Clatter/Rattle from engine (6Th Gen VTEC)

Woodie

• Member Contributer

I am a bit gutted as I have done less than a 1000 miles in this bike and all of a sudden it has developed a god awful clatter from the engine. It seems to come from the front cylinder, engine will run but doesn't seem to have any power. I only rode it a few hundred yards from the café to the office. I'd just covered my usual 35 mile commute to work and it had ran fine up until then.

I know it is a vague description but I was hoping someone could tell me if there are known problems: I.E. failing Cam Chain tensioners, .

As I said I am gutted as I bought this on the back of the "bullet proof Honda engine" reputation. If the engine is cattled I might just torch it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
1 hour ago, spud786 said:

if you have a power loss, then its not the typical tensioner noise

while the cct bodies can rattle, there is no power loss associated

TBH, I was so shocked at the racket I rode it gingerly back to my office. I have been out since and it revs clean just noisy. I still may get it recovered just to be on the safe side.

• Member Contributer
34 minutes ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

CCT rattle plus placebo power loss

Thread/

Psssst.... be kind to a newbie.. what does 'Thread/' mean? :unsure:

1 hour ago, Woodie said:

TBH, I was so shocked at the racket I rode it gingerly back to my office. I have been out since and it revs clean just noisy. I still may get it recovered just to be on the safe side.

I think you are being too abrupt at judging your VFR.

Replace the Front CCT immediately.  Don't ride it around any more because if you continue to, it WILL break something inside your engine!  Don't attempt to diagnose anything at this point and do this FIRST before you ride the bike or even start the bike.

Replacing the front CCT, requires you to remove the Throttle Body, which isn't hard to do but does require lifting tank way out of the way, removing the air box and disconnecting all hoses running into it, and maybe even drain the coolant but not sure about this last part.  One CCT is about US$100.

I have replaced the CCT's at 30k miles and again at 60k miles. Its a fairly simple job. The rear only takes a few minutes and the front only takes a few hours. You do not need to remove the throttle bodies, (unless you work for a dealer and you're milking the clock). Do some research, watch some youtube videos and read some how to's. A factory service manual could even be a good idea, (you can down load them on this forum). 

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ROTATE THE ENGINE WHATSOEVER WHILE INSTALLING THE NEW CCT'S.

Steady hands and proper tools are key to the front cct change without removing the throttle bodies.

I think this was the post I followed recently.

In result I found this http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/hondaofcrofton/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hondamc&a=465&b=10&c=0&d=2002 VFR800 INTERCEPTOR CAM CHAIN ASSY W/ TENSIONER

And e-mailed to masoncityhonda@gmail.com to get both CCTs with gaskets, bolts and caps (parts # 6, 7, 8, 12, 17 from the link above) for little over 160$. Shipment to DC took some 3 days, IIRC.

Changed just the rear one and my noises disappeared :). Looks like PO has changed the front one as that is supposed to get bad first.

• Member Contributer

Changing the CCT's is actually quiet easy. This is the guide from VFRD I used to do both my front and rear ones. No need to remove the throttle bodies at all. You only need long needle nose pliers and a deep socket (8mm if I recall). Good idea to have a magnetic parts pickup tool to lift the bolt out. Use new sealing washers and gaskets as recommended in the manual. Good idea to mark the hoses removed from the airbox to make reinstall a snap. While you have the airbox off it is a great opportunity to check your vacume hoses for cracks and leaks as well as to spray a bit of lubricant on you linkages. All in all will take about 2 hours or so. 

• Member Contributer
  1. Cheers guys, I have removed the Throttle bodies, wish I hadn't! how complex is that. AH well, all good experience. and it means I can replace the rotten inlet rubber clamps. One had snapped and at least three aren't far off. I've already ordered those.
  2. I drained the oil... Almost 4 litres (don't ask what that is in Quarts!) of black treacle ! not good, should be just over 3....
  3. The water expansion bottle was empty! defintely not last week when I had the l/hand side panel off. 
  4. CCT's will be replaced as I've got it apart this far.
  5. There was milky sludge in the breather for the air box. and a film of what smelt like fuel.

I think this may be more than just the CCT's. I am now looking at the oil pump and water pump! when I find where they are. I am lucky to have other bikes to use while I do this but I will get to the bottom of this.

I am not sure if this has had a hard llife but it's only clocked 22K miles! but I am finding so many rusty brackets, odd, mismatched and missing bolts. I may have to put some effort into this.

Bah Humbug.

• Member Contributer

Replaced CCT just got to get it back together now.

Trouble is if it the Oil pump the numpty previous owner has botched the crash bungs on and the R/h one won't come away so I can't get the side panel. I may have to cut it away.

This cheap runabout for the winter is becoming somewhat troublesome.

I'll crack it.

or sell it...

or burn it....

• Member Contributer

A friend of mine has a used engine for sale which might be a faster and safer option. You may be able to find one lying around for cheap. Only thing is shipping...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

BC to UK.... hmmmm... I may look for one over here LOL. As it is I am in no rush as I have other bikes.

