I would appear to have bought.....

Skids

• Member Contributer

....a VFR800X Crossrunner!

2015 model but only 190 miles from new. Pristine condition, includes small topbox, Akrapovic exhaust, centre stand, TomTom sat nav & heated grips.

Collect Sunday, hopefully!

edit: yes, I got the name wrong!

vehicle_228281992_734758.jpg

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Saoirse said:

Nice one, what price was she? handy looking bike, vfr power and good riding position for tipping about.

>£2k off list.

Yup, it's the new 800F engine so smooth, torquey & still get the Vtec kick.

• Member Contributer

And here she is outside my garage.

Very pleased.

CR 1.jpg

• Member Contributer

Ridden a couple of hundred miles on the CR now. Loving it! Riding position is a revelation, though it is taking some getting used to. Bike is heavy when pushing it around, very top heavy, but the second you sit on it, it's easy and when you start to move, the low rev response is superb. Idles at 1500rpm and pulls immediately, surprisingly noticeable. Steering feels very twitchy to start with, almost unstable, but that's down to the extra leverage from the high wide bars. After a while, it becomes easier and steering is sooooo much easier than the Vtec. The riding position is comfy though I'm finding I relax too much and my backs curves outwards which isn't good for it but focussing on my back position just raises my head & neck into the wind flow so I may need to look at a higher screen. It's not too bad for now and I'm experimenting with different positions to find which is most comfy. 

Mirrors are superb, great view behind from both and very clear picture throughout. Brakes excellent and progressive. Dash has a LOT of info on it but I'm getting used to it. Seat is a bit slippy and combined with the lack of grips on the tank means I slide forward under heavy braking. Hopefully sorted soon with tank grips. 

The suspension, as well as having longer travel is far too soft. It only really is a problem on bumps so my commute to work is fine & x-country to Aylesbury today it handled fine but it does pogo a bit over the bumps. 

I love the LED lights, indicators act as low power running lights then brighten when you indicate!  

It feels slower than the Vtec, but then I look down at the speedo and realise I’m going at least as fast as I would be on the Vtec, if not faster so it is deceptive. Fuel consumption is about the same as the Vtec but the smaller tank means I’ll be filling her daily for work commute, which is probably the only down side to the bike for me. Other than that, she’s fantastic. The riding position really makes a huge difference, not only for my hands but for riding in general and I can now see why the adventure-style bikes are so popular.

I just finished four days of chasing VFR's on my daughters CB500x and thought about your post here. The only thing I missed was all of the torque from the v4.  One thing I did learn is that the more upright body position means you better lean forward on hard corners. I slid the front tire several times by leaning in but not forward before I figured out what was wrong. Never made the edge of the tire, just overcame the grip of the stock tires during left/right transition.  If I could get the CrossRunner here, I'd be thinking about it.

• Member Contributer

The more I ride her, the more I love her.

That riding position is a revelation!

I appear to have just bought one as well.

Honda Australia have just reduced the price by $2k so I was able to get one for not much more than I sold my gen8 VFR f  for.

I have not picked it up yet but I am looking forward to the riding position change.

I still have my RC36 winfield bike.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:15 PM, Skids said:

I continue to love this bike. :beer:

But you're weird !

:goofy:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Woodie said:

But you're weird !

:goofy:

Says the man wearing pink tights!  :491:

57fcb031caf56_Binkieandme2_jpg_8a3b155809535fb154ffd21acb6ec658_thumb_jpg_b66018ee97558343183207852de4a3e0.jpg

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Skids said:

Says the man wearing pink tights!  :491:

57fcb031caf56_Binkieandme2_jpg_8a3b155809535fb154ffd21acb6ec658_thumb_jpg_b66018ee97558343183207852de4a3e0.jpg

They are NOT pink...... they are Red and White striped.

besides, it was "For charidy mate!"

Man I wish they brought these to the states.  But I don't think VFR's are selling worth a damn so they likely won't.  Though it being an adventure style bike could help it's sales if its priced correctly.  I'd very likely trade my 98 in on one.

• Member Contributer

You are missing a gem I'm afraid. I'm loving it.

Not perfect of course...typical Honda concrete slab of a seat and the heated grips are not getting warm enough (into the dealers next week for a new grip ecu) and the suspension is.....interesting! But it's suiting my commuting requirements perfectly.

• Member Contributer
28 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

Taking this one across tomorrow?

No. She's a commuter and the seat is far too hard for Mrs Skids.

Tomorrow we'll be on the 1200.

• Member Contributer

Would be interesting to see if a better seat becomes available for the Commuter beastie. do wanna swap it for a nice old VTEC?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 11/11/2016 at 2:22 PM, Woodie said:

Would be interesting to see if a better seat becomes available for the Commuter beastie. do wanna swap it for a nice old VTEC?

Sorry m8, missed this.

No thanks, I have my own nice old VTEC. Don't suppose you want to buy it? 

Seat is acceptable for now. I may have to get one of those strap-on thingies :wacko:  for Mrs Skids for our NZ push which I could move onto the Cr when we get back.

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, crakerjac said:

How would you compare it to your 1200?

The Cr? I wouldn't. Though they are probably closer in some terms than many other bikes, they are too far apart for me to really compare other than they are both Hondas and easy to ride. The 1200 is so fooooooking quick and with the suspension updated, a dream to ride.

The Cr is still a VFR800, Vtec-engined but with most of the wrinkles smoothed out. The suspension is adequate for my commuting but otherwise needs work. Easy to ride, reliable, well built just like it's sibling, the 800F only the riding position is much easier on my wrists then the more sporty bikes. Brakes could be better too but them I am spoiled by the awesome brakes on the 1200.

Both suit my current needs. 

Hope that answers your question. :beer:

Archived