NEVER STOP LEARNING

Where in the US?  We still have road tests in NY.  (Although, I'll admit there isn't much to it.)

Louisiana. I could be wrong, sleep deprivation is hell on my memory, but I thought it was similar in a lot of states.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Regarding the Japanese VFR800's I have a plastic model of that machine awaiting construction. 

And on a side note:

I could really use some of those crash bars; I still drop the machine occasionally while trying to do very slow turns with my large loaded hard bags. 

• Member Contributer

The Winston Salem PD uses Kawi Concours 1400 and Charlotte was using the BMW R1200RTP.  They sold the fleet a few years ago and bought new ones, I think. 

I'm surprised they don't use CB650s or the Versys 650 LT to be quite honest.  They could hire a full-time maintenance man to keep up the bikes for the cost of one of those Harleys and still have lots of money left over.  Perhaps pay the officers more, too.

• Member Contributer

Huntington Beach PD use Honda ST-1300s from what I have seen. Might have some HDs too for parade use.

• Member Contributer
Latvian mc cops ride FJR's and Beemers...

IMAG4809_2_1.jpg

IMAG4811_1.jpg

Hard way to find out. Could you not have just asked them instead?

C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even the Police Chaplin, Monsignor Sal rides. (and to be different, on a FXRTP)

Whenever I see him, the conversation goes like this:

Me: Father Sal!

Sal: It's Monsignor.

Me: Sorry, I forgot you were promoted.....but anyway, you look dashing today.

Sal: Bless you my child.........

msgn sal.jpg

• Member Contributer

Timmy, great thread, thanks for all the useful info, video and pics. Keep it coming!

Maybe you can stick a little HRC sticker on your sidecar for the inauguration parade this winter so we can ID our VFRD member. Or just a big wheelie? 

man, I came across this.  The keyhole gave me fits for the first few days. So frustrating to make mistakes on attempt 564, 565, 566.........I remember how happy I was to make it to twice in a row. Then I took a break. Then I fell off the bike. Then I threw my gloves. Then I tried again and the instructor told me I looked like I was shitting out a motorcycle. He was the friendly one too.  Also, he is doing it "left". I found this way to be easier, but it really doesn't matter because we were required it do it both ways during the test.

....and here, I found one that is virtually identical to the course I did.  The final exam was you got 5 attempts to make 4 good runs.  Tap cone=1 added second, knock cone down=2 seconds, foot down=3 seconds and drop bike=DQ. I missed my first run by 3 seconds, so I had to do 4 good ones in a row, 5 total. Boy was I tired at the end.

• Member Contributer

These are really good examples of look where you want to go, not where you're going.:wink:

• Member Contributer
57 minutes ago, Rsparky said:

So , at these low speeds are you guys countersteering or just turning the bars? 

You are counter balancing. Shifting your weight far outside the turn and turning into the turn.

1 hour ago, Rsparky said:

So , at these low speeds are you guys countersteering or just turning the bars? 

Due to the really wide bars that are at full lock to either side, your position is sorta dictated anyway.  Some leaned out more than others. I kind stayed put to simplify it a bit.

but it only does what you tell it to do:

3 minutes ago, timmythecop said:

Due to the really wide bars that are at full lock to either side, your position is sorta dictated anyway.  Some leaned out more than others. I kind stayed put to simplify it a bit.

but it only does what you tell it to do:

So to clarify, the weight shift causes the bike to lean to counter balance, then you push the inside more? 

I've taken the msf, I swear. Just curious the methods taught by the pros. 

To initiate a turn in these low-ish speed situations  step  1 is...?

Archived