bikes sold

• Member Contributer

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on bikes issues. I just feel a little pressured, trying to sell a home, move out of state, and dealing with the bike.

IMG_0509.JPG

20160227_155811 (2).jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice looking bike.  I'd have a hard time letting that go.   If you have some contact cleaner for electronics, try spraying some around the perimeter of the kill switch on the right clipon and then rock the switch back and forth.  With age the contacts can oxidize and you get a no-start.  Maybe pull the wire(s) from the starter relay and related fuse and do the same.  With just 10,000 miles I can't imagine that the issue is mechanical. 

13 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

Nice looking bike.  I'd have a hard time letting that go.   If you have some contact cleaner for electronics, try spraying some around the perimeter of the kill switch on the right clipon and then rock the switch back and forth.  With age the contacts can oxidize and you get a no-start.  Maybe pull the wire(s) from the starter relay and related fuse and do the same.  With just 10,000 miles I can't imagine that the issue is mechanical. 

You'll get a lot better price if it's running and all good than if it has an unknown no start problem.

Yep yep, check all the switches that could hold up starting. Easy enough to check them with a multimeter, or if it isn't starting next time try jumping the contacts on them one at a time until starts and then you'll know what the issues is.

Why are you selling it if we may ask? Tough to find one much nicer and better setup than this one.

• Member Contributer

I'm selling because our house is for sale. We are moving from Georgia, where I have a carport and a basement where I can store and work on the bike. Our place is Colorado only has a carport, it's a high rise, so working on the bike will be against the HOA's. 

I'm not familiar with checking electrical issues and using a multimeter, so that's one obstacle I have to overcome. I am just guessing, but I don't think the problem is electrical. I don't ever use the kill switch, I only use the key to turn the bike on and off. 

I guess or assumption that the problem is stemming from the starter clutch is the bike sat for a couple years before I got it. I flushed all the fluids, but maybe the springs in the clutch are a little gummy? We just had our first few cold mornings, and that's when the problem started. I put the bike in the basement last night, went to start it this morning, and it started without a problem, just fired right up.

So I'm hoping someone on here has dealt with the something like this before. I would prefer to fix it and sell it for a better price, but right now, with a wife, realtor and house stager telling me a motorcycle in the basement, being worked on, is not a selling point, I'm willing to let it go for a lot less.

• Member Contributer

Well I tried starting the bike today. Initially it wouldn't turn over. The battery is charged. I put it in gear, just pushed it and let out the clutch to give the engine a bump. I pushed the start button and it fired right up. My guess is the still starter clutch.

I still think it's electrical - likely a high resistance switch that needs cleaning - start switch, kill switch, clean & check battery connections, etc. Check that stuff before you sell it too cheap. You don't have starter clutch symptoms.

Cheers,

Glenn

Archived