Lost Keys

VFRLuvr

Hi All,

I lost my last remaining key of my beloved VFR. I called a "factory authorized" Honda shop and the guy seemed absolutely perplexed as to what to do. I called a lock smith and they said they could make a key from the gas tank lock but I'd have to bring them the bike, leave it there for 3-4 days, and it'll cost $250-300!  Is there a better way to get a key made?  Follow up question, I don't have a wheel chock, is there some trick to securing the bike in the back of my truck without something to hold the front wheel? Or should I just make something from scrap wood?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

A key made for the gas tank will not work on the ignition as Honda uses an extra 2 tumblers on the ignition switch not used on the gas tank. The only way to make a key is to take off the ignition switch from the steering stem and once off there will be a number on it that they can use the internet and cut the correct key for the switch . Getting the switch out is really not too hard to do .

16 hours ago, gmtech94 said:

Getting the switch out is really not too hard to do .

Is it possible without the key? idk about these, but many locks in different applications I've seen require a matching key to remove them from place or disassemble.

to strap the bike for a short ride you really need a pair of straps and a wall to press front wheel against. put straps on handlebars (find the place where it won't damage anything), tie them step by step to compress the front fork until it's solid enough but still has some travel left. smth like this  https://goo.gl/images/VxXlur

If your truck is not really bouncy, then front end is enough even for long trips, but you can add more straps to the back if you want to feel more secure.

• Member Contributer

Does your bike have the HISS Honda Ignition Security System? If so, then you are up for an new ECM with matched transponder keys to go with it, sorry to frighten you!!

Best of luck with it all.

• Member Contributer

no hiss in cali. like it was said already pull the switch flip it over get the "key code" call up Honda dealer tell them to cut a key. hell we do it at work for about $15. that's to cut the key not pull the switch.

might be easier to pull the upper triple tree out with the switch still hooked on to it and go to dealer that way they can make sure it works before you leave, also switch will most likely have anti-tamper screws holding it on and are a biotch to get out.

Archived