What can you tell me about my VF500?

Tyy

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Google is your friend. 

Loads of small but significant differences but it as far as I know, an 86 engine will fit in a 84/85 frame. It better, because I will be trying it this summer.

• 4 weeks later...

Out in the shed right now having issues with my throttle cables. The snap when I release is nowhere near as fast as it want it. Also something really dangerous is afoot. When I turn full lock to the right the throttle sticks. This is screaming disaster at me. I think it may have something to do with where the cables are routed now. I put mine in between the forks and past the right hand side of the steering neck. I don't know if they are getting pinched or something. Does anyone have a close up picture of where youve routed your cables?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Tyy said:

Out in the shed right now having issues with my throttle cables. The snap when I release is nowhere near as fast as it want it. Also something really dangerous is afoot. When I turn full lock to the right the throttle sticks. This is screaming disaster at me. I think it may have something to do with where the cables are routed now. I put mine in between the forks and past the right hand side of the steering neck. I don't know if they are getting pinched or something. Does anyone have a close up picture of where youve routed your cables?

You probably just need to add some slack using the adjuster on one of the cables right near the right switch assy.  The adjuster is 8mm with a 10mm lock nut.  Adjust to where the the throttle will still return at full lock both directions.

I found that out when I was half way through tearing it apart to oil the cables. I also learned to keep tension on the cables when they are out of the tube. One of my cables went too far slack an came out of the carb. I decided I could put it back on without removing the carburetor, which turned out to be very hard. With one hand pulling the throttle open, another using improvised chop-sticks, and a screw driver in my teeth. I managed to put it back. In hind sight, I would have exerted a lot less effort removing the carbs. Never the less I feel like I have achieved something... I will accept my trophy of stubbornness now.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the bike off of my makeshift motorcycle lift today. I ought to know before I choose what to do next, if you can remove the rear cylinder head without taking the engine out. If I can indeed do that, it would save me an enormous amount of time and effort. I'd like to hear from somebody who has possibly tried this.

• Member Contributer

Send pm to The Dutchy if he does not chime in today :-)

Hmm... I will test how securely my Henkel pipe is attached in case I do need to remove the whole engine. Actually yeah I need to clean that thing anyways. Just a side note; what have you guys used for surface rust? I bought CLR Metal Cleaner.

As far as i know, you can´t get the rear head removed with the engine in the frame..

Allthough the 500 does have bolts on the outer corners of the cilinderhead, instead of studs like the VF750 and VF1000, the timing chain guides  cause trouble. You can´t raise the head far enough to clear these guides..

• 3 months later...

Hello all, I have silently been working on the VF500 for awhile. I got everything sorted out except the engine. It runs and drives, but it does indeed lack power on the high end. I assume the power issues are only because of the 4th cylinder not making compression. Recently though, on a ride to the shop to get it inspected, a loud rattle developed in the right side crank case, near the clutch. With the surmounting engine problems I want to swap the engine. This leads me to my current predicament, VF500's in my area have been either too expensive or pillaged for parts. There is however a VF1000 for a fair price. Would an engine swap be possible from the 1000? How similar are the bikes(both are '84s)?

• Member Contributer

Sorry man, way too big for your frame. Won't even fit into 750 frame. Rebuild or wait for something.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Forbes said:

Sorry man, way too big for your frame. Won't even fit into 750 frame. Rebuild or wait for something.

Not really relevant here, but the 1000 motor will fit in the 83-85 700/750F frame.  

"The Gimp"

gimp.jpg

• Member Contributer

Gimp! Seriously? Haven't had them side by side, but 1000 frame looked to be shaped differently at the front. Does it slot in or some modification? Interesting, have another bike for another project.....

• 2 weeks later...

Rejoice! I have got my hands on an engine! Thanks to my aunt and uncles connection with a person from the Vintage Road Racing Association here in Ontario I got this engine for free. It was destined for the dump Ive been told. It looks like it has been sitting for a while, very dirty on the outside and one of the intake ports was not plugged, it has rust on top of the valve. However, the rest of the valves are clean, under the valve covers it is rust free. Everything moves when I turn it over with a wrench. Ive yet to peak inside the cylinders, but I managed to prop it up on some wood to drain the oil. Here's where I am worried. The oil seems milky. I dont know if this is because it has been sitting for a long time or if it is coolant contamination.

isYnvxZ.jpg3srgE6S.jpg

I do not know what year this engine is, it has bare metal side covers. Also tell me if this next picture is what I think it is...VsbVCd2.jpgXjwkQDV.jpg

Lastly here is my engine model number, if anyone recognizes where it is from.

Jmvv73v.jpg

1 hour ago, Tyy said:

It was destined for the dump Ive been told.

Maybe they thought it would be a good deed to help a young dude trying to revive a bike nearly twice his age.

Good luck with the project, maybe you are getting to the home stretch. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Good score....yes, seems you have an oil mod. A motor that's been standing for so long would need to be opened? Compression test?

• Member Contributer

There was a table with VF500 engine serial numbers, but it got hosted on Phofofucket so it is gone......  :mad:

the oil mod (not that it needs one...) is a sign it was cared for by its owner at some point!

17 hours ago, Forbes said:

Good score....yes, seems you have an oil mod. A motor that's been standing for so long would need to be opened? Compression test?

Do you mean splitting the heads? Is there anything in the way other than the bolts? Can I do a compression test turning it by hand, or maybe a drill?

Its a Magna VF500C engine by the looks of it.

You don't have to split it but you should take the cam covers off and look at the cams and make sure all the valves are present and correct.

• Member Contributer

Do you mean splitting the heads? Is there anything in the way other than the bolts? Can I do a compression test turning it by hand, or maybe a drill?

Drill may work if all plugs are out! Just jump straight to a battery would be easier.
Someone may have a better method, but I'd be rinsing the motor with paraffin before spinning it to much. If your oil looks as it does from the sump, it's not going to look good in the rest of the motor.

Ummm a Magna engine?? Is this thing going to work? The mounting points seem to be the same. I inspected the engine under the valve covers, since I need in there to do a valve timing, and it looks rust free. My 56'000km engine had rust though. As with the paraffin thing, how do you recommend doing it? A quick google search is trying to tell me its a bad idea.

Archived