 1 month later...
On 10/08/2017 at 11:58 AM, Dutchy said:

Hi Stu!

Here too, Photobucket new rules has wrecked havoc on you topic, by no longer showing the "finished product" :491:

Perhaps upload a few here directly on VFRD?  Pretty please?

Wow, Photobucket now want 399.00 Euros a year to host photos!! I can't imaging too many people going for that!
Anyway, I'll upload some pics over the next couple of days.

I am actually going to collect the bike next week, it's been at the dyno all this time. I got busy with the racing season and the dyno guy got busy building bike for the Manx so it's just been sat under a terp for 6 months. He does say it runs very strong, I hope he's right!

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, sportstu said:

and the dyno guy got busy building bike for the Manx so it's just been sat under a terp for 6 months. He does say it runs very strong, I hope he's right!

So what are the numbers mister??? :goofy:

Archived