New 8th gen - $6,500!!

Cogswell

• Member Contributer
On 11/2/2016 at 10:39 PM, Cogswell said:

Browsing ebay this evening turns up a new 2014 (1 mile) for Buy It Now $6,500.   Incredible!  I paid $8,500 for my '99 5th gen when new.  Using an inflation calculator, in today's prices that would be $12,317.   Inflation calculator  That makes this 8th gen about 1/2 the price of my 5th gen in constant Dollars.  I can only wonder what that kind of pricing says about the US market and whether Honda will continue to sell it here.  :unsure:

I think it's great that people are getting good deals but at what point do we no longer consider a leftover 2014 model "new".  I mean, if we fast forward 3 more years to the year 2020 and see a Honda dealer trying to sell a leftover "new" 2014 model for $1,599 are we really gonna be surprised and say "holy smokes I had to pay 8 times that price when I bought mine new"?  As soon as someone rides off the lot with their "new" 2014 model it is instantly just another 3 year old used bike, albeit one with very low miles and a warranty.  I'm reminded of when I bought a leftover "new" 2004 Mustang Cobra Convertible in the summer of 2006.  Dealers had been sitting on those cars forever because they were the coveted model in their eyes and they were trying to inflate the prices over sticker.  But then the prices plummeted because the all new body style had now been out for 2 years and the 2007's were right around the corner.  All of a sudden they were selling them for dirt cheap!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, rckrzy1 said:

I'm about to pull trigger on a 2014 VFR800 DLX for $8,499 which if I have done my research is about $4K off the price from 2014.

Glad to see you're stepping up to the Deluxe.  Worth the extra cost, in my opinion. But that's still a great price. 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

I think it's great that people are getting good deals but at what point do we no longer consider a leftover 2014 model "new".  I mean, if we fast forward 3 more years to the year 2020 and see a Honda dealer trying to sell a leftover "new" 2014 model for $1,599 are we really gonna be surprised and say "holy smokes I had to pay 8 times that price when I bought mine new"?  As soon as someone rides off the lot with their "new" 2014 model it is instantly just another 3 year old used bike, albeit one with very low miles and a warranty.  I'm reminded of when I bought a leftover "new" 2004 Mustang Cobra Convertible in the summer of 2006.  Dealers had been sitting on those cars forever because they were the coveted model in their eyes and they were trying to inflate the prices over sticker.  But then the prices plummeted because the all new body style had now been out for 2 years and the 2007's were right around the corner.  All of a sudden they were selling them for dirt cheap!

IMO it's "new" until someone buys it (unless, of course, it's been demo'd to death) and I will GLADLY buy a "new" 2014 in 2020 for double the price in your scenario.

• Member Contributer

the 8th gen is a great looking and handling bike. i just wish honda would drop a 7th gen motor in it with chain drive, call it new, put usd forks on it, promote it as wonderful (did anyone hear the words super sport??) and watch the orders come in. And to those that say its too hard to do this....i say they created a 7th gen ... surely they can mod a couple of things on the 8th gen and make it work.

18 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

Since the 2014 is identical to the 2017, if it's new in the crate with zero miles and full warranty, it's new in my book. While it's true you leave the lot with a three year old bike, anyone that's buying any motorcycle considering resale value is making a mistake to start with.  To your point Gator - if the current model is "improved" or has more desirable features, then one could argue that the non current model is "new", but it's not the same bike.

http://powersports.honda.com/total-price-massacre.aspx#cbr1000rr-2008

Things got so bad in 2009 Honda did a permanent price reduction on several models.    Very few people were buying toys back then and bikes that were traditionally slow sellers were serious showroom anchors.

On 5/1/2017 at 6:20 PM, DriverDave said:

Glad to see you're stepping up to the Deluxe.  Worth the extra cost, in my opinion. But that's still a great price. 

I didn't on my CTX1300 and regretted it, I would have paid the extra just to get the center stand installed, After doing that center stand install I was cussing at myself, what a PIA that was. SO far I am in love with my interceptor. I traded in my 2010 Street Triple R for the CTX1300 and found out you can't lean a CTX anywhere near  as far as I tried, my

bruising is fading and I am never going to get another cruiser/touring bike again. Only up side is this 500 pound bike feels like a feather to me after that 725 pound pig.

• Member Contributer
On 5/2/2017 at 0:13 PM, LucaBrasi said:

Since the 2014 is identical to the 2017, if it's new in the crate with zero miles and full warranty, it's new in my book. While it's true you leave the lot with a three year old bike, anyone that's buying any motorcycle considering resale value is making a mistake to start with.  To your point Gator - if the current model is "improved" or has more desirable features, then one could argue that the non current model is "new", but it's not the same bike.

I see your point and it would perhaps be more applicable for folks living in countries where Honda is actually offering the slightly tweaked '17 model - only a true VFR nut would notice any changes.  But in the USA Honda appears to have no interest in offering the '17 model.  My point wasn't so much about resale value.  My point was that while it's great people are getting ostensibly "new" bikes for way less than the initial or even downwardly revised MSRP, they are simply getting the bikes at a price that reflects what the law of supply and demand dictates a new bike with 3 years worth of dust on it is worth.

That said, personally I think my '14 VFR looks just as up to date and modern as some of the all new for '17 models such as the '17 CBR 1000RR and Ducati SuperSport.  Yes the VFR is missing some of the higher tech electronics of these new bikes but it does have LED headlights, ABS, and traction control - things not even offered on the 1000RR in the USA until this new for '17 model (yeah technically ABS was offered previously on the 1000RR but good luck actually finding one).  And who knows, maybe the '17 Ducati SuperSport will reinvigorate interest in the sports-touring market for the USA and result in new old stock VFRs selling out and convince Honda to release the '17 (or '18) VFR in the USA?

• Member Contributer
  • 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 0 mile "new" 2014 DLX for $8,349 out the door. Had to fly to rural PA from Boston to get it, but the dealer couldn't have been nicer and had several others in stock for the same price. williamsporthonda.com

• Member Contributer

Congratulations, that is a steal!

But....

:worthlesswithoutpics:

Archived