Storm shadow accident

StormShadow2

About 5am on sunday riding out of my little town. Doing 60 in 80 zone because i knew roos were on this road. Split second about 2 meters infront of me bolting out from the left. It was going to hit me. I think i went for the brakes and it hit the front left of my bike. Low sided it. Next thing i know im laying on the road in pain unable to move. Knowing its dark and on a country road i stood up. Walked to the bike in a ditch. Tried to pick it up and collapsed on the ground next to it i dont know how long it took but i heard a car i tried to put a hand up a guy stopped. Helped me up. Helped me plick the bike up. Another woman stopped and said she would drive me home. She woke my wife up. And i was bleeding from my hands. She took my jacket off and i felt my collar bone sticking up. So she called an ambulance for me. Was unable ro get up so they dosed me up with morphine. Drove to hospital broken collar bone in 3 places busted ribs. Lots if pain bruises. Cant move much cant breath much. Day 2 in hospital surgon says my bones lined up so probably wont need screws and plates.

14523013_1175139015858932_75938461709188

14591644_1175139029192264_7158699769356914520323_1175139052525595_4844762728373814494700_1175139069192260_92985753545061

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Ever present danger...have to say it's why I sold my first VF so long ago, a friend wiped out, just ankle stuff, but I've missed so many years of riding. We almost feel it too its so fresh.
Speedy recovery.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear of your accident,suprised they didn't call an ambulance to the scene right away, glad you aren't hurt too bad and  I wish you a speedy recovery, must be sickening too to look at the bike but that can be repaired,those gloves don't have knuckle protectors, all depends how you land though no matter what gear you are wearing,keep us posted on your recovery,all the best.

• Member Contributer

Condolences for your mishap. What a huge drag. It looks like your gear served you reasonably well. The gloves saved you some (but not all) skin before giving up, and the full-face helmet definitely did its job. Good on you for having both. Thank you for sharing your story. A speedy recovery to you.

• Member Contributer

Although you didn't come out totally unscathed, it looks like your helmet sure took a good brunt of your crash and probably saved you from much worse. Too bad the gloves didn't do better. Regardless, this is why I ride ATGATT. You never know what's around the corner or going to cross your path. Even if the gear just curbs the inevitable, it's still worth wearing IMO.

Hope you heal up quickly and are able to get back on the horse soon.

• Member Contributer

That is rotten luck. 

Damned annoying that wet weather gloves don't offer decent protection. I'd be tempted to write Dainese and complain.

Colloarbone injuries can dog you for ages. Hopefully, you will be in the pink in no time.

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear about your crash. Animals in the roadway are a huge danger. Sometimes there is nothing you can do avoid them. Hope you heal fast and congrats for ATGATT. You will ride again I hope.

Regarding gloves, I used to wear non-armored gloves. After surviving a freeway deer crash and seeing my gloves scraped but without damage I switched to Knox Recon armored gloves. I have not tested them yet but the do give one a sense of security. Here is a link detailing all the great features: (I found this glove for sale at $99.)

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

Sorry to hear about your crash. Animals in the roadway are a huge danger. Sometimes there is nothing you can do avoid them. Hope you heal fast and congrats for ATGATT. You will ride again I hope.

Regarding gloves, I used to wear non-armored gloves. After surviving a freeway deer crash and seeing my gloves scraped but without damage I switched to Knox Recon armored gloves. I have not tested them yet but the do give one a sense of security. Here is a link detailing all the great features: (I found this glove for sale at $99.)

I'm a little disappointed in Knox lately. Some of their latest glove offerings have been lack luster AND they have not continued making or have a replacement for the Recon or the glove I have and LOVE, the Biomech!

Cortech does have a few that incorporate Knox SPS and are pretty decent gloves in their own right.

Sorry for the short hi-jack...

• Member Contributer

SS2, sorry to hear of your crash.  That totally sucks.  Not only the injuries, but going to the garage to see your pride and joy scraped up.  It sounds like you're on the mend though, which is good.  The bike also looks to be repairable which I hope you do. 

Maybe one bit of consolation is that Kanagroo skin is a very good material for motorcycle leathers and gloves, so maybe get some satisfaction from 'em with some new gear, literally from a piece of their hide!

Please post updates on your progress.  Best for a quick and full recovery! 

