• Member Contributer
On 11/22/2016 at 6:50 PM, 2k1GoneWild said:

Yup so the means you don't know anything about diesel and if you knew just a little bit about diesel you'd know a lot more about gas, this little VFR is cake to tune

The existence of the 2001 Dodge Ram Diesel Dually is not in doubt.

It's the 600hp bit that is at issue.

The 5.9L Cummins inline 6 that came in your truck is spec'd at 245 hp and 505 lb/ft.

Granted, you may have replaced that engine with a different one.

Or perhaps Black Widow make a performance header for your truck that unleashes the factory power...

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
Few questions, now that we confirmed that he is using a 1998/99 euro ecu in a 2001 us vfr. Do the 98/99 euro ecu's use HISS and if so how is his bike running? 1998/99 do not have o2 sensors, so why is he trying to run o2 eliminators? Are these ECU's even interchangeable?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Maybe that's why we're not seeing a dyno run...still trying to fire it up!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:34 PM, 2k1GoneWild said:

As per email from the director of Black Widow, the down pipes are neither marketed or categorized as "performance headers" i.e. "Racing" they do "out perform@ the OEM mild steel headers because being fabricated from 304 Staimless Steel, will not build up accumulations from corrosion, so the inside of the pipes are in fact smoother, less restrictive and pefectly 100% suited and exceed requirements for unleashing the 100 % of the factory power?

Just notice this conversation  and in particular this comment, It brought a smile to my face.

Black Widow exhausts  were formerly known as Sandy Bike Spares  purveyor of  replacement stainless steel systems said to be superior to factory.  Whilst in one respect they were being made of stainless instead of mild steel.  They most certainly were NOT top quality or tested to the same extent of say a unit like MOTAD, in fact compared side by side the did look a bit shabby. I digressing a bit. 

Any how, said SBS  exhaust system on a cbr600 robbed the bike of its midrange and left it gutless. Google and see the comments on them.  The vfr seemed to have some favourable and st1100 mixed comments.   Basically they were cheap Chinese copies.  There was a thread where someone dyno the exhausts and put up the relevant results,  sadly I cant find it as it was a good few years ago.  Ill let you draw your own conclusions.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, fink said:

Ill let you draw your own conclusions.

Unfortunately, we can guess what one of them will be. :blink:

Nothing has been objectively confirmed. It's just this guy's word.

It would be nice if we stopped speaking of German spec ECUs as that was shown to be a misnomer by JZH.

At the most it is a European model.

In as much as compatibility between superseded models, it certainly sounds doubtful given the changes made from the 98/99 to the 00/01 model. Even from one continent to another they can be quite incompatible and at the least require studying the wiring diagram... Many VFRD veterans will remember the modifications required to make a US 6th gen ECU work on my Euro model. The former requires two 12V power supply inputs whereas the latter only has one.

I'm calling the OP's butt a bluff and would hazard a guess it is the only thing wide open and not his throttle.

Still, if he comes up with photographic and dynographic proof I will eat my words.

Like sands through the hourglass, so too are the days of unleashing factory power...

• Member Contributer

He has been repeatedly asked for pictures, surprisingly none have been forthcoming.

Agree about his butt dyno being wide open though, certainly he is producing a lot of fecal matter. 

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Sweeper said:

Crap! Now I've participated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL!  We all succumb eventually . . .

Just notice this conversation  and in particular this comment, It brought a smile to my face.

Black Widow exhausts  were formerly known as Sandy Bike Spares  purveyor of  replacement stainless steel systems said to be superior to factory.  Whilst in one respect they were being made of stainless instead of mild steel.  They most certainly were NOT top quality or tested to the same extent of say a unit like MOTAD, in fact compared side by side the did look a bit shabby. I digressing a bit. 
Any how, said SBS  exhaust system on a cbr600 robbed the bike of its midrange and left it gutless. Google and see the comments on them.  The vfr seemed to have some favourable and st1100 mixed comments.   Basically they were cheap Chinese copies.  There was a thread where someone dyno the exhausts and put up the relevant results,  sadly I cant find it as it was a good few years ago.  Ill let you draw your own conclusions.

So you're saying that's representative of all Black Widow exhausts? Obviously, some are made better than others and his is a "factory freak," something like the old Z06s that would sometimes come with 10-15 HP more than average. His little brother sat on the back with a stopwatch and it clearly pulls harder through the gears with the BW, so it has to be better.

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, ggathagan said:

The existence of the 2001 Dodge Ram Diesel Dually is not in doubt.

It's the 600hp bit that is at issue.

The 5.9L Cummins inline 6 that came in your truck is spec'd at 245 hp and 505 lb/ft.

Granted, you may have replaced that engine with a different one.

Or perhaps Black Widow make a performance header for your truck that unleashes the factory power...

Original long block but has all the mods to build 600 hp including alcohol injection, industrial injection  injectors and silver bullet turbo, air dog fuel pump, plus some other goodies, it took me 10 years to get it up to that power level, little bit at a time. It's an awesome truck ! Call up Thoroughbred Diesel and talk to JT my truck is well known in the community, it can bury the 120 mph speedometer and redline in 5th gear, that's what it's really all about ?

