New 8th gen - $6,500!!

Cogswell

I live in NY and I found a leftover 2014 8 Gen in WI for $6,700. The problem was I had to buy it in WI and the travel/hotel/transport costs put it over $8800. My local dealer matched the $8800 & I brought it home the same day. A great price is only relative to how close you are to the dealer.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
2 hours ago, bobbyn said:

I live in NY and I found a leftover 2014 8 Gen in WI for $6,700. The problem was I had to buy it in WI and the travel/hotel/transport costs put it over $8800. My local dealer matched the $8800 & I brought it home the same day. A great price is only relative to how close you are to the dealer.

WOW....$2,100 for travel and hotel to pick up a bike?   Were you taking an Uber or just buying a same day, full price airfare ticket?

I didn't spend 1/4th of that to drive from TN to TX and pick up a CB500X that my son had bought, deliver it to him in Willits, CA and pick up his electrically challenged 6G that had him in a Nissan rental car for two weeks and return to TN.

Not saying that it is free to pick up a smoking deal on a vehicle several (or more) states away but it can be done without spending 1/3rd the cost of the newly acquired vehicle.

Plus some people like the adventure of going places and meeting new people.

• Member Contributer

You forgot to add in the cost of "live entertainment" while at the hotels when calculating the $2100 bill for the trip ;)

Also just checked cycle trader and the $68xx 8th gen in wisconsin is still advertised http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Cedar-Creek-Motorsports-2849254/listing/2014-Honda-Interceptor-VFR800-112954838

Here's a DLX for $7900 http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Cedar-Creek-Motorsports-2849254/listing/2014-Honda-Interceptor-VFR800-DLX-114917243

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, windyrun said:

why wait until Jan??

2 payments left on the Street Triple R, might as well finish it off before I trade it in.

• Member Contributer

Makes sense ... but didn't realize i was promoting a quicker trade of a cousin (i have a 675 triumph also :beer:)

From the looks of your garage though it must feel a bit out of place :)

21 hours ago, CornerCarver said:

WOW....$2,100 for travel and hotel to pick up a bike?   Were you taking an Uber or just buying a same day, full price airfare ticket?

I didn't spend 1/4th of that to drive from TN to TX and pick up a CB500X that my son had bought, deliver it to him in Willits, CA and pick up his electrically challenged 6G that had him in a Nissan rental car for two weeks and return to TN.

Not saying that it is free to pick up a smoking deal on a vehicle several (or more) states away but it can be done without spending 1/3rd the cost of the newly acquired vehicle.

Plus some people like the adventure of going places and meeting new people.

A. Fly there, ride it back. That means bringing/borrowing tools to modify it first. Hotels, meals, time off from work. Hope the mods don't have a glitch.

B. Fly there, truck it back. I don't own a truck/van so I would have to rent.

C. Drive there, truck it back. See above.

D. Cheaper doesn't always equate to less expensive. 

E. It must be nice to be retired with a truck.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, bobbyn said:

A. Fly there, ride it back. That means bringing/borrowing tools to modify it first. Hotels, meals, time off from work. Hope the mods don't have a glitch.

B. Fly there, truck it back. I don't own a truck/van so I would have to rent.

C. Drive there, truck it back. See above.

D. Cheaper doesn't always equate to less expensive. 

E. It must be nice to be retired with HAVE a truck.

Even better to have a couple of friends crazy enough to take a 5 day weekend and help with the drive/

43 minutes ago, CornerCarver said:

Even better to have a couple of friends crazy enough to take a 5 day weekend and help with the drive/

...even nicer to be single and have a truck...

• Member Contributer
35 minutes ago, bobbyn said:

...even nicer to be single and have a truck...

i can remember back that far (married since 1984)  but my truck today is much nicer than the one I had as a single man when I was single.

• Member Contributer
On November 3, 2016 at 4:06 PM, Cogswell said:

That could be part of Honda's (and all the manufacturer's) trouble - a shrinking demographic and plenty of high quality, low mile used bikes around, or like me riders that are perfectly happy with what they have.  I was thrilled to see Honda introduce the 8th gen - but I fear for its longevity - at least in the N.A. market. 

Motorcycle sales are about half of what they were annually in the 2005-2006 timeframe.  Motorcycles are bought with disposable income for the most part and people just don't have it as in the past.  I don't think much of it is a generational thing.  Maybe draining the swamp will help bring back normalcy which most people have forgotten IMO.  We are paying for too much govt. and not enough of what we want.  Over and out.  

