Cold Storage

XRM

Guys and gals,

Storing an 8th gen in northern Montana for the winter, any advice with regards to the possible low temperatures? 

Have been running non-ethanol fuel and bought some stabiliser.  Storing in a garage without heat.

Any issues with running the factory anti-freeze coolant?

thanks

When I used to store my bikes in an unheated garage I'd do the following:

change oil, put in fuel stabilizer, get the bike off the ground to keep the tires from developing flat spots, throw on a cover and wait for spring. If you have carbs, drain them. Coolant should be fine and changed at regular maintenance intervals. Have a good winter!

change oil, put in fuel stabilizer, get the bike off the ground to keep the tires from developing flat spots, throw on a cover and wait for spring. If you have carbs, drain them. Coolant should be fine and changed at regular maintenance intervals. Have a good winter!

I also remove the battery and put it on a trickle charger. Run the bike for about 5-10 minutes once a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, XRM said:

Guys and gals,

Storing an 8th gen in northern Montana for the winter, any advice with regards to the possible low temperatures? 

Have been running non-ethanol fuel and bought some stabiliser.  Storing in a garage without heat.

Any issues with running the factory anti-freeze coolant?

thanks

Factory coolant should be fine to -32F.  How cold does it get there? 

I would put a tender on the battery, otherwise, bring it inside so it doesn't freeze.

3 hours ago, superfunkomatic said:

Thanks mate, appreciate the advice

Being an Aussie from Perth where it never gets to freezing, I've never had to worry about anti-freeze.  The last Christmas I spent in north west Montana visiting the out laws "in laws" It was cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey, never been so cold in my life!

That being said it was -24 and apparently I hear it's very possible to get down to the minus thirties!

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, XRM said:

Being an Aussie from Perth where it never gets to freezing, I've never had to worry about anti-freeze.  The last Christmas I spent in north west Montana visiting the out laws "in laws" It was cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey, never been so cold in my life!

That being said it was -24 and apparently I hear it's very possible to get down to the minus thirties!

Is the garage attached to the house?  If it is, it will not get quite as cold.  I would get an antifreeze tester and double check what temp the antifreeze is good for. 

I had a 50/50 mix in my truck, good for -32F.  Visited my parents in Saranac Lake, NY one Christmas and spent the better part of Christmas day thawing out the motor.  It was close to -36F and the antifreeze turned to slush and split a heater hose. 

My bikes are happy through British winters down to -7 Celcius. One thing I will say though is don't take the advice to 'fire it up once a month'. That just encourages the development of internal condensation, you can't run it up long and hot enough to do any benefit just sat revving it for ten minutes. Either take it out or leave it alone. You'll get at least half a dozen that will jump in and say 'I've always done it and never had a problem', but trust me it's not the right thing to do.

My bikes are happy through British winters down to -7 Celcius. One thing I will say though is don't take the advice to 'fire it up once a month'. That just encourages the development of internal condensation, you can't run it up long and hot enough to do any benefit just sat revving it for ten minutes. Either take it out or leave it alone. You'll get at least half a dozen that will jump in and say 'I've always done it and never had a problem', but trust me it's not the right thing to do.

Oh I didn't know that. Hope I didn't do a lot of damage to my last bike... :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, adsrox0r said:

One thing I will say though is don't take the advice to 'fire it up once a month'. That just encourages the development of internal condensation, you can't run it up long and hot enough to do any benefit just sat revving it for ten minutes.

I'm in agreement here.  I have been storing vehicles during the winter, (~6 months), since 1979.  I change the oil, put a tender on the battery, park them and walk away.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Conedodger said:

I'm in agreement here.  I have been storing vehicles during the winter, (~6 months), since 1979.  I change the oil, put a tender on the battery, park them and walk away.

+1  I also never pull the battery.  That's what I have the battery tender leads for.

• Member Contributer

As far as storing in Montana, you may see lower temperatures than the freezing point of your coolant/water mix.  I'm not sure what the factory Honda mixture is, but a cheap densitometer should be able to guestimate your water:ethylene glycol ratio. They are available at virtually every auto parts store in the country.  Here is the freezing point chart:

Image result for antifreeze freezing point chart

Remember that if you adjust for freezing point depression that you might reduce your boiling point elevation.  Antifreeze is also a less efficient coolant than pure water.

22 hours ago, adsrox0r said:

Thanks mate!  Found some storage with a little heat, and have invested I. A battery tender.  Service and new tyres next April, cannot wait...!

Archived