Just frustrated that something so highly lauded as the bees-Knees of reliability has let me down so soon. I'm sure like all my projects once I have fixed it I'll get many miles of enjoyment out of it. I kept an 20year old Suzuki running for 80-90,000 miles so I'm sure I can at least hit the 100,000 mile mark on this.

more up dates later ( when I work out where all the plugs, pipes and doo-dads go on the air-box. :mad:)

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Woodie said:

Just frustrated that something so highly lauded as the bees-Knees of reliability has let me down so soon.

I would be frustrated, too. I'm betting the issue came about due to inattentive maintenance more than anything, which you personally couldn't have really done anything about. I'm sure you'll get it fixed up and treat her right!

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Woodie said:

BC to UK.... hmmmm... I may look for one over here LOL. As it is I am in no rush as I have other bikes.

Just frustrated that something so highly lauded as the bees-Knees of reliability has let me down so soon. I'm sure like all my projects once I have fixed it I'll get many miles of enjoyment out of it. I kept an 20year old Suzuki running for 80-90,000 miles so I'm sure I can at least hit the 100,000 mile mark on this.

more up dates later ( when I work out where all the plugs, pipes and doo-dads go on the air-box. :mad:)

M8, don't blame the bike, blame the previous owner.

Mine's done 72k with nary an issue.

Sounds like you are being methodical and persistent so carry on and you should get to the bottom of it.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Skids said:

M8, don't blame the bike, blame the previous owner.

Mine's done 72k with nary an issue.

Sounds like you are being methodical and persistent so carry on and you should get to the bottom of it.

Gareth, as I say I'm just frustrated. I wanted a bike I could ride and forget. I know you and others have had high mileages out of them. I will get to the bottom of it and fix and make it shiny. . .

and reliable.

and on budget...

On 10/22/2016 at 2:22 PM, Woodie said:
  1. Cheers guys, I have removed the Throttle bodies, wish I hadn't! how complex is that. AH well, all good experience. and it means I can replace the rotten inlet rubber clamps. One had snapped and at least three aren't far off. I've already ordered those.
  2. I drained the oil... Almost 4 litres (don't ask what that is in Quarts!) of black treacle ! not good, should be just over 3....
  3. The water expansion bottle was empty! defintely not last week when I had the l/hand side panel off. 
  4. CCT's will be replaced as I've got it apart this far.
  5. There was milky sludge in the breather for the air box. and a film of what smelt like fuel.

I think this may be more than just the CCT's. I am now looking at the oil pump and water pump! when I find where they are. I am lucky to have other bikes to use while I do this but I will get to the bottom of this.

I am not sure if this has had a hard llife but it's only clocked 22K miles! but I am finding so many rusty brackets, odd, mismatched and missing bolts. I may have to put some effort into this.

Bah Humbug.

I think you are way over thinking things and making it a lot harder than it needs to be. (i.e. throttle bodies don't need to come off)

The milky sludge is more than likely just oil vapor and condensation mixed together.

Its in the air box, everything is going to smell like fuel.

22 hours ago, Woodie said:

Replaced CCT just got to get it back together now.

Trouble is if it the Oil pump the numpty previous owner has botched the crash bungs on and the R/h one won't come away so I can't get the side panel. I may have to cut it away.

This cheap runabout for the winter is becoming somewhat troublesome.

I'll crack it.

or sell it...

or burn it....

Again, I think you are over doing it.

More than likely just a bike whose previous owner did no maintenance, so it just needs a basic tune up and new cct's. I seriously would not be fooling around with the oil/water pump etc. My plan of attack would have been flushing all fluids a few times (coolant/oil/gas/brake/clutch), new spark plugs/ air filter/ fuel filter, ultra sonic cleaning on the injectors and a starter valve synchronization.  But now since you have the throttle bodies off, you might as well throw new vacuum lines and throttle body boots in there as well.

I kinda agree, but you never know.. It is possible to ruin even Honda's engine with improper care (or not). 

I would measure the compression in cylinders and try to locate the origin of sound with smth like this  https://goo.gl/lP5L56 (well, you can't do that now, if it's not running). And then see if I still feel like cracking the engine.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

Again, I think you are over doing it.

More than likely just a bike whose previous owner did no maintenance, so it just needs a basic tune up and new cct's. I seriously would not be fooling around with the oil/water pump etc. My plan of attack would have been flushing all fluids a few times (coolant/oil/gas/brake/clutch), new spark plugs/ air filter/ fuel filter, ultra sonic cleaning on the injectors and a starter valve synchronization.  But now since you have the throttle bodies off, you might as well throw new vacuum lines and throttle body boots in there as well.

Maybe I am overthinking but I am preparing for worst case scenario. Starter Valve Synchro? I may have to google that.

Throttle body boots were good, not gone hard or cracked but the clamps were cattled and I replaced 3 of them. Never having worked on one of these bikes it is a baptism of fire but I will simply take it one rattle at a time. I am not in a rush as I have other bikes to ride so I am taking my time and learning about it as I go along.

Once this is sorted, the whole bike will get a darned good service, (all the fluids as you suggest,) I have already serviced the front forks, reconditioned the lowers and flushed and changed the fork oil. If I can find out how to service the Rear shock I'll do that too.

Starter valve synchronization is throttle body balancing. Why do you think the engine noise is anything more than just CCT's? To service the rear shock, you can send it to DaughertyMotorsports.com

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Archived