IMG_4129.JPG

IMG_3402.JPG

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

Aw, yeah. Look at how tight those ratchet straps are trying to contain that thing. 110 HP all day long, maybe even 112.

Latest update, totally rebuilt the fork forks with DMr cartiidges, Jamie is #1 with product and support, awesome first test ride, I took it up to 140 mph, feels incredible ! Here's picture of the springs, longer are what was in bike, the DMr design is much more responsive using the shorter springs and precuse controlled dampening, all I can say is pay very close attention to installation instructions and really learn the fork assembly and dis-assembly , we are very fortunate to have somebody like Jamie doing the real work ! Today I am supposed to get my RDMOTO DHL short lever delivery from Czechoslovakia ! More later ?

IMG_4234.JPG

IMG_4235.JPG

IMG_4239.JPG

IMG_4219.JPG

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, timmythecop said:

Here I unleashed 15 Horse Power. 

+1 old skool hp...

For a moment I thought you Timmy had come to Utrecht and never told me.....

IMAG5936.jpg

:-)

SMH  One needs to take into account the 5% speed-o error here with stock gearing,  so you where doing 133 give or take.  Done it many times.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, RVFR said:

SMH  One needs to take into account the 5% speed-o error here with stock gearing,  so you where doing 133 give or take.  Done it many times.

Yeah, but you weren't doing with newly unleashed factory power! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I just retrieved some fiiles from a backup of my old PC, one of which was the original 4 dyno runs I did.

Run #

1. No snorkel, no flapper, K&N filter, motad headers, Delkevic can = 98hp.

2. As above plus PC3 Custom map1 = 101hp. (not much power gain, but much smoother throughout the rev range)

3. As above plus my own spec cams, reduced length intake velocity stacks & can moved to high mount = 102hp.

4. As above plus PC3 Custom map2 = 107hp.

dyno-runs-1-4.jpg

5. As above plus Big airbox mod & Rapid Bike Racing module self mapped via narrow band, + ignition advance = 112hp.

6. As above, plus TBR exhaust headers & my Yoshi Style intake stacks, fueling set manually from additional wideband sensor = 118hp.

7. As above (Not shown), Rapid Bike Racing rev limit raised to 12,500rpm, MTB fuel tuning added = 120hp.

dyno-May-2015.jpg

YHPMV

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

I just retrieved some fiiles from a backup of my old PC, one of which was the original 4 dyno runs I did.

Run #

1. No snorkel, no flapper, K&N filter, motad headers, Delkevic can = 98hp.

2. As above plus PC3 Custom map1 = 101hp. (not much power gain, but much smoother throughout the rev range)

3. As above plus my own spec cams, reduced length intake velocity stacks & can moved to high mount = 102hp.

4. As above plus PC3 Custom map2 = 107hp.

dyno-runs-1-4.jpg

5. As above plus Big airbox mod & Rapid Bike Racing module self mapped via narrow band, + ignition advance = 112hp.

6. As above, plus TBR exhaust headers & my Yoshi Style intake stacks, fueling set manually from additional wideband sensor = 118hp.

7. As above (Not shown), Rapid Bike Racing rev limit raised to 12,500rpm, MTB fuel tuning added = 120hp.

dyno-May-2015.jpg

YHPMV

This is good information however with regards to the airbox and Dyno testing there is the absence of the "force" factor of air being driven into the airbox of a motorcycle ascending up to 150 mph, when Dyno testing the bike is strapped down only with a static fan to assist in cooling the engine. The factory programmed ECU G may have the same effects of the rapid bike to unleash power. That being said one issue with these Dyno results is there is always a multitude of changes being tested, so it's impossible to determine what any particular mod might be contributing to the overall results, but again that being said, Mohawk nonetheless has the best VFR Dyno data available, I can see where my VFR is up at the greater than 110 whp level but less than 120, I'm speculating I'm in the mid-teens. I just finished removing the o2 sensors and installing the o2 elimination plus added the gear indicator, so I next am going to change out PC3 fuel map and go for a test ride ?

As Mohawk has done and the OP is not doing, unless you document with a dyno graphic following each modification separately, one by one, you will never know which factor contributed to any improvement, or detriment as the case may be.

No butt-o-meter is capable of detecting less than an approximate 15-20% difference at best. Human perception is limited in this way. And that is in reference to something extremely simple like holding two similar objects, one in each hand, and attempting to tell if one is heavier or lighter than the other. Picking up on a few horse power here or there on a motorcycle? Fagedaboudit!!

I doubt you'll manage that 15-20% increase that Mohawk achieved without going anywhere near to the trouble he did. Tricky to achieve such steep gains with such few pains.

Finally static dyno runs are the standard used to compare power output on motorcycles. Since when did you hear or read of a manufacturer stating power figures of bikes on the move? So there's little point waffling on about air pressure (forced air) created when the bike is mobile... of course it is an influencing factor but it isn't particularly useful for the task at hand of proving your hypothesis.

The data is only useful when all other factors are considered equal, dynamic runs would never achieve this.

Archived