Mint 2000 Model

Headhunter

After owning a 6th Gen for 80K miles, a 7th Gen for 35K miles, and now shopping for another bike I have come across a MINT condition 2000 model with just 21K on the clock.

I've read that these are the ones that you want.  I contemplated getting another 1200 but the excitement and the visceral excitement is just not there.  That being said, this bike is spectacular and has all of the mods that I would do myself. (Sergeant Seat, Yoshi Pipe, Risers, Zero Gravity) 

Seller is asking $4400.  Metallic Yellow Paint is perfect.

Since my riding will consist of the Cherohala Skyway and the areas around it, this seems like the perfect bike for that task.

Opinions?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Seller is asking $4400.  Metallic Yellow Paint is perfect.

It better be...OEM plastics are being discontinued (as I discovered a few years ago trying to buy a yellow OEM rear cowl).  But if you can deal with a yellow bike (I can!), the Y2k is a lovely bike to own.

Ciao,

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up a 2000 model, 11k mi. new tires, needs chain/sprockets replacement and brake/clutch fluid flush and maybe new brake pads. $2.5 cash. 

2016-10-23%2014.00.44_zpsa8dqm0rg.jpg

2016-10-23%2014.01.23_zpsrodygwwq.jpg

I've put about 160 miles on it after I picked it up... old familiar feeling of a refined machine, my last VFR was nearly 10 years ago. 

Now the new VFR sit among the other street going Hondas in my garage. 

IMG_7472.JPG

• Member Contributer

It does seem a strange logic that you don't get the excitement off the 1200 so you buy an 800 but you've made the decision for yourself and it sounds like you have found a great bike. Best of luck.  :beer:

4 hours ago, Skids said:

It does seem a strange logic that you don't get the excitement off the 1200 so you buy an 800 but you've made the decision for yourself and it sounds like you have found a great bike. Best of luck.  :beer:

From what I hear the power castration in the first few gears is quite the buzz kill.

• Member Contributer

People who write "from what I hear" should 1st testride the Veefalo....

Am sure that removing the restrictions (and knowing that they are removed...) gives an increased buzz.

Unless  you also do it to dodge "full power" Belgian registration tax at the same time.

22 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

People who write "from what I hear" should 1st testride the Veefalo....

Am sure that removing the restrictions (and knowing that they are removed...) gives an increased buzz.

Unless  you also do it to dodge "full power" Belgian registration tax at the same time.

If I could find one to ride I would do it.  This is why I say "From what I hear" as I can't get first hand experience and why I'm asking someone who does.

• Member Contributer

Well, having been -test- riding the VFR1200F. DCT and X-tourer at length I can only say WOW what an engine... Not experienced any of the gripes some have with it.

But I'm not Rossi, only been riding for 30+ years.....

Not ridden a reprogrammed ECU one in direct comparison so if owners say it is the bizniz, then I take their word for it

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Dutchy said:

Well, having been -test- riding the VFR1200F. DCT and X-tourer at length I can only say WOW what an engine... Not experienced any of the gripes some have with it.

But I'm not Rossi, only been riding for 30+ years.....

Not ridden a reprogrammed ECU one in direct comparison so if owners say it is the bizniz, then I take their word for it

Wasn't the restriction something that only affected the early models of the 1200? I thought this was for the first two model years and was resolved (for the lack of a better term) on the later models. Either way, I think whenever saying something like "From what I heard/read..." a disclaimer of "but I have not experienced this first hand myself..." would be a way to mention what others may have experienced and that this may actually only be "hear say"! :wink:

• Member Contributer

Well if the 2014+ 1200 is restricted in gears 1 and 2 then fook me, it'll be ridiculously quick when it de-restricted.

The BIG hit comes later though......from 50/60 onwards, it rips yr arms out and doesn't stop until well north 140! And I ain't talking kph!

• Member Contributer

Fifth gens are getting to be the best bargains in motorcycling.  Mint condition with just 11k on the clock and a slipon for $2,500 . . .

I'm curious how you like your 'Bird compared to the Viffer.  I've been snooping around for about a year to see if the right one pops up.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Epyon007 said:

nevermind......

Was it something I said?  :unsure:

21 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Wasn't the restriction something that only affected the early models of the 1200? I thought this was for the first two model years and was resolved (for the lack of a better term) on the later models. 

Nope, the retardation of 1st & 2nd is for all 7th gens.

