New to the game and need some advice

Hi all, 

.    So somehow i managed to trade two Dirtbike's for a 91 VFR750. This bike is clean! All original, 21,000 miles, came with all dealership ppw, and only two owners. The bike itself is flawless, garage kept its whole life and well serviced. I know I have a big score here and want to maintain and improve without hurting the look or value of the pretty thing as she sits. I'm interested in some quite mods to improve handeling, performance without taking away from the wow factor of this bike. I'm going to start with a exhaust not sure on weather I want to go with a slip on or full need help there.. also want to improve breaks and suspension. I have browsed quite a few forums and landed here because you guys seem to have the most knowledge. I appreciate any advise you guys can give me, and will post constant updates on the build good and bad. Thank you for your time

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond!

(Might as well use the stylish italic :-) )

Leave the bike for a little while to get used to her, but do check/setup the suspension (as good as the oem allows), check tyre pressure and fluids. Check the stator and voltage regulator (aka "the drill")

She might be just fine and if you do farkle, you will be recognising any change.

From them, the sky is the limit!

As leon just wrote - Ride her, give some time - don't just modify to modify

The bike is very good as it is - I have one similar, only diff. is mine has a Micron exhaust

looks very clean and orginal - treat her nice

• Member Contributer

Treestylist, welcome...
Very solid advice to leave it stock for a little while, especially if you've come off the dirt bikes, not saying you can't ride, but you will appreciate the mods you do do when you do them. As Dutchy said check the needed stuff...
Research exhausts, what I've read here is that not all are what they seem and a system with equal pipe length is the best route.
Forks may be springs and emulators set up by someone who knows their stuff and rear shock swap seems to bring the best results on handling...
Enjoy....what a find!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Beautiful bike, congratulations. While I respect the comments above regarding riding it as it is for a while, I'm a big fan of modifying the suspension even if you leave everything else stock and my experience is the VFR responds better to this than other Hondas I've owned. There are many options - try searching here, that's how I found what works for me.

Worth a look also:

http://www.racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Honda/VFR750 Interceptor/1990-91

Greetings - New to VFR and forum. I recently acquired a 1991 VFR. One owner, but came via another party so do not have direct access to past history. Bike is not quite as nice as Treestylist,... 70K+ miles. Did come with extra set of wheels and front float rotors (from 4th gen?), as well as a box of misc. air filters, oil filters, manuals gave some hope it was owned by responsible person. Also has a FOX rear shock, so thinking owner did have right idea in mind. Was a great deal, but had to buy - no ride. Had anticipated a complete go through. Had not anticipated bent fork tubes.

Content moved to suspension topic

Great luck on your find. Run it like it is. Drain fork oil / flush, fill with correct volume and weight. Start there. You can make some noticeable change just with minor viscosity change and volume.

10 hours ago, Helweg Denmark said:

As leon just wrote - Ride her, give some time - don't just modify to modify

The bike is very good as it is - I have one similar, only diff. is mine has a Micron exhaust

looks very clean and orginal - treat her nice

How does the micron sound? I'm looking for a deeper sound then the stock exhaust but I sure don't want to hurt the power. I'm very impressed with the bike as she sits, but I ride with a ton of people on new bikes. As o said I'm only makin  subtle changes, as I'm very impressed with her. I'm definitely going to do a rear shock and exhaust and will probably leave it at that. Just trying to find the best for my needs i.e. Many  Great back roads very  Windee  with room to get some speed. I need control at low and high speeds. I want the exhaust for all the bad drivers where I live if they can't here me they will try to kill me lol. But I need to stress I don't want to change the look of this beautiful bike. 

2 hours ago, RhodeMoto said:

Greetings - New to VFR and forum. I recently acquired a 1991 VFR. One owner, but came via another party so do not have direct access to past history. Bike is not quite as nice as Treestylist,... 70K+ miles. Did come with extra set of wheels and front float rotors (from 4th gen?), as well as a box of misc. air filters, oil filters, manuals gave some hope it was owned by responsible person. Also has a FOX rear shock, so thinking owner did have right idea in mind. Was a great deal, but had to buy - no ride. Had anticipated a complete go through. Had not anticipated bent fork tubes.

Responding to this thread as it is new and thought if some parties could help me it may help Tree man.

No intention hijacking thread,....

I have now read through many past forums on suspension and looking for sage advise. 

I have new tubes on order with Frank's - 

Have all new bushing, seals, head bearings.

Made a stem nut adjust tool so if anyone local needs to borrow can do.

Have head reassembled but trying to find an ounce spring scale to adjust to the Honda spec of 1-1.5kg pull at leg.

In tear down have discovered that this has RaceTech 1kg/mm springs with a preload made from a thin wall electrical conduit,...not to thrilled with that part.

These may be on the stiff side as rider weigh in at 165, no luggage?

It has RT compression gold valve with a set up for their "C33" stack - NO bleed hole?

Not clear if the rebound piston is stock or RT? It has 10 17mm dia. x .01 mm shim stack. - NO bleed hole.