Fuck man damn roos are killers, glad you're ok thought man, and the bike looks in pretty good shape so once you are all healed up you can worry about the bike.

b8e911194c2f9da98f751b7a363f0f74.jpg

Gloves are rrp 180. I chose these as i wanted thin warm and water proof. I know it didnt have knuckle guard but seemed thick bumpy material over 90% of the glove. The palms are extra thick with a leather patch. Lables if high teck kevlar and materials to keep you safe. I went well its daenesi it must be good. Good price on clearance. Normally i wear big leather gloves but since i commute at 4 5am 55km each way i got these. Yes i have heated grips so thick winter gloves dont let much heat in.

If ya notice the gloves wore through and really all damage was above the thumb in a stretch pannel. Looking at it. Its a thin layer of spandex. Thin water proof plastic. Wooly fluff stuff. Cotton linar. Then my skin.

So i did complain to dainesi. If the gloves didnt fail id only have my brokrm bones. Heres there reply.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As for the bike. Could of riden it away thanks to the genuine oggy knobs and the pannier.

Insurance job a friend is going to repair it for me if insurance gives the nodd.

Looks like new mud guard. Nose cone. Rhs fairing. Duck tail. Mirror. Bar end slider. Givi V35 pannier. And a new oggy.

Oggy bracket and too givi brackets did not bend or move. Massive saver that.

Inside pannier matching winter cordura pants. Was running late and didnt put them on as usual. Wouldnt have this big scrape on my knee if i did.

7f0759a7b72d260b1fa2382f93ffb913.jpg

• Member Contributer

Regarding gloves, I have a hard time with most winter glove offerings, particularly textile ones, as most of them do not have the same protection level as good leather race/gauntlet gloves, which is what I prefer to ride with. However, here is where I did find Knox to have a good compromise, good crash protection and decent weather protection. The only thing lacking in the ones I have (Zero Outdry) is warmth. But this is only when temps drop below 35*F, otherwise they are suitable for most So Cal low temps I experience.

Having done a few rides in the low 30's mid 20 temperatures, I did realize that I wanted/needed more warmth. At first I tried silk liners, which did help, just not for prolong periods of time. All of the heated gloves seem to go away from protection in favor of comfort as well. The best solution I could come up with is heated glove liners with a decent 3 season water proof glove. Here I went with a Rev'it Summit H2O in a size large enough to fit over the liners but not so large it was so loose as to be useless. The 3 season gloves have most everything for wet weather and crash protection, but lack the thick liner or insulation filling, which makes them a little more easier to use with heated liners.

Unfortunately I think you, like most of us have too, fell victim to marketing/hype, where we believe that something that is made by a quality gear maker is not going to make something that doesn't offer the protection level we expect of a given product. This, typically comes as a hard lesson learned after the fact. I hope this didn't come off sounding harsh or unsympathetic but I think it's something happens more often than not to many of us.

Personally I never stop looking for the ultimate riding gear and sometimes find myself with several pairs of gloves, pants even jackets and under garments. I often sell or give away some of the gear (Depending on the person/gear, usually it's to someone I owe money or favors to) but usually my choices are good enough to be keepers of a while. Then again I have not put them to the ultimate test and hope I never have to!

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

On the quest for new bike pants (having lost 12 kilos mainly around my waist), the odd mc shop assistent tells me that textile is the future and leather is old skool.

well, fark that!!!.... my leathers did pretty well in my crash and leather it will be.

Keep doing whatever exercise you can to keep your limbs in good condition!

And indeed, a good knob is worth its girth in gold! :goofy:

Yeah the glove saga continues. My last ones were spyke had everything til the fingers split open after many years. But thinking about them thry had leather but cordura stretch panels. Would this be the same problem.

Yeah, all the best for your recovery, as I've already said on facebook. On the gloves front, I had a minor shunt with a van in 2008 on my way to work. When I looked at my gloves the next day I noticed a half-inch chunk missing from the armour over the little-finger knuckle of my left hand, and I hadn't even noticed an impact there with everything else that was happening. Needless to say, all my gloves have hard knuckle armour.

I visited the site today. White mark on the road from the oggy. Tall black fence before hand that has a divot for a driveway that goes in for 10m. Imagine roo heard me went in got stuck then ran out. Fence would cause No visibility from the road. Bike didnt slide far. One side of the drive way to the other. Just a few meters.

Archived