The first year I had my 2010 I thought I would not want/need the ECU flash. But after a while that sudden jump of power got to be very annoying. Little power, little power, little power, BIG POWER! It was most noticeable in long curves and sweepers and taking off to merge onto main roads. The ECU flash makes the power delivery consistent and smooth throughout the entire power band. I am no Rossi either, but that flash was money well spent.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, marriedman said:

Nope, the retardation of 1st & 2nd is for all 7th gens.

I remain unconvinced of this as I haven't experienced what you say however I'm happy to be proven wrong, if someone can do that.

18 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Fifth gens are getting to be the best bargains in motorcycling.  Mint condition with just 11k on the clock and a slipon for $2,500 . . .

I'm curious how you like your 'Bird compared to the Viffer.  I've been snooping around for about a year to see if the right one pops up.

I have had both carb & FI XX models.. current one in garage is a 03 FI model, stock bike, non-molested, purchased back in 2013 with 14k mi. at $3.5k.

Previously I had a 98 model that was tuned to perfection with Erion 4-into-1 exhaust, but in the wintertime when temp is sub-zero for few days straight, it would experience some difficulty at cold start. 

IME, after owning over 45 motorcycles in 20+ years of riding, there is no bike more refined than the XX, even compared to modern BMWs I've owned.

The XX is just so well built and everything seems to be in the right place to go fast and smooth. If you are looking to save time on long highway miles, XX is the bike to do it.

Stock form is best for clean running and reliability, exhaust mod may allow you to shed a few pounds but the stock weight really makes the bike more stable at higher speeds. 

I use my XX for my annual road trip to visit relatives, 500+ mi. one-way trip.. usually 10 hours of solid saddle time on any other bike.. but on the XX is about 8 hrs with stops. 

In comparison to the VFR800 I've owned, XX is just more solid of a bike at higher speeds, less fatigue after long hours in the saddle; regardless of which gear you are in, twist the throttle and you get acceleration pretty quickly... even two-up. Interestingly, the carb model had quicker throttle response than FI model, maybe the perfect jetting and exhaust mod had something to do with that. XX is not as nimble in the twisties, when changing directions quickly in switchbacks you really need to trust the bike and mean it; hanging off the bike is not as effective as leaning with the heavy bike. 

XX do tend to run hotter than VFR, carb model was cooler running, FI model regularly has its radiator fan on during the summer time, legs to get hot when pace slows down. 

• Member Contributer

Congratulations!

My experience with a Y2K VFR is that it takes years off your emotional age. And fifth gens are made for the Cherohala Skyway.

Good luck; safe riding.

On October 27, 2016 at 1:31 PM, cat0020 said:

I have had both carb & FI XX models.. current one in garage is a 03 FI model, stock bike, non-molested, purchased back in 2013 with 14k mi. at $3.5k.

Previously I had a 98 model that was tuned to perfection with Erion 4-into-1 exhaust, but in the wintertime when temp is sub-zero for few days straight, it would experience some difficulty at cold start. 

IME, after owning over 45 motorcycles in 20+ years of riding, there is no bike more refined than the XX, even compared to modern BMWs I've owned.

The XX is just so well built and everything seems to be in the right place to go fast and smooth. If you are looking to save time on long highway miles, XX is the bike to do it.

Stock form is best for clean running and reliability, exhaust mod may allow you to shed a few pounds but the stock weight really makes the bike more stable at higher speeds. 

I use my XX for my annual road trip to visit relatives, 500+ mi. one-way trip.. usually 10 hours of solid saddle time on any other bike.. but on the XX is about 8 hrs with stops. 

In comparison to the VFR800 I've owned, XX is just more solid of a bike at higher speeds, less fatigue after long hours in the saddle; regardless of which gear you are in, twist the throttle and you get acceleration pretty quickly... even two-up. Interestingly, the carb model had quicker throttle response than FI model, maybe the perfect jetting and exhaust mod had something to do with that. XX is not as nimble in the twisties, when changing directions quickly in switchbacks you really need to trust the bike and mean it; hanging off the bike is not as effective as leaning with the heavy bike. 

XX do tend to run hotter than VFR, carb model was cooler running, FI model regularly has its radiator fan on during the summer time, legs to get hot when pace slows down. 

An XX will be in my garage by Spring. 

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

An XX will be in my garage by Spring. 

Are looking for carb'd or FI?   I keep a steady watch and have not seen many for sale. 

Archived