Endurance Racing VF500 build.

sportstu

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A work of art my friend.  Congratulations, hopefully you'll be able to video the dyno?  that would be awesome to see after following along all this time.  What radiator is that from?  You shouldn't have any cooling problems with that upgrade.  Awesome!  

49 minutes ago, jrodrims27 said:

A work of art my friend.  Congratulations, hopefully you'll be able to video the dyno?  that would be awesome to see after following along all this time.  What radiator is that from?  You shouldn't have any cooling problems with that upgrade.  Awesome!  

Thanks for that jrod. The radiator is a vfr750 unit from a 1997 model. It actually fits very nice, just got to make some simple brackets and cut the fairing. The hose unions are 25mm so standard hoses may have to stretch a bit.

• Member Contributer

Love it. A beautiful example of the love for a motorcycle,  that drives one to turn something mass produced into something personal. So very cool. You are already the winner.

• Member Contributer
Pretty damn cool.

Is that front fender on backwards?

My thoughts, but hey he's proven he can do what he wants...

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Haha, the fender is on the right way but it's not a vf  fender. I think it's from a cbr400 or something similar. I did try it the other way around but it could the Tyre. I think it looks racy.

• Member Contributer

Just got to read through this thread from start to now. All I can say is that is the coolest! (And how do I get a copy of that exhaust without going to Devon?)

14 hours ago, VF1000RS said:

Just got to read through this thread from start to now. All I can say is that is the coolest! (And how do I get a copy of that exhaust without going to Devon?)

Many thanks for the nice comments. Pete would be happy to have a chat about exhausts, his work is top drawer and very good value in my opinion.

• Member Contributer
On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 5:23 PM, sportstu said:

IMG_20170415_150613_zpsv41qoene.jpg

Sorry to ask a Numpty question but I see it has a big hole where the headlight should go. as it's an endurance racer should it have to have a light in there or will it be blanked off.

or is it still a WIP?

6 hours ago, Woodie said:

Sorry to ask a Numpty question but I see it has a big hole where the headlight should go. as it's an endurance racer should it have to have a light in there or will it be blanked off.

or is it still a WIP?

Not a numpty question at all mate. It's not a 24 hour race so there is no need for lights. We will have a number board there for the event, I just haven't made it yet.

• Member Contributer

Your thoughts on the seat cover, please.  Quality?  Fitment?  Installation?

They are sending me some examples for color as I am considering getting one for my VF1000F.

23 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Your thoughts on the seat cover, please.  Quality?  Fitment?  Installation?

They are sending me some examples for color as I am considering getting one for my VF1000F.

It's very good quality. I fitted it myself and I am not an upholsterer at all. The fit is excellent. I should have used a bit more glue but overall I'm really happy.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, sportstu said:

It's very good quality. I fitted it myself and I am not an upholsterer at all. The fit is excellent. I should have used a bit more glue but overall I'm really happy.

Thank you sir.  And again, wonderful job.

On 4/15/2017 at 0:31 PM, sportstu said:

IMG_20170415_151433_zpsr5sotvpx.jpg

This is a wonderful build, beautiful execution!  

On 3/21/2017 at 4:47 AM, sportstu said:

... I will take the standard tap off and fit a inline one along with a large filter...

A bit unrelated, but I'm in the early stages of a Hawk GT647 build and have a spare VF500F tank.  I was looking for a way to clear the rear cylinder with the VF fuel petcock.  I think this image just answered all my questions!  No reserve, so that could be a challenge for the street ("Hello Honey, you're not going to believe what happened - again.  Please grab the gas can and meet me...")

Best of luck, watching closely!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Quick update on the critical situation we are in. The race is less than a week away and the bike is still in the dyno room struggling to get off the needles. The problem is that the carbs need a dynojet kit to overcome the restriction imposed by this being a California machine and we can't get the kit until after the race. As a last resort we are trying different mains and attempting to reshape the needles by hand. The needles are not adjustable for height so it's shims and files that we are working with. All very time consuming but we are not giving up yet!!! The good news is that the bike seems great in every other way.

55 minutes ago, sportstu said:

Ok. Quick update on the critical situation we are in. The race is less than a week away and the bike is still in the dyno room struggling to get off the needles. The problem is that the carbs need a dynojet kit to overcome the restriction imposed by this being a California machine and we can't get the kit until after the race. As a last resort we are trying different mains and attempting to reshape the needles by hand. The needles are not adjustable for height so it's shims and files that we are working with. All very time consuming but we are not giving up yet!!! The good news is that the bike seems great in every other way.

wow, not sure what getting off the needles or overcoming the restriction means but best of luck with that.  Strange how a California bike ended up in your neck of the woods with so many other possibilities out there in the whole wide world.  I assume you've checked that your vacuum diaphragms are all in good order.  

• Member Contributer

Fingers crossed (even here in the Netherlands) that all will be good come the race.....   :beer:

Archived