Fork tear down question

Hawkeye Driver

Finally getting around to getting to the 1000F.  Stripping the frame and decided to tackle the fork tear down.

Got the bolts out of the bottom of the forks w/o any issues.  Now trying to get both top caps off - no joy, even in the vise.  Was thinking about putting some heat on it but wanted to ask if that will damage the oleo plating or if anyone has any other suggestions for breaking the caps loose.

OBTW, don't think they have ever been opened.  The fluid that came out was a foul smelling, brownish coffee color.  Yuk.

• Member Contributer
Finally getting around to getting to the 1000F.  Stripping the frame and decided to tackle the fork tear down.

Got the bolts out of the bottom of the forks w/o any issues.  Now trying to get both top caps off - no joy, even in the vise.  Was thinking about putting some heat on it but wanted to ask if that will damage the oleo plating or if anyone has any other suggestions for breaking the caps loose.

OBTW, don't think they have ever been opened.  The fluid that came out was a foul smelling, brownish coffee color.  Yuk.

Stick the fork back in the triple, ready made clamp.

19 hours ago, BCmcrider said:

Stick the fork back in the triple, ready made clamp.

Thanks for the tip!  I did think of that but it took me about 2 days for that light bulb to come on.  I used the lower triple, put that in the vise and the caps came out with almost zero effort.  Then I got to the c clamps in the lowers.  Both side's c clamps were well rusted.  Left side come out without too much trouble but the right side proved otherwise.  When i compressed the c clamp about 1/2 inch on each side just broke off.  Getting the rest of the clamp out too some creativity but everything is apart now.  I'll strip and repaint the lowers and should have them back together next weekend, assuming i can get some dust seals and c clamps delivered by then.

Archived