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Bent said:

Motorcycle sales are about half of what they were annually in the 2005-2006 timeframe.  Motorcycles are bought with disposable income for the most part and people just don't have it as in the past.  I don't think much of it is a generational thing.  Maybe draining the swamp will help bring back normalcy which most people have forgotten IMO.  We are paying for too much govt. and not enough of what we want.  Over and out.  

Back in reality, most of my money isn't going to govt, but instead it's going to paying for stuff that has gotten more expensive, while I continue to make the same pay.

There's a DLX for $10,800 out the door here that I may consider... ABS/TC/Heated Grips/More Suspension Adjustment.. I guess it's worth a few g's more.

• Member Contributer
15 minutes ago, thtanner said:

Back in reality, most of my money isn't going to govt, but instead it's going to paying for stuff that has gotten more expensive, while I continue to make the same pay.

I agree and it can be difficult to quantify the cost of government waste and mis-management.  For example, are you and I paying more for pork and beef because our government determined to subsidize some farmers and we are putting 10% corn into our petroleum products?  Hard to say.

I do know that when I travel to Washington DC for work I am always pissed off because I am the old guy walking around turning lights off in my home and I see every government building with lights ablaze and the collective "us" unable to flip the switch and save some bucks.

We need term limits and congress needs to live under the laws that they pass for the rest of us without being able to exempt themselves.

And congress should ride VFRs. :wink:

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
2 hours ago, michels280 said:

I paid $8600 out the door, excluding TTT, at the end of Sept. - 2014 VFR800 DLX in Red. I couldnt turn it down.

wow that's a great deal. which dealer was it? 

9 hours ago, michels280 said:

I paid $8600 out the door, excluding TTT, at the end of Sept. - 2014 VFR800 DLX in Red. I couldnt turn it down.

Thats really on the cheap and a great deal.  I'm in California but I checked a couple other states close by also and I selected the best deal I could find for my '14 Deluxe at $10,300 otd for it all.  I'm ok with the deal although maybe could have done better, not many incentives by Honda at the moment.

• Member Contributer

Good shopping. There is a std now at coleman's near me but it has some miles and seems like the dlx is the best way to go in my view.

Enjoy your new steed!

2 hours ago, michels280 said:

I got it in Cumberland Maryland, TimBrook Honda. I good drive from my house near DC, but worth it.

Was the bike new?  I've never seen pricing that low otd for a Deluxe.

• Member Contributer
On 1/2/2017 at 8:51 AM, michels280 said:

Sounds great if it's new.  Congrats. 

Though to be pedantic for a moment, it's not OTD unless your state doesn't require tax, title or tags...

19 hours ago, 14thumper said:

Was the bike new?  I've never seen pricing that low otd for a Deluxe.

Yea. It had 9 miles on it. I looked for about 3 months before I found it. And this was OTD, before TTT. I bought it in MD and live in VA. They mailed me the title and I paid the registration, taxes, and title, about another 350 or so. 

IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1249.JPG

Good work, you got a superb deal!  Taxes must be really low for you, it's about 9% where I live.  I think I paid $8,400 for the bike, $1k for setup and delivery (bs I know) and $750 for taxes plus $150 for registration.  It didn't matter much to me how they wrote it up I was only focused on total OTD pricing.  In Northern California where I live, the lowest was approx. $1,800 more OTD and I looked for ~3 months also.  Even in the LA area this was the best I could find among the dealers there.  But...nothing is cheap in California.

I have the same bike as you.

IMG_6003.JPG

• 3 months later...
On 11/5/2016 at 9:20 AM, Bent said:

Could it be a slow selling bike because it has NEVER been marketed?  People will buy ANYTHING if it's marketed.  Just look at this election about to come to an end....finally.  

Ok new here but how about the 2014 CTX1300 I bought end of last year for $7,999 when it was over priced at $15,999 in 2014 , they did not market the bike and still have a bunch being sold at half price and it was a one year wonder. The way honda does things I would never pay the full retail on a new bike, just wait a year or two and save a fortune.

I'm about to pull trigger on a 2014 VFR800 DLX for $8,499 which if I have done my research is about $4K off the price from 2014.

Archived