Why Did Suzuki and Honda Choose a Screamer vs Crossplane Crank Engine

This article just popped up at Motorcycle.com.  Someone finally did a bit of digging and spoke to Suzuki's engineers.  My guess is the same reason Suzuki chose to stay with their screamer engine versus going with Yamaha's Crossplane design applies to Honda's reasons to stay with a screamer for their CBR1000RR engine design.

http://www.motorcycle.com/ask-mo-anything/why-are-yamaha-the-only-ones-to-use-a-crossplane-crankshaft.html

• Member Contributer

The CBR is the CBR so it only makes sense that they stay with the inline 4, had they gone with a V4 it would have been a RVF or VFR. Why they went with a traditional design vs cross plane design, makes sense based on the article. Simplicity, reliability and cost. Personally the CBR can stay the same for all I care, it's the "RVF" I'm looking/waiting for! Damn you Honda hurry up already, that new Ducati SS is starting to occupy my thoughts!

Six of the top ten riders is WSBK, including the two Kwaks at the top, are on screamers, it must be a pretty decent setup.

The only unattractive motorcycle noises I've heard came from parallel twins.

23 minutes ago, jhenley17 said:

I don't know about that... those damned Harley's that sound as though they won't stay running are pretty awful. Sounds like wet flatulence from a walrus.

I have to agree that engine sounds add to the experience of riding a great motorcycle.

But here's my take on engine sounds:  All high performance engines sound great.  I remember hearing the loud growl of a V10 Viper race cars at Le Mans and thinking wow!  That sounds really different and authoritative.  Back then the French crowds loved the V10 Vipers and the V8 Corvettes because they all sounded so different from what they were used to, which were turbocharged V6's and Inline-fours.  The sound of a H-D engine, is also good if it comes from a well tuned motor with a well tuned exhaust.  An air cooled pushrod Moto Guzzi engine also sounds fantastic, with its characteristic gear whine and bass laden low tones.  I'm equally smitten with the sound of a high screaming Formula 1 or a V8 Ferrari.  Ever hear an Audi or VW turbocharged inline four engine nowadays?  They sound great!  So inline four, versus V4, versus flat plane crank I-4, V-twin, with 4-valves/desmo,  or pushrod, they all sound very good in their own right.  In addition, they can also sound horrible when they're out of whack or have ratty, crappy, exhaust!  The quality of the exhaust sound doesn't come from the engine firing order or configuration, it comes from engine tuning but even more so, it comes from exhaust and intake tuning. 

I don't know about that... those damned Harley's that sound as though they won't stay running are pretty awful. Sounds like wet flatulence from a walrus.

The bikes with straight pipes sound like ass, but that can be said of any motor. There are a few that don't need to let everyone in a two-mile radius know that they have a fat hog and a small penis, and they sound kind of good.

Am I the only one who likes the screamer sound of an I4?

In WSBK, the Ducs and Yams perk up my ears because they're different, not because they are better.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

Six of the top ten riders is WSBK, including the two Kwaks at the top, are on screamers, it must be a pretty decent setup.

This is kind of like the chicken and the egg. WSBK use bikes based on production machines and since the majority of them are IL4 screamers, that is what the majority of what is on the Grid. Ducati and Aprilia being a couple of exceptions. Have to say that Chas has done an awesome job of breaking Kawi's total domination. Would be nice to see an RVF on the grid though, not that there's anything wrong with the CBR per se.

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, BrianF said:

I'm sure many like it, to me, it sounds like a wind up toy. Never was keen on them.

• Member Contributer
28 minutes ago, BrianF said:

Yes ! Leave this board immediately. 

You don't belong here ! :goofy:

• Member Contributer
46 minutes ago, thtanner said:

I'm sure many like it, to me, it sounds like a wind up toy. Never was keen on them.

The rental Triumph Tiger 800 triple I had sounded like an electric drill .... totally soulless, except in neutral with a cold engine when you couldn't hear the engine above the can full of spanners noise coming out of the transmission 

• Member Contributer

I4, I6, whatever, still doesn't top my ex-girlfriend, now she was a screamer! :goofy:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Thumbs said:

The rental Triumph Tiger 800 triple I had sounded like an electric drill .... totally soulless, except in neutral with a cold engine when you couldn't hear the engine above the can full of spanners noise coming out of the transmission 

My Street Triple R sounds like a bag of trapped, angry bees. I can't stand it thus I am selling it, haha.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, thepretender said:

You never lived on 19th in Huntington Beach did you? If you did I may have heard you.  lol

Nope and it technically it wouldn't have been me you would have heard! :wink:

• Member Contributer

Yamaha have proven the crossplane design with 4 championships for Valentino Rossi, three for Jorge Lorenzo, all going against Hondaand Ducati V4's.. If they choose to use in GP then it works, and very well.

Lets not forget Ben Spies utter domination, on the crossplane R1 his first and only year in WSBK, taking the title.. Then Max on the V4 Aprilia.. It's 2016, and the mfr's are using increased electronics on the inline 4's in WSBK to make them effective.. Without these complex electronics, the V4's and crossplane would dominate.. The crossplane or V4 gives the rider better feel out of the rear tire, due to the power pulses coming from those pistons and the uneven firing order..

I am a mere mortal, novice track guy, and I get much better feel out of Vees or the virtual V4's I own.

They hookup better out of the corners because i don't have my own laptop jockey to tune the traction control, anti-spin, and wheelie control of the bike.. I like the mechanical solution better compared to the electrical solution.. On my 1299 and RSV4 test rides, I turned the bs malarkey nanny riding aids off!

If I were buying today, and I might be, it would be the RSV4, all day, and on Sunday.. Suzuki and Honda can keep their literbikes.. That latest Ape, it's like God made it.  Their V4 is making 201 HP at the crank and it's bloody marvelous.. Going back to the Ape dealer tomorrow to wheel and deal.. 

On 10/13/2016 at 11:12 AM, BrianF said:

Nope, I love the sound as well.

Archived