Endurance Racing VF500 build.

sportstu

5 hours ago, Dutchy said:

As a subscriber to the CMM magazine, I read that the 4 hour endurance will be quite a show......

It's a big event this year Dutchy, worth the trip for the weekend?

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
1 hour ago, sportstu said:

It's a big event this year Dutchy, worth the trip for the weekend?

Considering it; being on "garden leave" gives me the possibility...

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Considering it; being on "garden leave" gives me the possibility...

You'd probably take the ferry, but if you went through London, you could always stay over at my place!

(But you'll have to ride the VTR!)  :blush:

Ciao,

Today I've been doing a bit of work fitting the rear wheel and getting the chain line right. I've done a fair bit of research on this because it seems a reasonably common conversion to fit CBR600F2 wheels. Trouble is, there are conflicting measurements for getting the chain right  and aligning the wheel etc, and, I'm using the NC30 gearbox which has a slightly longer output shaft.

So, I've spent a few hours on the job and I think I've sorted it in the best way but, my method doesn't seem to tally with any of the measurements that are already available, which is to be expected with the chain line, but the wheel alignment should work. Anyway, I've got to get a couple of spacers made up, replace the carrier bearing and get a bit of machining done and then I'll bolt it all up and let you know if it works!

I've booked the bike in to have it's custom exhausts made in the third week of February and I have to have it built up and rolling by then so now I have deadline to spur me on.

Finally finished a few jobs. It took a couple of attempts to get the rear wheel and chain alignment spot on but this is how it looks now.Image131.thumb.jpg.a0f67f44835ebd8746c84170a2f39a2f.jpg

The pic below shows the NC30 output shaft and it's fairly obvious that it's about 3mm longer

Image132.thumb.jpg.5c652c5b89f7c81315457b5459a915bb.jpg

So what I ended up doing is this.

The left spacer is machined down to 7mm. The seal pocket on the carrier is machined down to 20mm from the bearing seat. For my bike I had to machine the sprocket face of the carrier down by 7mm to get a chain line. I've fitted a new bearing, no circlip (how can the bearing move??) and then fit a seal 30x47x6, which is a Vespa part apparently and it all looks neat and tidy. The only other thing I did was turn the inner spacer down to 5.2mm which allowed the carrier to sit tight to the wheel. So far so good, now for the other side. I'm just waiting for a caliper carrier to arrive so that I can do some measuring up.

Image127.thumb.jpg.d81d8361600d366c766296f76b00a316.jpg

So the other bit of progress is that I have built up the calipers. It doesn't take long but I'd been sent a seal set with the wrong seals in so I've been waiting for the right ones to get here. I painted the halves while I was waiting and I'm pretty happy that  could run a flat file over the lettering to make it stand out. Trouble is that is the side of the caliper that faces in so it won't get seen!

Image133.thumb.jpg.d85eb36c08bb03dc36109293ca21d804.jpg

Image134.thumb.jpg.ffe0068e5ac123073cd0aa678822907f.jpg

I took a big step today and arranged to have a bespoke race shock absorber built by Nitron. I did make a bracket to enable fitting a zx6r shock but in the end I thought it would be worth getting a custom one made. The cost is very reasonable and it will be ride height adjustable and built for the right link ratio. If anyone wants details PM me and I'll put you in touch.

A bit more work to tidy up some loose ends. There wasn't enough clearance inside the clutch casing for the 10 plate clutch on full lift so I took the big step and cut the cover up. I now have an accurate measurement so it's gone off to be welded with a spacer in it. There is absolutely nothing straightforward about this bike!!

I've also cut down a vfr400 sprocket cover with the cable clutch mechanism so that it fits. I'd like to use it but at the moment it gets in the way of the generator wiring so I'll have to try to work something out.

Image136.thumb.jpg.ff15dfb07fd9a23f317da1b5b1cb0f90.jpg

Image137.thumb.jpg.454821067ec25ac63c2b6fb2517d22c3.jpg

Image139.thumb.jpg.837018efcfea811b09ebb0946fffa5cf.jpg

Very impressive progress, can't wait to see the final product.  Changing up the transmission has seemed to be the most complicated aspect of your endeavor so far.  I hope everything continues to come together well and that those God-forsaken valves hold up for you.  

