Mint 2000 Model. Picking up tomorrow !

Headhunter

Picking up tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

After owning a 6th Gen for 80K miles, a 7th Gen for 35K miles, and now shopping for another bike I have come across a MINT condition 2000 model with just 21K on the clock.

I've read that these are the ones that you want.  I contemplated getting another 1200 but the excitement and the visceral excitement is just not there.  That being said, this bike is spectacular and has all of the mods that I would do myself. (Sergeant Seat, Yoshi Pipe, Risers, Zero Gravity) 

Metallic Yellow Paint is perfect.

Since my riding will consist of the Cherohala Skyway and the areas around it, this seems like the perfect bike for that task.

Opinions?

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Don't buy it, piece of junk. :pinocchio:

Mine has 130 k now, 85 of which I put on it and I still enjoy it every time I ride.

• Member Contributer

Sounds great! A tad expensive for my taste, but then I've never found a bike that had everything I wanted already!:goofy:

I love the 5th Gen unapologeticly! I just bought a y2k to add to my '99 because I still had ideas to modify it but didn't want to mess with my already heavily modified bike.

I find it to be less refined than later Gens, more raw in a good way. 

And I love it on the C'hala! It's amazing on 68 south out of Tellico Plains in 3rd all the way to Copperhill!

• Member Contributer

I'd say it's a bit expensive, but So Cal has a flooded bike market right now. That would be ~3300-3500 or so here. If it's super immaculate, and it shows the owner really took care of it, it could be worth it, though.

For reference I paid $4000 for my 98 w/ 1199 miles 2-3 years ago.

• Member Contributer

FWIW, purchased a 1999 with 24K miles in excellent shape for $2,700.00, from a Kawasaki dealership.

For price reference, I bought my '98 with 39K miles for $2600 two years ago (craigslist, Lenoir City). Very nice for riding the Cherohala Skyway and 68.  A little "porky" for Deal's Gap, compared to my CBR, but way more comfortable. Currently has 54K miles and climbing.

• Member Contributer

I paid $2800 for a well used non pristine 2000 with the right front Springs and an Ohlins out back-lopsided, repainted, but generally a solid bike.  Maybe $$4500 if it had all service records, was pristine AND had aftermarket suspension (to me the most important is how it rides). $3500 without...

Nice,  yea maybe a little bit high, just maybe though, i wouldn't let mine go for anything less thats for sure.  a clean 5th gen in great condition can fetch upwards of $5k. so it really comes down to how one feels, does it talk to you then by all means get it, it's not like there is one around the next corner in that condition, that said, did you pick it up?

• Member Contributer

Congrats man!  Beautiful bike.  And don't let them tell you that " the 98-99 are the ones you want".  I get sick of hearing that crap.  Here's why-

- you can remove the cats.  Just buy a '98-'99 system off flea bay.  They aren't hard to find.  Or expensive.

- The '98-'99 condom mirrors sucked.  Most people replace them with  the '00-'01 anyways.

- The dash on the '98-'99 is lame compared to the '00-'01.  The font alone on the '98-'99 drives me nuts.

- What's the point of FI if you have to sit there and fiddle with a fast idle switch?

Enjoy your bike. I just got done riding the Tail of the Dragon this week on a BMW K1200LT.  Although comfortable it was a real handful in those tight corners.  I was wishing I had one of my VFRs for sure, especially my Y2K!

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up my 2000 model this past SUN. 11k mi., new tires, needs chain/sprocket replaced, brake/clutch fluid flush, maybe brake pads.. $2.5k cash. 

2016-10-23%2014.00.44_zpsa8dqm0rg.jpg

Now placed among my other street going Hondas: 

IMG_7472.JPG

My last VFR was nearly 10 years ago, sold it after putting 14k mi. on it: 

SUC50369.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 10/14/2016 at 5:07 AM, deltaboxii said:

Congrats man!  Beautiful bike.  And don't let them tell you that " the 98-99 are the ones you want".  I get sick of hearing that crap.  Here's why-

- you can remove the cats.  Just buy a '98-'99 system off flea bay.  They aren't hard to find.  Or expensive.

- The '98-'99 condom mirrors sucked.  Most people replace them with  the '00-'01 anyways.

- The dash on the '98-'99 is lame compared to the '00-'01.  The font alone on the '98-'99 drives me nuts.

- What's the point of FI if you have to sit there and fiddle with a fast idle switch?

Enjoy your bike. I just got done riding the Tail of the Dragon this week on a BMW K1200LT.  Although comfortable it was a real handful in those tight corners.  I was wishing I had one of my VFRs for sure, especially my Y2K!

OP -- great bike!!

omg...that font is terrible...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Archived