Mint 2000 Model

Headhunter

Has anyone figured out how to get all the front Pistons and one in the rear with the lever and the other two in the rear with the foot pedal?  That to me seems like the best setup...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Epyon007 said:

Has anyone figured out how to get all the front Pistons and one in the rear with the lever and the other two in the rear with the foot pedal?  That to me seems like the best setup...

Castrol Honda briefly ran something like that on the RC45 in SBK under the name Racing CBS or some such. 

Memory's a bit hazy but I think it was Aaron Slight and John Kocinski so '97 ?

sketch-1480156301536.png

Yes I've heard they used something on the race bikes but I didn't believe it was the same thing was stock on the VFR.

I guess it's a nice thought to have something more like the race setup as I would love to have the full power of the 6 Pistons at my finger tips.  I did a pad upgrade and I wasn't that impressed.  With all of that said does my commuter/tourer really need brakes on par with my race RC51?  I guess it would be nice but at what cost?  May be time to look into stainless lines, as 18 year old rubber lines can't be delivering the kind of performance they once were.

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, Epyon007 said:

Yes I've heard they used something on the race bikes but I didn't believe it was the same thing was stock on the VFR.

Oh, no way was it the same hardware as the road bikes, just the same idea of linking the brakes (more of an image thing for the CBS I think). 

IIRC, Slight gave the system a fair shot while Koc' would not touch it.

Seeing how every serious racer lifts the rear wheel under braking these days, I think it will remain a footnote in history. 

Oh yeah there is no way it was the same equipment, I meant set up as in how it worked.  Haha anyone racing on my VFR brakes would be fast as hell cause they ain't stopping worth a damn that's for sure!

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, Epyon007 said:

Haha anyone racing on my VFR brakes would be fast as hell cause they ain't stopping worth a damn that's for sure!

Spoilt by the RC51's brakes or something wrong with your Viffer ?

I know they're not race grade but surely the stock brakes are not that bad, are they ? :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Given the DCBS/LBS 2-circuit calipers you could certainly rig it to work that way if you really wanted to, but most people would probably instead opt for state of the art conventional brakes (as would I).  Who knows, maybe combined brakes would actually work better?  Try it and test it!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

The back brake is easy enough to reconfigure so the pedal moves all 3 pistons, take the brake hose off the PCV fitting and fit it straight to the brake master with a double banjo bolt, alongside the existing hose. The hose length and bend are perfect, but beware of the effect of hydraulic ratios between the caliper and master cylinder piston. Basically the smaller the master, the more leverage effect at the caliper, which can make for grabby and mushy brakes. Using a CBR600F4 master fixes that, and is exactly what I'm using.

Up front some more creative thinking would be needed if you wanted to retain the 3-piston calipers. I suspect you could drill through the inside of the calipers (from the bleed port) so that all three were internally connected, then blank off one of the hose connections. As with the rear, you'd want to increase the master cylinder size to match the increase in caliper piston area. You would need to either block off the SMC hose connections, or remove it altogether and fit a solid rod in its place. Then throw away all the linked brake plumbing (its a great feeling!).

Or....find some slightly bent VTR1000F Superhawk or CB919 forks, and use the lowers and adjustable damper internals, then you can fit your choice of 4-piston calipers from CBR600, 929, 954 or SP1/2.

• Member Contributer

Epyon007's original question was about re-configuring the OEM system to include one of the rear caliper pistons into the front brake circuit, which is a little more complicated than that, but still just a matter of running brake lines and matching caliper piston areas to master cylinder piston areas.  I should point out that this configuration is essentially what the OEM linked braking system tries to do, but without the secondary master cylinder and everything--but wouldn't Honda have gone without all of that crap if they could make everything work without it?

Ciao,

23 hours ago, RC36Rider said:

Spoilt by the RC51's brakes or something wrong with your Viffer ?

I know they're not race grade but surely the stock brakes are not that bad, are they ? :unsure:

I guess I've been spoiled by most every bike up until now when it comes to brakes.  I've had almost all super sport bikes except my GS500's.  The Street Triple brakes are great but not earth stopping I really had no problems with them.  The Brembos that were on my Hyperstrada were flat out awesome.  I like the idea of the linked brakes and I see nothing really wrong with the system as used for a street application.  They just don't seem as "good" as I had hoped.  It could be a function of the weight too.  As I recall adding the stainless lines to my RC51 really changed things for the better.  Perhaps one day I'll get on the lines for the VFR.  I added HH pads and they are better but still just ok at the moment.  Like is said I still need to do a fluid flush and could do new lines at some point.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, KevCarver said:

Maybe CornerCarver will pop in to show off his pic of his stoppie with stock linked brakes on his '98?

Not entirely stock...EBC HH pads but stock hoses and everything else.

gallery_7288_7182_47731.jpg

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, cat0020 said:

Nice form.

Actually several mistakes the pilot is making in this picture.  Never let be it be said that I am totally useless, I can always be used as a bad example. :tongue:

Should I tell you all or would anyone like to posit their opinions? 

Actually several mistakes the pilot is making in this picture.  Never let be it be said that I am totally useless, I can always be used as a bad example. tongue.png

Should I tell you all or would anyone like to posit their opinions? 