Not the neatest weld in the world but the alloy is very thin. It does the job though. I'll paint it black before I fit it.

Image140.thumb.jpg.e55199099d2407e11ceda2f3c4e9f345.jpg

Image142.thumb.jpg.4f0e65dc1c686ab4be40e36c54fba6a8.jpg

I hope to have some footpegs fitted later this week when I've knocked up some adjustable brackets for them. Should get the back wheel on this week too and then I'll have a bike that I can take off the ramp and push around, excitement indeed!

49 minutes ago, TheDutchy said:

Endurance - Performance over looks...

True enough, It does look a lot better now that it's painted and I think it looks good in a functional way!

• Member Contributer

Once it's running, with all the effort put in, maybe a chat to Sebspeed for an extended clear cover would finish it of?
But cudo's to you on the job so far....proves almost anything can be done if you put your mind to it!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Forbes said:

Once it's running, with all the effort put in, maybe a chat to Sebspeed for an extended clear cover would finish it of?
But cudo's to you on the job so far....proves almost anything can be done if you put your mind to it!

Cheers for that. I've seen pictures of the clear covers. My only thought is that I don't think I'd be allowed to race it with anything other than a ally cover. There's nothing that I can see in the regs but I'd be nervous presenting it to scrutineering with a perspex cover.

Dutchy you dog, post up any and all pics of that bike, in a new thread if you want. That thing looks awesome.

No way they'd allow a clear clutch cover, already requiring safety wire on critical fasteners.

• Member Contributer
On Endurance racers sometimes an extra skid plate is welded onto the clutch cover..

IMG_2682.thumb.JPG.f72b86fb3ab99e8368a70e1d78085b04.JPG

Haha, with the extra clutch length he may need a knee pad on it.
I was thinking more for after the race....as Sportstu said he was building it for the one race only, be sad to not see all that engineering on display after the checkered flag!

I've abandoned the underslung caliper idea for now, I'm up against the wall in terms of time. I have to have the bike complete at the end of the month because it's booked in to have the exhausts made. So, I got hold of a VTR caliper bracket because they have been used a few times but it's not a straightforward job at all. Anyway, sleeves and spacers made and it all fits nicely now but I will have to weld a lug on top of the existing one on the swing arm because it only just engages with the bracket.Image143.thumb.jpg.f7c60ca22e3e9c74208e3b37d4a02d03.jpg

I've been getting on with a few other bits too. Cleaned some discs up and fitted them with by blingy titanium bolts......Image147.thumb.jpg.58a41510b11b101b41e7288fa7f79d29.jpg

I'm thinking of upgrading the airbox intake from the snorkel to ram air. I can get the intake under the radiator and into the airbox and make a foam filter for the front of the airbox. I haven't cut anything yet but it looks like it'll work.

Image145.thumb.jpg.f8c38e4888fe9cee197feb2ccf8f1c0e.jpgImage149.thumb.jpg.3a33f090eeb177dca3de5dba3db96e73.jpg

And I have fitted up the cable clutch conversion which works a treat!Image146.thumb.jpg.db902206bd2d40b07622feff86464163.jpg

On 1.12.2016 at 9:15 PM, TheDutchy said:

We left most of the casings just with a blasted finish.. In my opinion a plus on the Cooling factor.. And cooling is what you gonna need on a VF500..

Fabbed a VF750F bottom rad to fit within the headlight cluster for additional cooling,,

IMG_0752.JPG

On 1.12.2016 at 10:12 PM, sportstu said:

Nice looking bike, I do like the natural casings. Did you lacquer them? As yours is race ready why not enter too???

Great solution to the cooling, I was intending to fit a larger curved radiator and cut the fairing a little bit.

Hi, tell me what tires you use in your race bike?

On 1.12.2016 at 10:12 PM, sportstu said:

Nice looking bike, I do like the natural casings. Did you lacquer them? As yours is race ready why not enter too???

Great solution to the cooling, I was intending to fit a larger curved radiator and cut the fairing a little bit.

Archived