Endurance Racing VF500 build.

sportstu

A bit of exhaust pipe teaser, I went to drop something off to the guy making the pipes so I took a couple of pics. Only the headers on the front bank done so far but I reckon they look great. I went for 26inch headers, 14 link pipe and some stubby cans. I hope that's about right but someone on here with more knowledge may well say different...................

Image174.thumb.jpg.c0e3df4c3da7f7f93b147a051c6da8d2.jpgImage175.thumb.jpg.2a24bddd6a3f749a72c05c66bbaaebda.jpgImage175.thumb.jpg.2a24bddd6a3f749a72c05c66bbaaebda.jpg

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

This endurance is one of THE events i reckon (and what I read in CMM..).

Eternal Glory looms!!

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, jeremyr62 said:

Do you plan on winning the race? You must have sunk a fair bit of cash into this project. I hope you are rewarded.

Any idea when you think it will run? 

You're seeing his reward now. The journey is the reward...for us as well as him.

Hey thanks for all the nice comments, genuinely pleased that people are enjoying this.The plan is to make a good showing of it, a win in class would be awesome but we are the smallest machine in the race we'll be giving away 20bhp at least. Having said that, we don't normally enter anything to make up the numbers, our history in the national endurance series is pretty good and my team mate is a very very quick rider who normally competes in BSB. I hope that the bike will be back with me at the end of this week, I have to make a bracket for the new shock because Nitron didn't quite understand the brief and then it's just the hundreds of little jobs to get it running. The panels will be painted by the end of this week too. The aim is to have it on track early April so that if it breaks or if the gearbox doesn't work we still have time to sort it before the race in May.

5 hours ago, jrodrims27 said:

This is truly an epic thread for remaining vf500f fans worldwide! Are you planning any dyno pulls? Thank You!

Dyno set up is planned as soon as the old girl is running so that we can get the fuelling right, whatever the result I will post it up here. My heart wants 70 but my head says nearer 60, what do you reckon??

Bog stock RWHP for an 84/85 VF500 was about 53BHP at 11000RPM. Getting to 70 BHP is big jump. Is it mainly the exhaust that is going to give you the bump? Any other significant tuning work? 

• Member Contributer

Well you might be lucky, my old 1986 VF500F2 with 54,000 miles on it made 59rwhp on PDQ's dyno back in 2003 :)

It had a Predator Exhaust + K&N air filter, running on CBR600 wheels & a Hagon shock. I replaced it with a CBR600F4, which would easily out handle it, but just didn't have the sole nor the flexible V4 engine. I don't know why, but you never seem to be in the wrong gear on a V4 :)

PS it produced more power with the snorkel in the airbox, than out, but the noise with it out was amazing.

3 hours ago, jeremyr62 said:

Bog stock RWHP for an 84/85 VF500 was about 53BHP at 11000RPM. Getting to 70 BHP is big jump. Is it mainly the exhaust that is going to give you the bump? Any other significant tuning work? 

No other major work. The ports have been cleaned up and the carbs rebuilt but I've steered clear of trying to get too musc power because I need it first to be reliable. It will have a jet kit and a bespoke ignition map, new coils and a different air filter and the flame mesh removed but basically it's pretty stock.

• Member Contributer

The January 2015 and December 2016 issue of CCM states 68.7bhp, but that might just be regurgitating Honda marketing.

US testes did quarter mile in 12,79seconds with a terminal speed of 103mph

• Member Contributer
27 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

The January 2015 and December 2016 issue of CCM states 68.7bhp, but that might just be regurgitating Honda marketing.

US testes did quarter mile in 12,79seconds with a terminal speed of 103mph

Those numbers are at the crank, not the rear wheel.  When the bike first came out, it made the most power at the crank "per liter" than any other bike.

• Member Contributer

so deduct ~10-12% I'd hazard a guess.   But Stu's dyno will tell all!!

Before opening this topic, I prepare myself...Just want you to know that I've laid out a stack of paper towels over the key board to keep it from shorting out from all the drool.

Wuv it.

I have never seen one dyno'd at more than 53 but that was from stock magazine tests about a million years ago.  I can't say I've seen anyone dyno one of these in good condition in recent decades.  I've only seen a couple with very low numbers on engines in poor condition.  I will mention, IF I remember correctly that a fella named Jamie Daugherty (an ultra expert from another site) who used to race these, mentioned something about the stock exhaust collector and that it isn't a terrible design for this bike and that sometimes attempts for more free flowing exhausts have come up short or something along those lines.  

They had a pretty extensive discussion on it.  

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/30249-VF500F-Aftermarket-Exhaust-Systems-from-Back-in-the-Day  

We hope you nailed it with your design on this one and perhaps your porting and richer jets can be calibrated efficiently enough for you to make good numbers.  It'll be very interesting to see what you end up pulling.  

39 minutes ago, jrodrims27 said:

I have never seen one dyno'd at more than 53 but that was from stock magazine tests about a million years ago.  I can't say I've seen anyone dyno one of these in good condition in recent decades.  I've only seen a couple with very low numbers on engines in poor condition.  I will mention, IF I remember correctly that a fella named Jamie Daugherty (an ultra expert from another site) who used to race these, mentioned something about the stock exhaust collector and that it isn't a terrible design for this bike and that sometimes attempts for more free flowing exhausts have come up short or something along those lines.  

They had a pretty extensive discussion on it.  

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/30249-VF500F-Aftermarket-Exhaust-Systems-from-Back-in-the-Day  

We hope you nailed it with your design on this one and perhaps your porting and richer jets can be calibrated efficiently enough for you to make good numbers.  It'll be very interesting to see what you end up pulling.  

I have heard that said before but conventional theory says that the most efficient system for a 360 degree v4 is paired front bank and paired rear bank so that the pulses are seperated by a full revolution. As far as I know the standard collector pairs left and right but I could be wrong. Every system has to have a compromise. I hope that mine will give me peak power at around the 11000 mark and a reasonable higher mid range from the reletively long headers and if I lose some low down grunt it won't be a problem. The dyno will tell, It's going to be a nervous day for me!

Anyway, I was clearing out one of the containers and I took a pic of the poor old NC30 that sacrificed its rearsets and rear brake master for the greater good of the build. I have had this bike for years and rebuilt it into various configurations over time ranging from standard road trim to hideous Tyga/Ducati thing with 996 forks. In the end I decided that I was unlikely to ever ride it on the road again so I built it into race spec. It's got some fairly trick bits on it but I've never raced it or had it quite finished so it has sat in the container for the last few years looking sorry for itself. After this endurance race I'll get this one finished and post some more pics.The chap who did the paint on this is absolutely brilliant, all of the colours, including the gold pin stripes are painted on, no stickers at all. He is also doing the little 500 and that is looking every but as good.

Image176.thumb.jpg.fd6d12736739c705212f65cc747248a5.jpgImage176.thumb.jpg.fd6d12736739c705212f65cc747248a5.jpg

Wow, you have bikes like that collecting dust in containers?  Living the dream right there... 

Anyway, just in case you're curious and hadn't seen one opened up, this is a stock collector picture I pirated from that aforementioned site. 

DSCF3985.jpg

On 3/8/2017 at 9:45 AM, Dutchy said:

US testes did quarter mile in 12,79seconds with a terminal speed of 103mph

Yes, one had to have had quite a large set of avocados to get on that bike and wind it out back then...  :D

47 minutes ago, Shinigami said:

Yes, one had to have had quite a large set of avocados to get on that bike and wind it out back then...  :D

Actually, it takes water-melon sized to do that today given the weakness of the old valves.  Back then, raisin-size would have been more than enough wringing out the new engine.  

Archived