Roads you would like/love to ride

keny

We all have seen a pic of a road that instant got you tought to how lovely it would be to ride it.

I have ridden one that a pic as vid has made me think so, the Nurburgring, back in 2008.

Browsing I found this pic.

9d4a02687aecd44fa5e9a3a1d7bb0ce5.jpg

Now how exiting would it be to ride that road! Its stange 18 of the 2015 Tuor the France cycling, Lacets de Montvernier.

What roads have you seen?

• Member Contributer

I would love to ride that, well love is a strong word as I have a irrational fear of falling. not to much heights but falling from a height. now if there was a wall blocking the view im game. my biggest problem though is I push through my fears and ride up the mountains I just have a hard time coming back down... hrmm never thought about it before now, im kinda like a cat climbing a tree can go up but not back down. yep that's right I just called myself a pu$$y

• Member Contributer

Beartooth Pass/Hwy, that is the one on my bucket list.

BTP.jpg

• Member Contributer

Somewhere in Norway (forgot to take note where this was...)

back2.jpg

As for "one day".......  maybe the Nurburgring. Always put it off so far....

but then again, in the Eifel/Ardennes I've ridden some superb roads that probalby will give it a run for its money (for free....)

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, SamW said:

BTP.jpg

A great bucket list place here are some videos coming down 09-08-13 I will have to go back with my better camera set up!

Being in the Pacific northwest has us in a good area for roads. example Rowena Loop

DSCF6283.jpg

DSCF6282.jpg

DSCF4933.jpg

But there are roads that warrant the trouble to get to, all the roads in Na. Cali. are just epic.

As noted by Vfore, Bear tooth.  Been there in a SUV, now to get back there on the viffer, while there, also hit up Chief Joseph By way Wy.

DSCF6344.jpg

DSCF6315.jpg

DSCF6343.jpg

So many roads here in the west US, be hard to put them in any particular order to do number. Soo many in Ut. Co. Nm.  one could probably spend a a year + just chasing them all down.

• Member Contributer

You guys are killing me with these pictures!!  I live in north Florida and have to travel 500 miles north to find a curve. So I'm making a list [bucket??] to head west and be in utopia!!

• Member Contributer
Being in the Pacific northwest has us in a good area for roads. example Rowena Loop

DSCF6283.jpg

DSCF6282.jpg

DSCF4933.jpg

I'd love to know where this road is. Gotta add it to my list for WA next year

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I'd love to know where this road is. Gotta add it to my list for WA next year

Here ya go.  Right off I-84 Eastbound a bit under 20 miles before The Dalles.  Usually I ride it East, turn around and go back on it West, then Eastbound again - all in about 30 miles.   I hit it at the end of September and there were a lot of bicyclists on it.  They're often not too concerned about riding 2 or 3 abreast in blind corners, so be on the lookout.  Be sure to stop at the overlook - great view up the Gorge. 

https://goo.gl/maps/Wv1W3qtZrMD2

• Member Contributer

I rode over Highway 33 near Ojai, CA with a few VFRD members in 2014 and it was phenomenal. I've been dying to go back, so I'm doing an impromptu day trip from So Cal to Pismo Beach next weekend!

6635413.jpg

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, thtanner said:

I rode over Highway 33 near Ojai, CA with a few VFRD members in 2014 and it was phenomenal. I've been dying to go back, so I'm doing an impromptu day trip from So Cal to Pismo Beach next weekend!

6635413.jpg

Came through here on my way home from Sacramento on Monday. Road was nice and clean with the exception on one small section that looked a bit dirty from dried up mud but I imagine it would be clean by now.

Beat me to it Cogs  ;)  yea heading to Fossil is a hoot huh.

DSCF4947.jpg

so is hitting up Rattlesnake grade  south of Anatone wa. hwy 129  

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, RVFR said:

Beat me to it Cogs  ;)  yea heading to Fossil is a hoot huh.