Your feet are off the pegs and your nuts are on the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Nice butt!!!!   :goofy:

The Wolf that is..

• Member Contributer

Ok, great guesses so I will provide the answer key (even though no one asked):

1. Can't really see but my eyes are on the ground looking at a point between the cones. They should be up and looking down range still. Focusing on that spot could cause you to loose your spatial/situational awareness and bring the bike on over on its' nose.

2. I have come to a complete stop and the bike is on the way down from about 20-24".  The guy behind me at the gate waiting to go next said he could see my under oil pan plastics and the front tire. Even though I have already come to a stop, my feet should still be on the pegs NOT desperately searching for terra firma.

3. My arms are extended and elbows locked.  In a real panic situation this would prevent me from steering around whatever was the cause of the emergency braking procedure.

Better form would have the knees squeezing tightly to the tank to support the forward weight transfer while the forearms remained loose and parallel with where the road used to be and the riders eyes looking ahead and planning a path of avoidance after scrubbing off enough speed to take that action.  Of course, the feert should remain on the pegs.

Funny thing about Forbes suggestion to brake earlier, I told my sons via blue tooth as I was next in line for this drill that I felt like the front tire was warmed up (this was on the third pass of this drill) and it was going to allow us to see if a VFR with lonked brakes could loft the rear wheel.  Should have heard them shout HOLY CRAP! when the rear came up that high.

The 5th gen VFR still enjoys one of the top 10 braking distances ever recorded by either Cycle World or Motorcyclist (I don't recall which) of 105 or 108 feet from 60-0.  Was 3rd best braking distance they had ever recorded at the time of the test in 98 or 99.

• Member Contributer
Ok, great guesses so I will provide the answer key (even though no one asked):

1. Can't really see but my eyes are on the ground looking at a point between the cones. They should be up and looking down range still. Focusing on that spot could cause you to loose your spatial/situational awareness and bring the bike on over on its' nose.

2. I have come to a complete stop and the bike is on the way down from about 20-24".  The guy behind me at the gate waiting to go next said he could see my under oil pan plastics and the front tire. Even though I have already come to a stop, my feet should still be on the pegs NOT desperately searching for terra firma.

3. My arms are extended and elbows locked.  In a real panic situation this would prevent me from steering around whatever was the cause of the emergency braking procedure.

Better form would have the knees squeezing tightly to the tank to support the forward weight transfer while the forearms remained loose and parallel with where the road used to be and the riders eyes looking ahead and planning a path of avoidance after scrubbing off enough speed to take that action.  Of course, the feert should remain on the pegs.

Funny thing about Forbes suggestion to brake earlier, I told my sons via blue tooth as I was next in line for this drill that I felt like the front tire was warmed up (this was on the third pass of this drill) and it was going to allow us to see if a VFR with lonked brakes could loft the rear wheel.  Should have heard them shout HOLY CRAP! when the rear came up that high.

The 5th gen VFR still enjoys one of the top 10 braking distances ever recorded by either Cycle World or Motorcyclist (I don't recall which) of 105 or 108 feet from 60-0.  Was 3rd best braking distance they had ever recorded at the time of the test in 98 or 99.

I was being sarcastic, could plainly see it was an advanced course. We all need to be reminded from time to time. Have been in that scenario as I'm sure many have, expect the unexpected I'm trying to instill in my daughter.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Forbes said:

I was being sarcastic, could plainly see it was an advanced course. We all need to be reminded from time to time. Have been in that scenario as I'm sure many have, expect the unexpected I'm trying to instill in my daughter.

and clever.  I liked your comment.  Try to get her eto look further down the road than the vehicle directly in front of her. Once she does that she will be ahead of 80% of the population on the road.

• Member Contributer

Apologies, CornerCarver, one of those days when you not thinking straight. Was going to say ' I was being humorous' but didn't fit, now I see 'sarcastic' didn't fit either....
I stick by the philosophy that no matter how old, we learn something new all the time.
Thank you for posting and explaining your picture.
Regards
Craig

On 10/31/2016 at 9:17 PM, Headhunter said:

An XX will be in my garage by Spring. 

On 10/31/2016 at 9:21 PM, Cogswell said:

Are looking for carb'd or FI?   I keep a steady watch and have not seen many for sale. 

For those who are looking to add a Blackbird to their garage: eBay listing of 2000 Honda CBR1100XX.

• Member Contributer

Forbes, I see no reason to think you should apologize.  My post veered significantly off topic.

Cat that is a very clean XX.

On 10/25/2016 at 6:39 AM, cat0020 said:

Just picked up a 2000 model, 11k mi. new tires, needs chain/sprockets replacement and brake/clutch fluid flush and maybe new brake pads. $2.5 cash. 

2016-10-23%2014.00.44_zpsa8dqm0rg.jpg

2016-10-23%2014.01.23_zpsrodygwwq.jpg

I've put about 160 miles on it after I picked it up... old familiar feeling of a refined machine, my last VFR was nearly 10 years ago. 

Now the new VFR sit among the other street going Hondas in my garage. 

IMG_7472.JPG

That is one hell of a score!!!

Archived