Can someone explain what the bleed hole does as it seems to me that the top of rebound piston has a (by-pass) valve that would allow oil to be forced to the top side that can not go though the compression stack and therefore "Bleed"oil to the top side?? What would have been the result of this being used without the bleed holes? IT must have worked to some degree? I only rode it for a very short distance when loose head bearing (result of whatever happened to forks?) came to light. I did notice it seemed to dive badly on braking.

Have called RT to see if they could provide original info from owners name,..They have name in record but no spec's. They are nice but answers are cryptic at best. They suggest that I order a complete new shim set at $60+ and with that get a new "code" to get set up for me. Not unreasonable but think that this set up could be close to correct. I just want to verify the rebound stack - my understanding is that if the rebound is still stock then may not be adequate for the stronger springs and be overpowered on rebound.  What the logic is of the bleed holes and should I add these to both compression and rebound?

How is it that no one seems to have put together a spreadsheet of RT data so we can do are own calculations? Would love to hear from 3rd gen owner who have RT set up and any clues  of what works and what does not.

If this should be placed elsewhere (or new thread) on forum let me know?

Hijack thread. Fallowing as well. I'm all about any info I can get on my pretty bike. I do not have the education you guys do on parts I have a mechanic as a best friend that does all the heavy thinking for me. I'm just in it for the ride and injoyment of this wonderful machine

7 hours ago, veeferbkk said:

Beautiful bike, congratulations. While I respect the comments above regarding riding it as it is for a while, I'm a big fan of modifying the suspension even if you leave everything else stock and my experience is the VFR responds better to this than other Hondas I've owned. There are many options - try searching here, that's how I found what works for me.

Worth a look also:

http://www.racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Honda/VFR750 Interceptor/1990-91

Thank you for the great link!! I've read a lot about upgrading the rear shock to a new day ninja 14 or something of the type. Being it brings your rear height up almost an inch. But just not to sure what to go with. After riding the bike a few hundreds miles I've definitely noticed it's not nearly as peppy threw the corners as my CBR which of course is to be expected being 25 years old. But it's so much more fun to ride haha  I just want to improve a little here by bringing my rear end up to get a proper rake, and getting the exhaust to sound like I like.

6 hours ago, Treestylist said:

How does the micron sound? I'm looking for a deeper sound then the stock exhaust but I sure don't want to hurt the power. I'm very impressed with the bike as she sits, but I ride with a ton of people on new bikes. As o said I'm only makin  subtle changes, as I'm very impressed with her. I'm definitely going to do a rear shock and exhaust and will probably leave it at that. Just trying to find the best for my needs i.e. Many  Great back roads very  Windee  with room to get some speed. I need control at low and high speeds. I want the exhaust for all the bad drivers where I live if they can't here me they will try to kill me lol. But I need to stress I don't want to change the look of this beautiful bike. 

micron is a deep loud rumble and a nice loud roar when reving it up

I had my thoughts to when I bought it, but have'nt regret it

you've bought a Honda VFR, a finished bike that is ready to ride, even it's 25 years old

other make bikes that need to be modified to run that well

cheers

• Member Contributer

It's nice that you plan to be a good steward of a rare and nearly pristine find.  She's a beauty!  You even have the seat cowl and sidestand fairing - themselves a find.   If you can't find a slipon to your liking, it might be possible to pick up another stock exhaust and gut it.  Not sure if anyone's tried it - it's been done on 6th gens in a number of ways.   Keeps the OEM look but adds the deep V8 rumble owners are looking for.  There's one on ebay now for $30. 

Nice find.
You can get a decent shock then get the forks re-sprung & revalved; it'll transform the handling. Your next port of call should be upgrading the front brakes, as they'll be pretty poor compared to modern stuff. There are caliper conversions you can do, if you search you will find.
Exhausts can be made up, or sometimes you can find a good used slip-on.

I've had mine about 23 years now and done 70,000 miles. It'll be good for another 25 years of life and the same amount of mileage all over again. They don't make 'em like that any more.

Great bikes - even better when updated.

DSC_7375_zpsaagxasmf.jpg

On 10/31/2016 at 7:13 PM, Cogswell said:

It's nice that you plan to be a good steward of a rare and nearly pristine find.  She's a beauty!  You even have the seat cowl and sidestand fairing - themselves a find.   If you can't find a slipon to your liking, it might be possible to pick up another stock exhaust and gut it.  Not sure if anyone's tried it - it's been done on 6th gens in a number of ways.   Keeps the OEM look but adds the deep V8 rumble owners are looking for.  There's one on ebay now for $30. 

Probable gonna go with a slip on and tuck it behind the passenger foot peg. Looks a lot cleaner and shows off the wheel.. just gotta find the right one

13 hours ago, TheStig said:

Nice find.
You can get a decent shock then get the forks re-sprung & revalved; it'll transform the handling. Your next port of call should be upgrading the front brakes, as they'll be pretty poor compared to modern stuff. There are caliper conversions you can do, if you search you will find.
Exhausts can be made up, or sometimes you can find a good used slip-on.

I've had mine about 23 years now and done 70,000 miles. It'll be good for another 25 years of life and the same amount of mileage all over again. They don't make 'em like that any more.

Great bikes - even better when updated.

DSC_7375_zpsaagxasmf.jpg

Is that your bike? What caliper conversion is that? Looks mean

Archived