DSCF4947.jpg

so is hitting up Rattlesnake grade  south of Anatone wa. hwy 129  

+1 on Rattlesnake.  It's a longer haul than Central Oregon but is a good place to go particularly if staying in Baker City or La Grande. 

• Member Contributer
On 10/14/2016 at 10:23 AM, SamW said:

BTP.jpg

Beartooth is outstanding.  At times there can be a lot of Harley passing on it, as Red Lodge, Mt. to Cooke City is a favorite for them.  I got so I was passing them 5 to 10 or more at a time - there were so many.  At times it was like being in a parade.  As long as I could see through curves or whatever I just stayed in the left lane and kept going.  Maybe not the best practice but I'd probably still be there otherwise.  The Exxon in Cooke City was so jammed with Harleys there was a line waiting to gas up.   Going from Red Lodge - Cooke City and back to Red Lodge, got 32 mpg - worst ever on my 6th gen - probably from a combination of the altitude (at times over 10,000 feet) and wringing its neck. 

• Member Contributer
On 10/14/2016 at 5:39 PM, burnes45 said:

You guys are killing me with these pictures!!  I live in north Florida and have to travel 500 miles north to find a curve. So I'm making a list [bucket??] to head west and be in utopia!!

If you get out west, southern Utah has some great roads and scenery.  Here's one suggestion out of many possibilities - Moab then across the southern part of the state on Hwy 12.  I threw in Monument Valley - it's a short detour and a great photo op - where Forrest Gump ended his cross country run.  Southern Utah is like riding on another planet - crazy Coyote & Roadrunner scenery. 

https://goo.gl/maps/1qyXJeW2DKF2

gallery_20057_6985_79631.jpg

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, 01ragtop said:

I just rode CA33 a couple of weeks ago. Hard to keep the speed down, but that is a fun road. My favorite to date is the CA36. With 140 Miles, it just offers so much. 

20151016_093935.jpg

That's the southern portion, but my favourite N-S run when I was living in SF was to take 25 to 198 to 33 to avoid traffic and go as fast as I dare.  (I was younger then!)  Only parts of it were "fun", but the route was a much more interesting way to get between LA and the Bay Area than I-5 or 101.

Speaking of "fun" roads, there is such thing as too much of a good thing, and IMHO many Alpine passes would fit into that category.  Lombard Street in SF is cute, but you wouldn't want to ride on it very long.  I've ridden many passes in Europe and believe it or not, riding a fully laden sport touring bike around endless tight hairpins isn't really that much fun.

Here's a "legendary" road that is fun:

Jebel-Hafeet-Hero-01.jpg

Sadly, I didn't have a bike to ride when I was there, but I did rent a nice Mercedes and ran up and down several times (it's called Jebel Hafeet and it's near Al Ain in the UAE).  It was allegedly built by a particularly sportscar-loving member of the UAE royal family to provide access to one of his palaces.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
On 10/16/2016 at 0:40 AM, Cogswell said:

If you get out west, southern Utah has some great roads and scenery.  Here's one suggestion out of many possibilities - Moab then across the southern part of the state on Hwy 12.  I threw in Monument Valley - it's a short detour and a great photo op - where Forrest Gump ended his cross country run.  Southern Utah is like riding on another planet - crazy Coyote & Roadrunner scenery. 

https://goo.gl/maps/1qyXJeW2DKF2

Southern Utah is my favorite place to ride. Like being on another planet.

I have no pics but another spectacular route is North out of Vernal on hwy 191 to Wyoming with a side trip to Manila, UT on hwy 44.

• Member Contributer

Another personal favorite is Hwy 12 over Lolo Pass from Lewiston to Missoula (the best part is from Kamiah to Lolo).  Opinions seem to vary on it - some think too much LEO presence (never experienced that personally) and more sweepers than tight twisties.  Still, 100 miles of no civilization (National Scenic Byway), curvy road following a river and outstanding scenery is hard to beat.  The sign dates the photo - it's since been change to "99 Miles".  This was from 2006. 

https://goo.gl/maps/pCYAMSwb91x

gallery_20057_5641_400178.jpg

Archived