New 8th gen - $6,500!!

Cogswell

• Member Contributer

Browsing ebay this evening turns up a new 2014 (1 mile) for Buy It Now $6,500.   Incredible!  I paid $8,500 for my '99 5th gen when new.  Using an inflation calculator, in today's prices that would be $12,317.   Inflation calculator  That makes this 8th gen about 1/2 the price of my 5th gen in constant Dollars.  I can only wonder what that kind of pricing says about the US market and whether Honda will continue to sell it here.  :unsure:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Really think I'll just try to strait trade for one with my Street Triple R. Would be nice to find DLX but I'd live without it.

Really think I'll just try to strait trade for one with my Street Triple R. Would be nice to find DLX but I'd live without it.

The Deluxe is well worth the extra money IMHO. You get adjustable front/rear suspension, ABS, TCS, heated grips and center stand - the standard model has none of these.

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, Rambler358 said:

The Deluxe is well worth the extra money IMHO. You get adjustable front/rear suspension, ABS, TCS, heated grips and center stand - the standard model has none of these.

No disagreement here with that at all - I would also go for the DLX if shopping.  The point was the relative weakness in prices for new units be they DLX or not. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Conedodger said:

If I didn't have a perfectly good red 6th gen, I'd be pulling the trigger!

That could be part of Honda's (and all the manufacturer's) trouble - a shrinking demographic and plenty of high quality, low mile used bikes around, or like me riders that are perfectly happy with what they have.  I was thrilled to see Honda introduce the 8th gen - but I fear for its longevity - at least in the N.A. market. 

• Member Contributer

Pretty confident I'll end up with one in my garage within 3 months. It will probably be kept on a tender and not ridden for several years... my 6th has too much life left to retire it.

Crikey, I know it's different pricing from Sweden but I paid around those figures for my 2006 VFR this summer which has some 12k miles on it. It did come with a Leovince skb slipon and hard luggage but nowhere near any of the fittings needed to put them on the bike :) (I bought nuts and bolds for $40 the other day and need more to get the things on there)

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Cogswell said:

That could be part of Honda's (and all the manufacturer's) trouble - a shrinking demographic and plenty of high quality, low mile used bikes around, or like me riders that are perfectly happy with what they have.  I was thrilled to see Honda introduce the 8th gen - but I fear for its longevity - at least in the N.A. market. 

I agree.  The 8th gen is nicely refined, but it isn't significantly different from the 6th gen.  Not enough there to make me want to make the leap.

• Member Contributer

That's what I paid for my leftover 07 with ABS in 2009.

I like the 8th gen, it's definitely a refined 6th gen, unlike the 7th that was completely different. (That's not to say I don't like the 7th gen. A friend has one and he absolutely loves it, as much as I love my 6th gen.) If I were in the market for a new bike, I would most likely get an 8th gen, unless I found a screaming deal on a 7th.

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Cogswell said:

The real problem is Honda doesn't market their motorcycles at all.  Look at how many cars they sell.  They market their cars.  What a revelation.....

The car market is much, much bigger than the motorcycle market.  In the MC market, you really have to target your audience and be very specific.  Websites such as this and others like it should be their first go-to for advertising the VFR800.  They should be more aggressive in offering road test reviews posted on YouTube MC related sites.  More pretty pictures in Cycle World and other publications would help.  But then again, they've got a CBR1000RR that they're focused on at the moment.  Between that and the Africa Twin, there is no room for the slow selling VFR800 in the advertising budget.  LOL!

• Member Contributer

OK, I never felt this way, but now I must admit this is pushing me to hate the USA.... 6k euro for a new 8th gen....

:goofy:

Just kidding!!!

and either way, you enjoy your new president ok? :beer:

• Member Contributer
On November 3, 2016 at 2:54 AM, Pjcliffo said:

Great bike and a great deal, quick grab it.

Either they raised the price or somebody already got it because the only new one I see on eBay now is a '14 white non-deluxe in NC for $8,498.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

Either they raised the price or somebody already got it because the only new one I see on eBay now is a '14 white non-deluxe in NC for $8,498.

It's now showing up under "Completed listings" rather than "Sold listings".   They could have sold it locally in the dealership and pulled the ebay listing. 

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, Rogue_Biker said:

The car market is much, much bigger than the motorcycle market.  In the MC market, you really have to target your audience and be very specific.  Websites such as this and others like it should be their first go-to for advertising the VFR800.  They should be more aggressive in offering road test reviews posted on YouTube MC related sites.  More pretty pictures in Cycle World and other publications would help.  But then again, they've got a CBR1000RR that they're focused on at the moment.  Between that and the Africa Twin, there is no room for the slow selling VFR800 in the advertising budget.  LOL!

Could it be a slow selling bike because it has NEVER been marketed?  People will buy ANYTHING if it's marketed.  Just look at this election about to come to an end....finally.  

• Member Contributer
Just now, Bent said:

Could it be a slow selling bike because it has NEVER been marketed?  People will buy ANYTHING if it's marketed.  Just look at this election about to come to an end....finally.  

I agree, look at how Harley has done with marketing! 

Archived